Author Topic: April ATC swap sign up!  (Read 18939 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: April ATC swap sign up!
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 10:02:28 AM »
...Hope your household gets back to normal soon.

LOL, Cindi! What is this 'normal' you speak of?  :laughhard:

Yeah, Pug, I do hope the kiddos feel better soon. My ATCs should arrive soon in your mailbox. I had fun with the 'tile' aspect.

Looking forward to seeing what April (CG) makes/sends me.

Daniel

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 07:41:02 AM »
lol, I'm still trying to find out what normal is for us :laughhard: . One thing I've learned from having 2 so close in age is that if one gets sick with something, the other will get it too. And eventually either DH or I will end up with whatever it is!

I received 2 beauties from Daniel! I will get pics of them later today when I can and email them to him to share.

And I need to get started on mine, I haven't even attempted anything yet ???
LeighAnn

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 09:21:52 AM »
I started on mine. Found the perfect stamp but stamped it on textured cardstock. Started coloring it and don't like the texture at all. That's what happens when I don't wear my glasses, LOL!

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 11:13:11 AM »
I started on mine. Found the perfect stamp but stamped it on textured cardstock. Started coloring it and don't like the texture at all. That's what happens when I don't wear my glasses, LOL!

I've stamped on textured CS, too, Kathy so I can commiserate. Sometimes--if I'm using a glaze on top of the stamping it--ends up looking ok. But (since you just started) changing to a non-textured stock sounds like a good move. LOL on the 'glasses'. I still remove mine for close work.

Glad you like my 'tile' ATCs, Pug. A good bit of the fun I had making them was using 2 different ways to 'glaze' them. Although you aren't making glaze a 'must' for this, I had the stuff & found each glaze type--liquid & EP had advantages & drawbacks. I'll share more when I upload them.

LOL on the 'normal', pal. My sisters, brother & I were fairly close in age & any (contagious) illness swept thru all 4 of us.
Daniel

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 10:48:35 AM »
Our pal & swap hostess is still feeling 'under the weather' but LeighAnn still sent me pix of my 2 ATCs. Bless her heart! :smitten:

I believe I've covered the hows & whats in my upload comments, but feel free to ask if something's not clear.

Dogwood ATC

April Rain

Aside to LeighAnn... April rain is my fave--for many of the reasons you mentioned in the email. :smile:
Daniel

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 01:18:56 PM »
Glad you got them uploaded, Daniel!
And I thought April might be your fave too!

I wish everyone could feel the texture that it has, so cool. Thanks for sharing with me :smitten:
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 10:16:49 PM »
Great ATCs Daniel.

I've got Melissa's address, now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do for my ATC. 
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »
Daniel, I love your ATC's!!!!  They are very different but both are awesome. 

I have no idea what I am going to do yet!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 12:41:57 PM »
Thanks for all the kind praise for my ATCs.

LeighAnn did a great job with this month's 'required'. So glad it's a swap because (like many projects) just a photo (even really good ones) doesn't replace the 'feel' of a piece. Nice being able to have a friend who can speak to what our stuff is when we can hold it in our hands.

Several of you have praised my 'April Rain' as ART. Aw shucks. Y'all are gonna make me blush--not!  ;D

The best part of being one of many talented people here @ AI is knowing that none of them will measure their work by that of anothers. We're all way too smart to fall into that trap. :knuppel2: :laugh:

Can't wait to see where 'tiles' takes all of y'all. Betting there'll be some that go way beyond what's 'required'. But 'no pressure', of course!  :laughhard:
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 09:05:22 PM »
Is anyone else having trouble with their "tiles" laying flat and not curling? 

I think I have to start again and not put as much glossy accent on each tile.

Also, is anyone else's gloss accent have a yellowish color to it?
~~Melissa :)

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 08:28:28 AM »
Oh my gosh Melissa! I am definitely having the same problem!

I had mine all nice and flat but only with one coat of dimensional magic. After I put the second coat on, it is all curling up and coming off the paper again. I am going to try using Elmer's craft bond glue pen. That helped stick it back down the first time.

Mine is not yellow however. But then I used Dimensional Magic, not glossy accents. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
Is anyone else having trouble with their "tiles" laying flat and not curling? 

I think I have to start again and not put as much glossy accent on each tile.

Also, is anyone else's gloss accent have a yellowish color to it?

I have had the glossy accents change color when placed over a water soluble ink or colored in image.  Could that be what is happening? 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2015, 10:13:13 AM »
Curling can be a real problem when we use liquid glazes on paper & cardstock. It happened with the ATC I made using Diamond Glaze. I'm guessing 'Glossy Accents' is a similar product.

There are a couple of ways you can avoid--or minimize--curling. If you stamp on a larger-than-ATC-sized piece, you can secure the piece to your work surface. Then glaze as usual. Once the glaze has dried trim the piece to the ATC size.

If you have a good temporary adhesive, you can make the whole ATC & secure it to the work surface with the 'TA'.  the 'secret' is not to give the base paper/cs a chance to curl as it dries.

IF your tiles have curled, don't dispair! Place them glaze-side-down on a firm surface & weight them with a book. Had I done that with my curled piece it might not have cracked--but I was hurrying (as usual). But if you do get cracks? You have to decided whether they're 'deal breakers'.

Far as glazes producing 'color change'? Heidi is spot on. And even non-water soluable inks can be affected depending on the various formulas for inks & glazes. You can always spend time researching online or just try it & see what happens.

When I did my bird ATC I used markers to color & the Diamond Glaze definitely altered the look of the colored parts. Happily, I like the effect.

Daniel

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 10:26:40 AM »
When I did my tiles I cut them first and then put the glossy accents on.  There is a tiny bit of the edges that curled but they are 1" square so the curling doesn't affect anything.  I thought that was the way this technique was done; to put the glossy on after they were cut but before they are glued down.  Are you guys cutting, gluing, and then putting glossy accents on?  That would be easier than trying to hold a 1" square and put glossy accents on that square....LOL
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2015, 10:47:24 AM »
I went back & read Pug's OP, Sadie. She doesn't say we have to do our faux tiles exactly like the tutorial. We don't even have to use glazes if we don't have any onhand.

The (liquid-glazed) tiles on one of my ATCs aren't even squares.  ;) And I so love how flexible so many of our Challenges are here @ AI. 'Course I also 'like'  :tickedoff: ;D the challenges whose 'required' hold me to a specific set of musts. Both give me ways to explore & expand.  ;)

In the case of my glazed ATC, I stamped the image(s), cut into tiles & glued to the base before glazing the entire ATC--including its 'grout' base.
Daniel