Author Topic: What are you looking for in a swap?  (Read 5625 times)

Offline CaribbeanGirl

• Stampers
What are you looking for in a swap?
« on: December 07, 2014, 01:13:05 PM »
Heidi started a very interesting thread regarding challenge suggestions and since Daniel and I are still trying to decide on our next adventure, we thought it might be fun to ask for everyone's input. We still like the idea of swapping and wanted to get thoughts/suggestions from everyone else. What fun things would you like to see as a potential swap? Anything you would like to see continue or change from our past KIAE's?
Warning: Easily Distracted By Glitter

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: What are you looking for in a swap?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 02:21:32 PM »
The thing I like about any 'swap' is that another person has done time & effort beyond just sharing a project. Not that challenges don't, BUT exchanging materials, projects, etc, are such a fun way to add to the 'challenge' of connecting with & building friendships within a group.

With AI still in its early stages, I'm hoping this will be something that all of us here can explore & contribute to.

As we near the start of a new year here @ AI, my crazy co-host & I are alreaady chatting about what we want to do for an ongoing swap in 2015. Feel free to share your desires for any sort of swap--not just the 'old' KIAE.

Doesn't have to be an on-going swap. A 'one-off' swap is fine, too!

Looking forward to hearing from y'all.
Daniel

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:11:37 AM »
Ditto to what Daniel said.

One thing I really enjoyed about the KIAE is seeing how others used supplies. It can often give you ideas for your stamps that maybe you had never thought of.

Another thing great about swaps is getting to see someone else's work in person. It's always so much better when viewed IRL.

I will think about this some more. Can't wait to see what y'all have in store for 2015 O0.
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 10:39:56 AM »
This is harder to say than the challenges.  But one thing I can say for sure, I prefer that when I swap, I don't spend a lot on postage.

I agree that it is nice to see someone elses work in person also.

I will think about it!
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 11:06:41 AM »
Heidi started a very interesting thread regarding challenge suggestions and since Daniel and I are still trying to decide on our next adventure, we thought it might be fun to ask for everyone's input. We still like the idea of swapping and wanted to get thoughts/suggestions from everyone else. What fun things would you like to see as a potential swap? Anything you would like to see continue or change from our past KIAE's?

Well since you asked, LOL.  I agree with howdyheidi about postage.  If I put everything I want into the kit to send I spend a fortune on postage.  My local post office is a pain in the behind about their postage.  The one kit I sent I think I had to put 6  or 8 stamps on and I didn't think it was too full.  It had the 3 images stamped 2 times each, some paper, and a few embellishments.  The last kit I mailed for December I only put 2 stamps on and felt bad that there was hardly anything in it.  It didn't come back so I hope it gets where it's supposed to go.  If I mail a plain homemade card at my local post office I need to put at least 2 stamps on it or it will come back for postage; and that is without any embellishments with dimension on the card. 

I really have enjoyed the KIAE swaps that I was a part of and would do them again if you keep doing them, I will just need to limit what I send so the postage isn't so bad.  And thank you both for doing the KIAE swaps, like I said I have enjoyed being a part of them.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 01:21:30 PM »
Good feedback, everyone! TY!

OK. Let's talk 'postage'. It appears there is a wide range of what local PO's require. I have rarely gone beyond 2 stamps for any of my stuffed envelopes. And--far as I know--no recipient has had to pay extra postage. Not sure how we can handle this, but might be worth checking with your local POs to see what they charge for a regular-size envelope--weight, etc. We welcome any suggestions y'all have.

Far as contents' cost? April & I (from the start) agreed that we didn't want swappers to feel they had to purchase items for their kits. It's the reason we held off from doing 'themes' that were image-related or projects that 'required' specific materials like solvent inks, craftfoam, etc.

Heidi's thread has definitely provided us with lots of ideas. Yay to her & all her posters.

For swaps in general? I thoroughly dislike swaps that require sending multiple pieces to a central distributor. I know lots of folks don't mind them, but I'm not into them.  I'm very much a fan of one-to-one swapper matchups.

Looking forward to more feedback--here &/or on Heidi's thread. :smitten:
Daniel

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 03:00:38 PM »
You know... I keep wanting to chime in on this topic, but I just can't figure out what makes me participate or not in the swaps. LOL!! I have liked the tag swaps and the KIAE swaps. I love getting other peoples stamped images. Other than that, I just don't know... guess it's because there's so much going on this month that my brain can't figure it out, LOL

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 03:17:48 PM »
Great post, Kathy!

