Author Topic: Do you combine acrylic paints with stamping?  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Do you combine acrylic paints with stamping?
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
Initially when acrylic paints began entering the stamping world, I felt I already had sufficient coloring mediums and only selected a few to try.  Well of course a few lead to a few more.   And then I didn’t use some often enough and they dried rock hard and could not be revived.  At first it was Tim’s dabbers and then Claudine Hellmuth’s acrylic with lead me to current Tim’s acrylic paints and some fluid Golden paints.  But nonetheless I enjoyed the “different look” on my cards. 

I tried my hand at some small canvas and had fun with that.  Have you tried your hand at a canvas?

Recently I tried making an acrylic skin-that’s a couple of acrylic color added to some type of gel medium.  I found a tutorial in Craft Stamper (my favorite technique magazine) and gave it a try.  Last week I wrote two posts on my blog about my experience and shared several photos.  Here is a direct link to part 1.
And a link to Part 2.

I made a mini album last January as part of the 2Pea master challenge board.

So would love to hear what you doing with acrylic paint.
Thanks for sharing!...Jan

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 01:17:11 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Do you combine acrylic paints with stamping?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 01:00:27 PM »
I have paint around, but it is all been used for crafts for the kids.  I do like the idea of the acrylic skin.  That is something I actually might do. I loved that mini book you made. 

I will be watching this thread for more ideas.
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:37:16 PM »
I have several different acrylic paints.  I have used them to stamp and to emboss with.  I use the Ranger Dabbers to put paint on stamps and stamp with that.  I have also put acrylic paint into an embossing folder and then put the paper in the folder and run it through my fuse.  It gives a totally different look.  I also have Liquitex basics and the claudia helmeth studio paints which I have used in all sorts of ways in crafting.

I use the Liquitex basics on my gelli plates and in my art journaling.  I have also used it on canvas for gifts.  I have gel medium that I mix with acrylic paints and pearl ex.  I use it on art journal pages and on canvas.  I also use it for glue like a decopodge type for glueing papers on a base.  It also works as a final finish if you have used products that are not water soluable such as Tim Holtz distress stain that has been activated with water.

I have also mixed acrylics with modeling paste to add dimension to projects.

I have taken a piece of scrapbooking paper that I didn't necessarily like and paint it with a thin coat of white gesso and then put acrylic or distress ink on top to make it more of what I like. 

I like the look and feel of projects done with acrylic paints especially used with a gelli plate for backgrounds.  I think it depends on what pleases you whether you will like using acrylics or not.

Sadie
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline GeorgiaMolly

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 08:36:48 AM »
I do a lot of what Sadie does, however most of what I do with acrylic paint is for backgrounds on art journal pages, spreading a thin coat of Gesso first.  Jan - your post is a good reminder to use it even more, because I have a ton of it, and of course I love to combine it with stamping.  I started with the small bottles of Golden paints, then moved on to the cheaper Amsterdam Student tubes, got really interested in the Paper Artsy Fresco Finish chalk paints, then the TH Distress paints, and finally the Dina Wakley heavy body acrylics (these are fabulous).  I often spray the backgrounds with water, and I really love moving the paint around with a baby wipe.

Molly

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 10:24:49 AM »
I love the use of acrylic! I like your skin result and want to find time to play around with that.

I have used acrylic paint with stamping and love the results.

I really like using gesso as a resist with stamping too.

I've made canvases before. Their fun to work with and I love combining stamping and painting together.
LeighAnn

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 11:55:52 AM »
I am excited to see others enjoy using acrylic paints with stamping!

Sadie it would be fun see a couple of your cards where your use acrylic paint when  stamping with an embossing folder with acrylic paint.  I posted 2 cards with this technique with distress inks yesterday so it would be fun to see the different looks.

I hope everyone feels free to post any of their acrylic work.

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 01:13:39 PM »
What a fun topic, Jan!

My 'usual' stamp/paint is using acrylic as ink. Learned that back in the '80s & abused several of my rubber stamps in the learning curve. ;D

Haven't done paint 'skins' in donkey's years, but as a'waste not'  general crafter, I did (along with others) find ways to use the leftover paint on our palletes.

Might see what's in my hoard of stored acrylic paints--brush-on & dimensional--& see what I can produce.
Daniel