Author Topic: August tag swap *partners posted!  (Read 17190 times)

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
Re: August tag swap *partners posted!
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2014, 10:07:43 PM »
Sadie, that's no problem at all! I would be happy to swap with you! If that sounds good to you, just let me know and we can exchange addresses O0.

I have played around with crayon resist on my stamped images as well as with embossing folders.
I came across a blog post of Anna-Karin's where she showcased the technique with embossing folders. Her results were fantastic.

I did a part of my tag with an EF and used a burnt sienna crayon for the resist. I also used colored card stock. I liked the result so now I want to try some more with different colors.

My tag to Daniel is almost complete. I'm just kinda stuck on the arrangement of things.
LeighAnn

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 10:41:37 AM »
Yay, Sadie! I'd be pleased to swap a tag with you, too. No prob if you go with Pug, tho'--she offered first. :tickedoff: ;D

Pug. I hearya on the arranging. I'm in the same spot. Hope to resolve that today so I can move forward on my tag.
Daniel

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 11:40:04 AM »
Well my tag is almost done.

I tried the kraft tag again with different stuff and it was still a fail, LOL.

I found glossy card stock and used that in my tag. The only thing I noticed was that it wipes off some of the crayon color when you wipe off the ink. I like it though. Hope my partner does too!

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 02:04:20 PM »
Looking forward to seeing some tags soon!

I've had so much fun playing around with this technique, I'm considering starting another challenge for it. :laugh:

Kathy, I found some glossy cardstock in my stash but I haven't experimented with it yet. I thought that might be the case with it rubbing off easily.
LeighAnn

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 11:03:50 AM »
Thank you for the offers to swap, but I am just not sure that any of my experiments are good enough to swap yet.  I am trying though to get a complete tag using this technique.  I tried 2 on my plain card stock and they are ok but I am not sure they look like what they are supposed to look like.  So then I pulled out some inkjet glossy photo paper and tried that........oh my is that bright, of course I used green and red distress ink so it is really green and red.

So when using plain card stock do you stamp and then color with crayons and then ink and then rub the crayon off?  I watched several youtube videos on crayon resist and some did that and others just colored and then left it.  Which is the correct way or are both correct?

The glossy one I didn't even try to rub the crayon off because I was afraid everything would rub off.  The first one I did I tried rubbing the crayon off and it just spread the waxy all over the tag.  It looks ok but not fabulous. 

The tag I like the best I used the stamp and colored it with red and white crayons and then used my gelli plate to apply acrylic paint, and then rubbed the crayon off (which just kind of spread it around). 

Help!  Am I at least on the correct path for doing this technique?
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 12:03:18 PM »
Thank you for the offers to swap, but I am just not sure that any of my experiments are good enough to swap yet...

And there's your problem, pal! :D Waiting 'til something is 'good enough' has stopped more folks from having the joy of swapping than any other thing I have ever encountered. BTDT & ran into that as a teacher & design-professional numerous times & had a difficult time not shaking people & urging them to 'just do it'!

Do I like every piece I've ever done? As if! But I do know that if I hadn't bit the bullet & gotten in the game, I'd be the poorer for it--not to mention the entire universe. ::) ;D

C'mon Sadie! Swap a tag! I promise you will enjoy the freedom it provides!

Daniel

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 03:42:21 PM »
Ditto to what Daniel said!!

Sadie, I've seen so many videos  and blogs on the crayon resist. I played around with the technique, using various cardstocks and crayons.

Here's what I found was easiest to use-
I used just regular card stock for my stamped resist. It is a heavy weight card stock. I liked that the best, just because I knew I wouldn't wrinkle my paper when I buffed the crayon.
I didn't have much luck with the glossy paper. I'm going to keep playing around with that.
I first used my white crayon and added markings on my image, then I colored. I chose a large open spaced image for my tag.

Another fun crayon resist?
Take regular white or cream card stock or a tag and run through an embossing folder. Next, take a white crayon(you can use color here too if you wanted) and remove the paper and rub the crayon heavily over the raised areas. Then ink up the piece with distress inks or watercolor paints. Take a paper towel and buff the raised areas. You get a really neat effect. It does work best with EF's that have large raised areas.

Daniel, I finished your tag and it's taking a nap in the mailbox and will be headed your way tomorrow!
LeighAnn

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 05:23:01 PM »
My tag is in the mail!

I used glossy card stock. Stamped with Staz-on then colored. I inked it and very lightly rubbed. Some of the crayon came off but most of it stayed. I really like the way it turned out.

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 06:12:52 PM »
I have to admit to struggling with an idea for this tag.  But I finally got one and started on my tag today.   :smile:  I haven't tried buffing the crayon part yet, so we'll see how that goes. 
Sarah

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2014, 10:06:45 AM »
Sounds like we're all having fun with this swap/challenge. For me, lots of fun is seeing how the crayon resist works when we ink over it & then wipe off any excess ink. Regardless of how much we buff or not, the effect is often amazing--especially if you use white crayon on white stock.

My tag is resting, too. I did another resist element using a stencil. Came out 'interesting' & gives me even more ideas for other resist pieces. Gonna be fun to see where we all go with crayon resist. It's irresistable & easy!  You picked a good one, Pug!
Daniel

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2014, 11:30:08 AM »
Sadie, that's no problem at all! I would be happy to swap with you! If that sounds good to you, just let me know and we can exchange addresses O0.

This sounds wonderful since I looked and I have until the 30th to mail the tag.  I will pmail my address if you still are open to swapping with me.  And thank you so much.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2014, 12:44:41 PM »

This sounds wonderful since I looked and I have until the 30th to mail the tag.  I will pmail my address if you still are open to swapping with me.  And thank you so much.

WTG, Sadie! So pleased you decided to take the plunge. Trust me you'll enjoy the swim!

Finished my tag for Pug & put it out for pick-up. Nothing special about it--just my usual masterpiece... :laughhard:
Daniel

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2014, 01:29:16 PM »
Lol, Daniel! Looking forward to getting your tag :D

Sadie, I sent you my address! Looking forward to swapping with ya O0

SWLady, I'm gonna try the resist again with stazon. That's part of the problem I had when using the glossy cardstock. My ink kept smudging when I would buff the crayon.
LeighAnn

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2014, 02:32:55 PM »
Stamping on glossy can be such a PITA. Using solvent ink should help, LeighAnn.
Daniel

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
I ended up stamping on watercolor paper and it worked out well.  I'm just trying to decide if I want to add anything else to the tag or keep it fairly simple.  I should have it finished by the end of this weekend at the latest.
Sarah