Author Topic: Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge – 2022  (Read 1893 times)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: Winter Holiday Cards in July Challenge – 2022
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2022, 12:34:09 PM »
Daria, I have been using older stamps from the now debunked stamp companies of Just For Fun and Sparkle N Sprinkle. I forget to use these stamps, so I have pulled them out for this year.

Here is one more card.

April

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5812#top_display_media

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2022, 09:57:06 PM »
April, I just realized that I needed to go to page two to see your posts.  I'm such an idiot.  I love your latest Christmas cards.  I left comments as soon as I saw them.  Sparkle N Sprinkle had some really wonderful images.  I wonder if another company will get the rights to produce them.  I have a couple of really old, used Just for Fun stamps too. 

Thanks for playing.
Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2022, 01:52:46 PM »
i haven’t gotten any more cards done this past week.  Kitchen Sink stamps has been around a long time.  They may have been doing layering stamps before anyone else did.  I think they are usually pretty easy to line up and I like how they give some color suggestions for the layers.  I’m glad everyone likes the bulb stamp!  They often have sales so if you are interested in them, sign up for their emails to get a notification when they have a sale code!
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2022, 07:21:38 PM »
Thanks, Heidi.

Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2022, 04:24:08 PM »
April.  I knew I could count on you to make a bunch!  Ten cards already!  Two more wonderful cards.  Love those penguins, and that cut & emboss folder is a winner.  Thanks for playing.  Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2022, 01:43:47 PM »
Here's my first Christmas card.   Yay!

Marianne Designs Christmas Stitching Border

Using metallic threads is a pain in the neck.  The only advice I can offer is don't use very long strands of it, and keep a firm hold on the last stitched placed as you stitch the next one.  I had to check online to see cards made with this design.  It wasn't easy to see where one petal ended and another began.  They overlap a bit.

Daria 

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2022, 01:47:54 PM »
My month is not going great and I am not getting the cards done that I wanted to.  My grandpa went on hospice this week and passed last night.  I do still hope to get to some Christmas cards and be ahead of the game this year.  Just wanted to give an update on why I’ve been absent.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2022, 09:28:25 PM »
Daria, would running the thread through some wax help, I have seen others do that with some threads but I think it is to make them stiffer, and that is probably not what you need. I have only worked with it once and I had a hard time also!

Heidi I am so sorry for your loss of your grandpa.

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2022, 01:56:06 PM »
Heidi, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. 

Connie, thanks for that tip.  I had heard about using wax on fussy floss to tame it down and almost ordered some, but then I read some advice that said to never do that.  I forget the reason.  I'm not sure it would work on metallic thread which is already super smooth and slick.  It might help to minimize fraying. 

Jennifer McGuire has a new video out where she talks more about stitching.  I'm going to try what she said to do with metallic threads.  She threads her needle and has the loose ends at the tail of the thread and the needle where the loop is.  That way the needle can't slide off the thread (which happens a lot), and the loose threads can be taped to the back of the cardstock so they don't fray (which also happens a lot).  I use two strands of metallic thread so this would work perfectly.  You still need to hold the last stitch firmly while you stitch the next stitch.

I wish I had seen the video before starting my second piece.  It's all done except for the flower.  Now, I'll have to make a third card so I can try out Jennifer's suggestion.  I'll let you know how that turns out.

Daria

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2022, 08:34:34 PM »
I always tape my thread down to the back of my stitching, unless I do cross stitching, some times I actually work the thread into the stitches, I haven't seen that stitching one Jennifer has done, hope you have good luck trying it

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2022, 01:28:09 PM »
Connie, I also start by taping down my thread.  For some reason, I remembered a recommendation to secure the thread by putting the loop on the bottom and then putting your first stitch through it.  That does work, but it was definitely not the way to go with metallic thread.  I am now doing what Jennifer suggested, and it is so much better.

I just saw your cards in the gallery and left comments there.  I have never heard of the Hot Off the Press cards for coloring.  Pretty cool!  You did a great job coloring them.  Beautiful work.

Daria

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2022, 08:33:07 PM »
Thanks Daria, yes I buy them off of Paperwishes.com they have their own line of goodies.