Like you, I can't always tell you why I join a particular swap. Could be the item (like Pug's tags) or the hoster. Time frame (for swaps) does matter. If it doesn't allow for transit time, I'm probably loathe to join.

'Special' materials is less of a 'deal-breaker'. If the host is able to allow flexibility or intrigue me, I'm often drawn to a swap or challenge. Case in point? StampWilly's 'glossy' challenge. I was able to 'find' a piece & so enjoyed it that I bought fresh glossy.

And like all of those posting...I love getting stamped images from others--especially when they are multiples so I can play lots of ways.

Keep them coming pals!
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 01:42:37 AM »
It may be helpful to understand all the rules related United States postage for mailing a letter.  Here they are as presented on USPS.com

Letter

Dimension:   Minimum to Maximum
Height   3-1/2 inches (8.890 cm)   6-1/8 inches (15.557 cm)
Length   5 inches (12.700 cm)   11-1/2 inches (29.210 cm)
Thickness   0.007 inch (0.018 cm)   1/4 inch (0.635 cm)
Any item smaller than the minimum dimensions is not mailable.
For items larger in length, width, or thickness, see large envelopes or packages.
For envelopes, length is the dimension parallel to the address.
For letter-sized items over 3.5 ounces (0.099 kg), large envelope prices will be applied.
Letters that meet one or more of the nonmachinable characteristics below are subject to the nonmachinable surcharge.
•   It is a square letter
•   It is too rigid – does not bend easily
•   It has clasps, string, buttons, or similar closure devices
•   It has an address parallel to the shorter dimension of the letter
•   It contains items such as pens that cause the surface to be uneven
•   The length divided by height is less than 1.3 or more than 2.5
Square Envelope The minimum size for a square envelope is 5 inches x 5 inches (12.700 cm x 12.700 cm).

Large Envelope
Dimension Large Envelope
Minimum*-Maximum
Height 6-1/8 inches (15.557 cm) 12 inches (30.480 cm)
Length 11-1/2 inches (29.210 cm) 15 inches (38.100 cm)
Thickness 1/4 inch (0.635 cm) 3/4 inch (1.905 cm)
* Large envelopes exceed at least one of these dimensions.
For example, an envelope 10 inches long x 8 inches high x 1/4 inch thick
 (25.400 cm x 20.320 cm x 0.635 cm) is considered a large envelope because it exceeds the minimum height dimension.

Large envelopes that are rigid, nonrectangular, or not uniformly thick pay package prices.
For large envelopes, length is the longest dimension.
For larger items, see package prices.

RETAIL First-Class Mail—Single Piece
Stamped letters1--weight not over (ounces)      

1    $0.49             
2      0.70             
3      0.91             
3.5     1.12             

Large envelopes Flats             
Weight not over (ounces)                  
1    0.98             
2    1.19             
3    1.40             
4    1.61             
5    1.82             

Parcels
Weight Not over (ounces)     
1    $2.32
2    2.32
3    2.32
4    2.50
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 01:54:02 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 08:08:43 AM »
Thanks for posting that info Jan.  I think the real problem is when your envelope is so thick that it qualifies as a parcel and not an envelope.  That jacks the price from 1-2 stamps to $2.32+.  I usually put my envelopes in the mail box to go out instead of going to the PO and I do not have problems.  I almost always put two stamps.  I have not heard about anyone needing to pay extra.

However, if I use a bubble mailer, I know that is a parcel and will take it to the PO to get weighed.

~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 09:55:28 AM »
I'm with Kathy in that I cannot think what makes me join  swap, lol!  I know at times, as some have said, it may have to do with how busy I am. 

When I was able to do the Kit Swap, I got creative on what to put in the envelope so I could send quite a few options without bulking up the envelope---thus I sent quite a few pre-punched CS borders to be used as ribbons/stenciles/etc. 

Sometimes what hangs me up when I am finishing a swap is that I want to send a little something extra (small RAK) to my partner.  I know hosts/hostess have said no need to add extra things, thus this is something I am having to work with myself on  :smile: for not feeling bad that I'm not sending some RAK with my swap item.  I haven't always sent something, and when I haven't, I hoped my partner wasn't going to be disappointed/offended.  Now this "wanting to add a small RAK" doesn't always bother me, but is something that I think about and thought to share it here.

