Author Topic: April ATC swap sign up!  (Read 18941 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: April ATC swap sign up!
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2015, 11:04:25 AM »
TY for all the 'extras', Melissa! They are (like those of other Inksters) 'more than welcome.

I checked out & praised your 'sent' ATC before looking at your first effort. Now that you've shown that I am so hoping you can 'save' it despite the curl & remaining stickiness.

It isn't often that we get an opportunity to see & compare a project's first attempt & its final result. WTG!

I still love your sent ATC, but the 'oops' version just blows me away! The shape & placement of the tiles is so wonderful. Its mix of rectangles & squares is a great composition of shapes & adds interest to the great image. Ditto on the 'grout space' between the tiles. The fact that it varies in thickness reinforces the look of handlaid tiles. Even the (slight) imperfection of the tiles alignment adds to its beauty. I'll tuck that into my memory, for sure. O0
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2015, 03:51:16 PM »
I received LeighAnn's ATC in a lovely card today!  Thank you very much.

I will be posting mine to the gallery later on.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2015, 09:01:59 PM »
Melissa - I can't believe how small the tiles were on your first attempt.  I agree with Daniel, I hope you can save it.

Here is the ATC I made.  Tree ATC

The picture doesn't show the shine of the tiles but it is does show the grout better than the other pictures I took.  And I just noticed that I attached the middle tile on the left the wrong way.  Oopps.   :o
Sarah

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2015, 10:36:26 PM »
Melissa, thanks for the extra photos and explanation.  I have a white Pitt pen, but just heard it was a good, opaque white.  I hadn't heard of it's ability to be used with chalks.  I need to look in to that more.  Your background is nice too.  It adds a lot of interest from the fact that it's not just a solid color.  The sky is beautiful, how could I not notice!  O0

Sarah, love your ATC and your colored "grout".  I'm surprised the tiles wouldn't stick in it, but you accomplished a good save!  Good idea to use Pitt pens to color, I guess so the color would stay permanent under the glaze?  It worked!
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2015, 10:43:29 PM »
Melissa,
I just went back to read about the "sticky" situation.  I think one of the properties of Tombow mono that  people (Kristina Werner?) like is the fact that excess adhesive can be rubbed away.  Do you have an adhesive eraser?  Maybe you can rub it out of the grout lines, with your finger, or the eraser.  If not, my next suggestion would be baby powder.  Stickers can be made unsticky by brushing the back with baby powder.  I can't promise it won't appear a little whitish.  You might want to try a small spot or try it on a scrap paper.  Maybe brushing baby powder over the ATC will unsticky your grout lines.  It's definitely worth saving.
Cindi

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2015, 08:27:06 AM »
That's one of the things I like most about the Tombow adhesive. I usually remove it by using my finger to rub away the excess. I've used an eraser before but it left marks on my paper. I think it may have been the type of eraser I used.

Heidi, I'm glad you liked it! I will try and upload it today. I'm so behind here! Life has been crazier than normal and I apologize for my absence :'( . I hope to catch up soon with everyone, I've missed all of my Inkster pals :smitten:.

LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2015, 08:29:20 AM »
No problem, LeighAnn! 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1488#top_display_media

My ATC is much simpler than many of you were able to create, but I do like it.  If I had it to do over again, there are so many fun options from seeing what you all did!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2015, 08:50:54 AM »
Thanks everyone for your kind words about my original ATC.   :smitten:    It's funny how mistakes really can be beautiful:  after the first cut to make the tiles on my original ATC, I thought "uh-oh...now how far do I go before my next cut?....I should've done some math first...."  :-\

I really do like the original and I am going to keep it---I had been trying to think if I should put plastic over the top, but that would hide the glossy accent and it's neat appeal....so I am glad to hear from Cindi and LeighAnn that I can rub the glue away!!  I did try to remove the adhesive the first time with a papertowel and water but it didn't seem to budge.  ???  I will try rubbing it away! O0

Cindi I didn't know they made adhesive erasers!  And I'll try the baby powder too if needed---TY for your brainstorming!   :smitten:

I hadn't heard of it's ability to be used with chalks.
Lol!  Cindi, I hadn't heard about the PITT pen being used with chalks either----it was just a happy find by mistake!   :smile:   But I will say, if you and others try it, I would have a scrap piece of paper nearby to wipe the PITT pen nib clean on----just like you do with a blending marker and water brush.

