Author Topic: August 2014 Kit-In-An-Envelope Swap/Challenge. Celebrating Creativity!  (Read 25070 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Re: August 2014 Kit-In-An-Envelope Swap/Challenge Signup & 'Blog'
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2014, 01:31:41 PM »
Daniel I haven't moved so you still have my addy!

This is my first kit swap and I have been thinking the past few days about what images I would want to include.  Now after reading y'alls responses to planning, I may have to plan a little and not just pick some things to put in an envelope…though that may be fun too….  :smile:

My "instinct" is not to precompose a card without having everything there….my plan was to pick a few stamped images and now maybe some embellishments or papers and then wait until I get my envelope and try to meld everything together!

I thought the "3 items" was using three stamped images in a project….now I see after reading y'alls response it doesn't have to be….right? :-\

Since we are mailing everything in a regular envelope, anything embellishment would need to not be super thick so it doesn't puncture the envelope---so do y'all cut out cereal boxes to line the envelope and help protect things inside?

I am trying to get my feet wet with understanding a kit swap without splashing all of y'all in the process!   :laughhard:

~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: August 2014 Kit-In-An-Envelope Swap/Challenge Signup & 'Blog'
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 02:03:18 PM »
Daniel I haven't moved so you still have my addy!

This is my first kit swap and I have been thinking the past few days about what images I would want to include.  Now after reading y'alls responses to planning, I may have to plan a little and not just pick some things to put in an envelope…though that may be fun too….  :smile:

My "instinct" is not to precompose a card without having everything there….my plan was to pick a few stamped images and now maybe some embellishments or papers and then wait until I get my envelope and try to meld everything together!

I thought the "3 items" was using three stamped images in a project….now I see after reading y'alls response it doesn't have to be….right? :-\

Since we are mailing everything in a regular envelope, anything embellishment would need to not be super thick so it doesn't puncture the envelope---so do y'all cut out cereal boxes to line the envelope and help protect things inside?

I am trying to get my feet wet with understanding a kit swap without splashing all of y'all in the process!   :laughhard:

Your 'thinking' is good, Melissa! the '3 item' needn't be stamp images. Far as 'padding'? I don't, but some do. I just avoid thick stuff, but it's your call.

When April & I came up with the idea for this Swap/Challenge, we agreed that we wanted to make it one where swappers could get their feet wet, but really wanted to see us all going into the 'deep end' of the pool--even if we could only doggie paddle. Trust me (right  ::)!), this swap/challenge has lots of lifeguards. We will help you learn to swim the creative channel, pal. :laughhard:
Daniel

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Swapmates have been posted in the OP. Please post that you have read it. :smile:

While 7/28 is the mailing deadline, we strongly recommend mailing ASAP 'cause you never know how long it will take your envelope to reach its destination.

Same for doing & sharing your 'kept kit' project. Experience has taught us that sooner is better.
Daniel

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
I've read the list and I have your address Daniel.  So I'm all set.

When I build my kit, I usually start with a project in mind.  Often it is the tag swap project.  Then I add to the kit with stuff I'm trying to prompt myself to use.  So there is usually a mix of coordinating stuff and random stuff.  I also tend to be a bit stamped image heavy and everything else light.  And tend I to put way more stuff into my kits than I have time to use in a month.
Sarah

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Terrific, Sarah! Like you, I'm usually image 'heavy' & other stuff 'light'--especially bulky stuff.
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
I read it Daniel and have sent for addy.

Another question…  So when we make our projects later, are we ONLY using from what is in our kept envelope and received envelope and not adding additional things from outside the envelopes (except for maybe the base layer)?    The answer to this question may would probably influence what I add in the kit…  :smile:

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
Thanks, Daniel!

Sarah, I have your address. I will probably get the kit out Monday or Tuesday.
I will post when I mail it :)
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
LeighAnn - cool.  I can't wait to see what I get.

Melissa - Nope.  You can add whatever you want from your own stash.  You just have to create one project using three items from your kept kit and one project using three items from your received kit.  Then you can create as many other projects with whatever combo of items you want. 
Sarah

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
Got it! So Carribeangirl... I think I have your address. it's a PO box right?  #>

Offline Looser

• Stampers
...Another question…  So when we make our projects later, are we ONLY using from what is in our kept envelope and received envelope and not adding additional things from outside the envelopes (except for maybe the base layer)?    The answer to this question may would probably influence what I add in the kit…  :smile:

Melissa. Nerd's answer is correct. Once you complete a '3 item' piece from either kit, you may also share other projects that employ less-than-three from that particular kit--kept or received. You may also combine items from both kits once you've done both 3 item ones. HTH.

One thing all of us have found after we did our first month or two of this swap is that we often have way more stuff than we can use. Lots of players have put their leftovers in a large envelope & use some of them when they can.

Kathy. Yes. CG's addy is a PO Box #

I'm 99% done loading my envelope.
Daniel

Offline CaribbeanGirl

• Stampers
My kit is complete and ready to start its journey to Heidi tomorrow  #> One less thing I have to worry about before my surgery!  O0
Warning: Easily Distracted By Glitter

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
I'm still working on my kit Michele….the interesting thing I am dealing with is finding what "celebrate" means to mean in conjunction with what stamps I have to express that! 

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Ok I have happened upon a question:

When y'all stamp the image y'all are sending, how much of a border around the image do y'all leave?

Do y'all stamp each image, regardless of size (small or large), in the middle of a 4x6 CS for example?   

MicheleD

Can't wait to see the kit, Melissa!

I guess I usually leave at least 1/2" border around images and sentiments I stamp, I figure sometimes people want to mat an image and other times they want to fussy cut. 

I have not even started to make my kit, but look forward to getting started soon.

I will send a msg to Neysa for her address.

Offline neyw

• Stampers
Michele- I responded to your message. I sent you my mailing address. Looking forward to the swap.

Thanks,
Neysa