Author Topic: August 2014 Kit-In-An-Envelope Swap/Challenge. Celebrating Creativity!  (Read 25680 times)

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
Re: August 2014 Kit-In-An-Envelope Swap/Challenge. Celebrating Creativity!
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2014, 08:43:17 PM »
Heidi, that's one of my favorite things about this swap. It a good supply stretcher since it shows us how someone else might use something.

Daniel, I love your suggestion! I'm gonna have to play around some with that idea O0

Sarah, I thought you would like that dog image. Can't wait to see what you did with it.

Now I'm curious to see what your gonna be up to Daniel!
LeighAnn

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2014, 11:00:29 AM »
...Now I'm curious to see what your gonna be up to Daniel!

LOL, Pug! Let's just say "I'm not in Kansas anymore... ;D

ITA with your observation of how this (any) swap/challenge provides us with opportunities to stretch our materials & our minds. ;)
Daniel

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2014, 07:20:29 PM »
I managed to post both a picture of the kit I kept/ sent Daniel and the project I made with the fabulous kit I received from LeighAnn.

So here's my kept kit.  I think I may have gone a bit overboard again.  :o

When I got LeighAnn's kit I had 2 ideas immediately, one for a birthday card for a friend that I haven't started yet and the other for a scrapbook page.  Here's the scrapbook page I got finished last weekend: Backyard Bliss.  I've been planning on starting a scrapbook for all the pictures I have of my pets.  So thank you LeighAnn for prompting me to get started.  And here's a close-up of the title, which I created with my silhouette.

Sarah

Offline neyw

• Stampers
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »
Just checking in.  Another crazy week.  Yesterday was the work picnic. 38 year old women should not do a 3 legged race- I am still sore. Today Maddie and I had fun checking out an Heirloom rubber stamping show. I saw the August stamp of the month from Close to My Heart and I am in love. Owl themed- what a hoot. I look forward to getting my hands on it. We had fun doing some great make - n- takes.  I got great deals on paper.  My best finds were stamps from a local Salvation Army though. Great images. Can't wait to use them in future months.  I so do not want to go to work tomorrow and would rather stay home and stamp.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 08:02:42 PM by neyw »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2014, 10:47:44 AM »
Sounds like lots of fun you had Neyw!! 

I'm checking in too!  I am almost finished with my kept card….trying to decide on a sentiment if any…

I have been definitely pondering what to make with my received kit, but I know I will have to shift gears so I am trying to first finish the kept kit. 

Here is the kit I made to send and keep!  http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=423&message_id=563908c937ebe919929d6f233220750f&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock
~~Melissa :)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2014, 09:33:46 AM »
Daniel, the wreath that is behind your angel medal, it looks like it has stars cut into it?  Does the wreath dies cut have stars?

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2014, 11:00:50 AM »
I got 2 more projects uploaded. Both include items from my kept/sent kit.

popeze santa  santa closeup  Michelle D. Yes the card folds & this fits in a 4x9 envelope. The PopBlocks fold & (being clear plastic) if a bit shows you don't really notice.

metal angel  angel closeup

Melissa. Good eyes! The stars were punched with a handgrip punch (Fiskars). The wreath was made by using 2 sizes of a Nestabilities die. I did the added punching before folder-embossing the wreath. Hope you'll get a chance to play with your metal angel, too. I colored the metal with alcohol ink before stamping with StazOn.
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2014, 12:18:21 PM »
Oh that is a great idea using two nestiabilities to make a wreath!!  I'm tucking that tip away..never thought of it!

I really liked how delicate the stars are in the wreath.  Really cool!

I plan to use my angel first to make a project.  Hope to start today.

I finished my kept project and decided to leave sentiment off.  I added some white pearl accent so I am waiting for it to dry before photographing and posting…I want to see how it behaves after drying.

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2014, 01:12:53 PM »
Sounds good, Melissa. What I didn't realize until I went back & looked at the pix is that you can't really see that the angel is on a wreath.  ;D

I came 'late' to doing diecuts, but--just like punching--I love doing double & even triple diecutting on a single piece. Might be a useful 'techniques' topic. ;)
Daniel

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2014, 11:13:36 AM »
Sarah, love what you did with the kit. Your pups are adorable!