I do like the kit swaps and hope to participate in them more next year (can't believe it's almost the next year!).  I did like that swap on Twopeas we did for the metal for example---thus swaps that involve making and swapping something not necessarily a card (even though we're all card makers :smile:).  But unfortunately (possibly), sending metals or other more 3D items through the mail could cost more…..unless that was part of the challenge too….   ;)  (like Kathy's cool 3D ornament she sent through the mail).

Which just made me think….what about a swap where we make part of something and then mail it to our partner for them to finish?  Have we done that before? lol!!  I'm trying to remember….   

One option that could be done with the Kit Swap would be combining some things from your kept kit with some things from the kit you received to make a project.  Might be harder though…or might not be….though I know one could do this anyways after completing the 2 required projects. 

Well maybe I had a few ideas than I thought! lol!
~~Melissa :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 01:25:21 AM »
Yes, looks like my finished post vanished on this thread so here are my thoughts once again.  I am looking for swaps that encourage me to expand my knowledge of products and techniques while leaving enough space for me to use my own creativity in the project. 

YC-RAKs should be exactly as the name says Random acts of kindness...cool if it works out but no worries.  The flat items you designed for your kits also work for RAKs.  Another idea is an ATC.  I often like to see a sample of a new product before buying it...so I would love an ATC that uses a new product and same with techniques.  I am not sure if everyone here understands RAKs can be sent to anyone at any time...to say I thinking of you, thanks, miss you being here. It's about sharing in this "community".

"what about a swap where we make part of something and then mail it to our partner for them to finish?"  Perhaps I don't            understand the KIAE swap since I haven't played...but I thought this is a general description of the basics.  What am I missing??

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 07:20:13 AM »
Great thread.  I have loved the swaps that I have participated in.  I have not participated in any of the KIAE (kit) swaps, because I don't quite understand what I am to send.  Mostly I love the challenges where postage isn't an issue. 

I do want to be more involved with our new home this year. 

Whether it is a challenge or swap I have learned so much form both and they really are what I am interested in.

Thanks to all who offer them.

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 09:45:35 AM »
Great posts! With the KIAE ones, we are (mostly) swapping just materials. Even when we add a required for projects, we aren't necessarily putting items like pre-cut bookmarks, etc. in the envelope.

I think what Sadie is suggesting is a different sort of swap. Let's say the swap is a 'simple' fold card. A swapper would find/make a blank & do something on it before sending it to someone to complete. The sender might do stamping on the blank or add punchouts or diecuts. They might just add a bit of ribbon or washi tape to the blank. (Am I on the same page as you, Sadie?)
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 10:29:39 AM »
What I meant when I said we could make something and then send it to our partner to finish is along the lines of what Daniel is saying (yes Daniel what you said is on the same page---but I'm not Sadie---hehehe)….using Daniel's example, make a card base and then mail to partner to finish----but that card base could be as simple or complicated as the swap deems....or it could be about a mini master board that one makes then mails to another for them to finish making into something….. 

I got another idea from a quilting blog or magazine (can't remember which) and the woman in the blog/article was apart of a quilting swap but it was where she started a block and then sent it to a partner…not sure of all their requirements but I there were numerous people involved and thus she made a handful of the same blocks for all the partners and they all traded their block and then arranged/quilted/made into something and then shared.  It was neat how different everyone's finished project was from using all the same things that they started with.   I was trying to think how we could do something like that----but depending on how many are in the swap, the postage would be high swapping with everyone in the swap….so haven't thought how to get around that since that is a concern with swaps….thus I haven't expanded on that swap idea. 

YC-RAKs should be exactly as the name says Random acts of kindness...cool if it works out but no worries.  The flat items you designed for your kits also work for RAKs.  Another idea is an ATC.  I often like to see a sample of a new product before buying it...so I would love an ATC that uses a new product and same with techniques.  I am not sure if everyone here understands RAKs can be sent to anyone at any time...to say I thinking of you, thanks, miss you being here. It's about sharing in this "community".
  Thank you Jan for sharing this…I like your ideas of sharing about a product and also the community aspect---as well as the "no worries".   :smile: 
~~Melissa :)