Author Topic: April ATC swap sign up!  (Read 18951 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: April ATC swap sign up!
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2015, 12:22:07 PM »
I was looking at the tutorial today and wondering if it could be glazed before cutting. However, I don't think I will.  I noticed they used scor tape in the tutorial to make sure the tiles are really glued down and I think that is a good idea. I like the idea of dimension and imperfection with the glazed tiles warping a tiny bit.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2015, 01:54:22 PM »
I was looking at the tutorial today and wondering if it could be glazed before cutting. However, I don't think I will.  I noticed they used scor tape in the tutorial to make sure the tiles are really glued down and I think that is a good idea. I like the idea of dimension and imperfection with the glazed tiles warping a tiny bit.

I missed the scor tape in the tutorial, Heidi. Thanks for sharing. A strong double-face tape is a big help when adhering curled pieces. I love my Scor Tape!
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2015, 02:31:39 PM »
I cut my tiles first then put glossy accent on them---I'm not sure you could cut them after applying glossy accent first --I would think it could crack the  GA if you did. 

I am thinking that maybe I made my tiles TOO small---after reading Sadie mentioning that her's are 1"--lol, mine are around 1/2"x1/4"!   ;D  That may be my problem--maybe they are too small to stand against the GA strength.   

I love they way they look though!  It is really neat having the GA on top---I have to remember to use GA more in cards---but I di need to figure out how to deal with the curl etc....hopefully it gets better with larger pieces and I will also try the tips everyone is giving---TY!! O0

I do realize (though forgot, lol) that GA can take up some color sometimes from things it is applied over.....but this yellowing I am referring to, can be seen when you look at the bottle.  I have Crackle Accent also and I remember that they looked the same when I bough them a few years ago (thus I needed to make sure I grabbed the correct label color/bottle before applying).....well now the crackle is still clear in the bottle, but my GA has this yellowish/slightly cloudy look----it still "works" though---you can still see-thru the GA after it's applied and the yellow hue doesn't really change the colors it's applied over too much----I really don't think anyone would notice it's yellowish tone on CS w/o showing the crackle accent bottle right next to it.

Oh and I have no idea where my brain was last night when I was gluing down the tiles, lol!!  I was kinda concerned that they were curled so I unculred them slightly then when and got my Tombow's multi-purpose glue---which does a great job for me to hold things on to anything I glue it to---but for some reason I thought i't d be a good idea to apply glue to the entire ATC at once and then add the tiles one by one to the ATC, lol!!  oh I have glue to clean up off the ATC today!  Not sure what I was thinking!---why I didn't add glue to each tile individually, lol! 

I do love how my ATC does look like a picture that is on tile...so neat.....I may can still send the one I made---I just need to check the curling again today and also see if the excess glue comes off any more. 

I have to ask: what is "scor tape"?--I know it's probably double-sided tape, right?  But could I use my ATG or is this tape even stronger?
~~Melissa :)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2015, 09:39:24 PM »
I haven't started my ATC yet, so I really appreciate all the tips.

Melissa - wow those are small tiles.  Scor tape is firmer that the tape used in an ATG Gun and I think it may be stronger.  Oh, and my glossy accents is a bit yellowed, too.   

Sarah

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2015, 10:18:10 AM »
LOL, Melissa! Don't you love those 'DOH' moments--aka "What was I thinking?!".  :laughhard: We've all had them.

What Sarah says about scor-tape is true. I love mine. It comes in two widths--eighth & quarter inch. Strong as it is, I still (sometimes) weight down pieces to ensure that it sticks well.

I agree that those are fairly small tiles. Good for you! Can't wait to see it. I'm betting it's a bit like a mosaic. Not an easy look to achieve with stamping & 'cut' tiles since many mosaics employ lots of small pieces.

Given the talent in our membership, it's a rare challenge that doesn't produce amazing pieces from every player! Even better that we all gain from what others share with us!
Daniel

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2015, 05:03:27 PM »
I finished mine and it is going in tomorrow's mail for CaribbeanGirl! I got it to stop curling mostly, hehehe. That Elmer;s craft glue is good stuff.

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 09:48:57 AM »
I finished mine and it is going in tomorrow's mail for CaribbeanGirl! I got it to stop curling mostly, hehehe. That Elmer;s craft glue is good stuff.