Here's another card I made using my kept kit. It may be the girliest card I've ever made.
I forgot to mention in my upload what I used from the kit-
It was the focal image and the PP.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=428

I've got a couple more I need to get uploaded soon too.
LeighAnn

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2014, 11:27:51 AM »
Loving the projects! Just a reminder... Please share what your (required) projects are 'celebrating'--either in your upload comments on on the thread.

Trust me, my piece from Nerd's kit is gonna be a Celebratory 'stretch'. ;D
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2014, 11:29:33 AM »
Here is my kept KIT project.  (I just realized I don't know why I am capitalizing KIT….)

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=429&message_id=d72850a12be428dcd0118c88ec6a9483&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

I need to finish posting what I did though, b/c there is a limit on characters on the description page when I was uploading it and it wouldn't let me type anything else.

So here is what I typed and you can pick up from #3 if you are reading this having come from the gallery first….

"Here is my first project I made with my kept KIT.  I am celebrating summer. From my kit I used the stamped image, the wave border, flower cut-out, star/snowflake punch out, and 2 four-leaf flower cut-outs.

1. Colored stamped image (was stamped with Mementos dye ink) with Prismacolor markers.  I colored the background with Farber-Castell chalks.

2. I colored the wave border by pouncing (is that the correct term?) on distress inks with my sponge applicator. I used three different colors of distress inks.  I then used my blue powder puff chalk ink pad and rubbed it across the cut-out until I liked the coverage of the ink.  Adhered the wave border to the stamped image CS and left to dry.

3. Used the Cuttlebug and a nestability die to cut out the image and wave border as one while using a post-it note to hold die where I wanted.  Also cut out another cut-out using same nestability on kraft paper.  Backed the stamped image with the kraft paper offset up a tad and adhered.

4.  I used another wave border from the kit (if I had planned this from the beginning I could had used only one border).  I applied the same inks and in the same way as I did with the first wave border EXCEPT I had the border taped to the table and card at about an inch below the top of the card base (with the waves on the border cut-out pointing towards the top of the card base)---in this way I used it as a stencil.

5. Took the flower cut-outs and colored them with distress inks.  I pounced all the colors on and most used any where from 3 to 5 or 6 different colors.  

6. I formed the base flower by turning the colored side over on top of an old sock and using a wooden embossing stick to rub the "petals" into shape.

7. Glued the flowers together and let dry.

8. Curled the star/snowflake layer on tips.

9. Applied enamel accent to some of the circle cut-outs on the star/snowflake layer and left to dry.  I was afraid the enamel accent would leach into the CS, but it didn't---instead the color from the distress ink leached into the white enamel accent---despite I HAD heat set each layer before assembling.  Thus I applied the enamel accent again and let dry. It is more white now, but not entirely still.  

10. Glued flower to card.  I left the space to the left of the flower open for sentiment.  and originally I was going to use one of the tag cut-outs in the kit to cover up the flower petal that was accidentally cut upon, but I couldn't decide on a sentiment so I left blank to use later.

TFL!"  

I need to go take a photo of the side of the card to show the curled snowflake/star layer.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:31:45 AM by yellowcherrios »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2014, 11:43:14 AM »
Ok I think I have figured out after reading a few others descriptions that I need to not separate lines, I do not need to number tasks, etc.  I'll try that with the next one!   :smile:  

oh one more thing…. I have learned a lot with your angel you sent on metal, Daniel.  I don't own nor have used Stazon, so I have figured out that my Prismacolor markers with remove/combine colors with the stazon ink.  lol!  Luckily I figured that out on the side of the sample and not on the angel herself!  But I have learned to work with it when coloring her.  I had wanted to "patina" her with black sharpie, but figured out that that erases all the yellow you colored on her!  So that was out since I like the yellow ink.  I did accidentally erase her eyes but luckily I had embossed them into the metal kinda. 

Going to work more today on the kits!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:49:44 AM by yellowcherrios »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2014, 01:55:23 PM »
WTG, Melissa! You are not alone in learning how to deal with solvent inks. I'm still learning 'what erases what' on metal, as well as what will 'bond'.

LOL on finding what works for you on sharing 'how-tos'. I still do some long explanations, but mostly keep them short--for two reasons:
1. I'm lazy. :D
2. Figure folks will ask for more info. ;)
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2014, 03:39:40 PM »
Everyone is making such fun projects this month! I guess it is because of the "celebrate" theme?. 
~~Heidi~~