Daniel, I too liked how close the tiles were on my first attempt and I actually didn't mean to place them as far from each other as I did on my sent ATC---put once I put the 2nd tile dow, there was really no moving it since the Tombow glue takes hold fast! 

Hope you can join soon LeighAnn!  You've been missed!   :laugh:
~~Melissa :)

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2015, 08:58:52 AM »
Here is my ATC I sent to April. This was a fun technique.

April ATC

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2015, 10:05:38 AM »
I continue to be blown away by the diversity of this month's ATCs. And that includes yours, Heidi! Doing 'simple' is no easy matter--as many of us know. I used to cringe when editors kept after me to do 'simple & easy' projects.  ;D Heidi's tile shapes & arrangement are great!

Since every player/swapper has been great at sharing how they made their pieces--including many of their 'oopsies' (sometimes 'happy accidents'), and we've also been sharing ideas we've garnered by seeing what we've all done, I thot I'd add another...

When I first viewed Nerd's ATC, I thot she had impressed a pattern into the spackle before inlaying her tiles. Turns out I was wrong (happens  ::)), but it gave me an idea for a way to tackle other 'tile' jobs where I want the grout to be as dimensional as the stamped tiles without using embossing pastes, gesso, spackle, etc.

If I made & arranged my tiles (paper/CS) on my base & outlined them, I could run the base thru an embossing folder & then cut out the tile openings. Then I could glue the grout to a base & inlay the glazed tiles. NOTE! This is an idea that needs experimenting with--not a 'this is how to do it'.  ;)

Daniel

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2015, 10:27:48 AM »
No problem, LeighAnn! 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1488#top_display_media

My ATC is much simpler than many of you were able to create, but I do like it.  If I had it to do over again, there are so many fun options from seeing what you all did!

I don't think your ATC is simpler.  I think it is beautiful.  I really like the stamps you used and the colors.  I also like that the tiles are not all the same.  I never thought to do the tiles in different sizes, but you did and they turned out wonderfully.  Thank you very much for this most wonderful ATC and it will make a beautiful addition to my ATC binder.  Thank you again.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2015, 10:59:02 AM »
Amen, Sadie! 'Simple' is very much a relative issue. As creators we can often deem a process 'simple' because it's something we know how to do without thinking too much about it. Viewers often find 'our' simple a whole different kettle of fish.  ;)

And... We can also 'compare' our efforts with those of others--especially when we're doing a challenge. Long as we don't 'po mouth' our work (not always easy),  I figure it's all good.  O0
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2015, 11:30:08 AM »
Thank you for your kind words.

And, Daniel, next time I will remember not to add a bow to stuff I send you.  OR, will I add extra?   :o ;) ::)  You never know!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2015, 12:09:16 PM »
Oh yes Heidi---when I saw yours (and Daniel's) ATCs I was so drawn to the tiles!!  I never thought to do offsetting tiles or vertical tiles like Daniels'---so for me, that was not simple, lol! 

So neat to see how we all take and create things using a common theme!!   :smitten:
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2015, 02:20:37 PM »
Thank you for your kind words.

And, Daniel, next time I will remember not to add a bow to stuff I send you.  OR, will I add extra?   :o ;) ::)  You never know!

LOL, Heidi! So glad my 'bow comment' for your tile piece didn't offend. Oh please send me a multi-bowed piece someday. I promise to be really impressed if you alter &/or make the ribbon you use for the bow(s)--and that's just for starts, pal! :knuppel2: :laughhard:
Daniel