Amen on the Elmer's, Kathy! Not only is it a great glue, but it even makes a pretty good 'glaze'. I thin it with a few drops of water. You can even tint it with a drop of ink or (liquid) food coloring. ;)
Daniel

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2015, 10:17:07 AM »
Oooo.. I'll have to try that!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2015, 01:29:17 PM »
I have something I need to cut up and hope it works so it can get sent out by tomorrow (deadline!  :D
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2015, 02:25:12 PM »
Thanks Sarah for letting me know your Glossy Accent is yellowing also.   :smile:

I'll have to look into Scor-Tape---the strength that Sarah and Daniel noted about the tape has me curious.

Well I thought I could maybe wipe off the dried (and sticky) glue off the ATC I did last week---nope....so I redid it this afternoon and cut the tile larger (I will also show the smaller tiled ATC I did after Cindi gets her ATC from me).  I decided that while I'm at it, I'll make me a matching ATC using the larger tiles.

So while I was filing in the tiles with glossy accent, I finished one set, then moved over to fill in another set and halfway through the other set, I felt something cool through my shirt sleeve on my elbow ..... that's when I remembered I had Cindi's tiles drying next to my arm.....yep I totally ran over two of her tiles with my elbow and had them stuck to my shirt sleeve.  lol!  ::)  My goodness this ATC is giving me fits!  But I so love the results, lol!  I think I was able to save the two tile by adding more glossy accent (so Cindi if you happen to notice tiny red lint in two of your tiles, you know why..... ;D  but I do think I got most of them out). 

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2015, 03:38:36 PM »
My ATC is out in the mailbox waiting pickup tomorrow and will be on its way to Sadie.  I thought this was a big challenge and I did end up doing something slightly odd with the technique.  I am looking forward to seeing the ATCs in the gallery as soon as they get to their destinations!

Thanks LeighAnn for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2015, 08:51:39 PM »
Melissa - I did something similar.  I was wiping off the tip of the nozzle for my glossy accents, and ended up dragging the paper towel through my drying tiles.  I added more GA, and they turned out fine.

Then I had a brilliant  :idiot2:  idea yesterday.  I coated the ATC base with quick drying spackle that I tinted with some paint.  I figured I could push the tiles into the spackle and it would look like real grout.  Unfortunately, the tiles did not stick in the spackle.  So I had to scrap some off where the tiles would go and attach the tiles with adhesive.  It will be going out in the mail tomorrow. 
Sarah

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2015, 10:17:12 PM »
Sorry, I've been MIA. Did you know you can catch strep twice? As in get over it and get it back again? Neither did i ::) :knuppel2: :tickedoff:. I got over it, little DS got it and I got it again! Seriously. I'm so very glad this winter is OVER! im back to feeling like my normal(whatever that is)  :laughhard: self and getting back in to the groove of day to day things. Heidi, your ATC should go out tomorrow as long as it dries overnight!

And this technique was a pain to do for an ATC! I'm sorry, I haven't had a chance to catch up on the tread but I at least learned a few things about which adhesives worked best along the way! I didn't have any scor or red tape. I had the best luck with my tombo mono multi. I tried my craft bond by elmers but it kept slipping on me and I messed up my first atc because of it. I've tried many different liquid adhesives and none compare to my Tombow mono glue(it's in the green and white bottle). I vow to not cheat on it again!
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2015, 09:17:48 AM »
Oh I'm sor sorry LeighAnn that you had strep 2x!!!!!   :o  I'm glad you are feeling better! 

I too used Tombow Mono glue---and it worked great as long as I didn't get any on my fingers that then got on the tiles...  :)  and as long as I did each tile individually instead of laying glue out all over the ATC before adding the tiles like I did the first time. 

I think mine is all dry so it should be going out today!

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2015, 10:03:16 AM »
I use Beacon's Fabri Tac glue on most things.  It is really sticky and it dries pretty fast.  I have used it for years with success.  I don't use it for putting big pieces of background on a card though, for that I use my ATG gun.  Amazon Link for Fabri Tac Glue.

I mailed my ATC yesterday so it is on it's way to Craft Nerd.  I hope it arrives in a timely manner and in one piece.......LOL!
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......