Author Topic: November ATC swap *partners posted!  (Read 10505 times)

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
November ATC swap *partners posted!
« on: November 02, 2015, 10:20:10 AM »
Hi everyone, time for month 11! Sorry it's up later an I intended.

This months theme will feature an oldie but a goodie technique! I've don't this only a couple of times but the result is so pretty, it's dryer sheet stamping!

I've seen lots of tutorials and videos on this. Some say use a glue stick, some a xyron machine. I've had the easiest and better results with spray adhesive. This blogpost gives a good explanation of the technique of you haven't done it before
http://www.prickleypearrubberstamps.blogspot.com/2015/01/glitter-dryer-sheet-technique.html

This months them will be trees

I will post partners on the 6th
Mail by date will be the 18th

Here is the send to's-
Craft Nerd to Far North
Far North to SWLady
SWLady to Craft Nerd
Iring to CarefreeSadie
CarefreeSadie to lovepug2
Lovepug2 to Yankee
Yankee to Iring
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 09:55:10 AM by lovepug2 »
LeighAnn

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
Re: November ATC swap sign up now :)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 01:03:12 PM »
Count me in! This sounds fun and oh so messy, LOL

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 06:46:48 PM »
So after reading this I went on the youtubes and watched some dryer sheet stamping......LOL!  Count me in. 

There are some interesting videos on this to watch.  It took me awhile to realize that none of them were spraying the dryer sheet on top for the glitter.  Apparently if you do it fast the spray glue doesn't dry and it catches the glitter through the dryer sheet.  At first I thought you had to spray the bottom for on top of the stamped card and then spray again to hold the glitter.  I'm going to try it out soon but need to treck on down to the basement to find a used dryer sheet.  There are probably several laying on the floor.  Only one of the videos I watched the person ironed the dryer sheet.  The rest just used it.  I might try both ways and see how it works.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 08:57:41 PM »
Ok dokey, I tried this and here is what I have found out so far......it doesn't work very well on an itty bitty ATC.  And it doesn't work very well unless you stamp in only dark colors.  If you use lighter colors they are so muted you cannot tell what the stamp is underneath.  I tried some old spray glue stuff I had and it didn't work at all except to smell up the craftroom and give me a headache.  So I tried the Ranger glue stick and it worked ok but it didn't really hold the dryer sheet very well on the edges.  I have one I did using matt gel medium and it won't be dry until later.  I also used Ranger rock candy clear glitter.  I am not very happy with any of the tries yet.  Ok the one that looks ok I ripped the dryer sheet off and put the glitter on top of the ATC straight.  I liked the trees really well and I inked around the edges and the trees and it looked so nice I hated to not be able to see what it was under the dryer sheet.

Does anyone else have the magic way to do this?

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 09:20:02 PM »
On no, Sadie! I've only done this technique on a card before, I didn't even think about the size being an issue!

I've had best luck with dark ink colors and stamps that aren't very intricate. I haven't tried the gel medium but I wonder think it would hold better than glue stick. I haven't ever had much luck with glue sticks and this technique.

The spray adhesive stinks, I usually have to use it outside or in the garage. I'm going to see if I can find any other tips or tricks.
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 07:25:20 AM »
Sign me up. 
Sarah

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 06:01:56 PM »
May I sign up too?
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 04:15:23 AM »
Sorry, I don't use smelly spray chemicals in the house all winter....and it is too cold to spray outside during the winter.  I look forward to your seeing your results.
Have fun, Jan

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 09:07:57 AM »
Sign me up too.

I found  Dawn's youtube video on a dryer sheet sparkly Christmas card.  She mentions that she sometimes uses glue stick instead of spray adhesive.  You would just need to watch what inks you use underneath.  The glue stick would smear a waterbased ink.

Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 09:21:49 AM »
Here is a video where "serenestamper" actually demonstrates with a glue stick.
Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 10:39:51 AM »
I used the Ranger glue stick and it worked.  I did not use the spray again.......Another thing is be careful what the dryer sheet was used with, anything that leaves color on the dryer sheet will make the ATC look grundgy and not in a good way, just saying.  I had some bed sheets in the dryer so I threw in a couple extra dryer sheets because I knew the bed sheets were old enough they weren't going to leave any stray color on the sheets.  They worked the best.  I did a couple with blue colored backgrounds and embossed the trees with black to make them really dark.  I liked those but the plain ones using black ink on the trees turned out the most "clear" and are the easiest to see what is stamped.

I used acrylic paint on the background and around the edges, because it is permanent when dry.  I don't think I would use any distress ink or any ink that would move with the moisture from the glue stick.  The ones I tried with colored ink I used colored archival inks and dried them with my heat gun. 

Now I am trying different things to make the ATC more interesting.  I just don't like the plain glitter trees with nothing else.  I am sure that is just me cause I never really quit with my ATC's until time runs out.....LOL

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 12:00:15 PM »
Glad the glue stick worked for you.

I found a short Splitcoaststamperstutorial using a Xyron to stick down the dryer sheet, and then glitter through the dryer sheet.
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 01:14:46 PM »
Many thanks to the early experimenters!  I am going to go experiment too! ...Jan
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 01:25:52 PM by Far North »

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 10:00:28 PM »
You ladies are  O0 O0 O0! I just had a chance to come on because I came across the technique done with a xyron And it's the same link as Iring had found and linked , thank you!

I haven't had a chance to experiment with a glue stick or anything just yet because my son has been sick for a few days. I'm hoping it will all work out! I've only had luck with spray adhesive(and I hate the smell)but I'm wondering if it was the type of glue stick I used. If I recall, it was an elmers craft bond one. I'm wondering if a different one would produce better results?
Sadie, I'm glad it worked with the Ranger one. One other tip I came across was to throw a used dryer sheet in again with a load of laundry, it kind of thins it out a little and makes the background more visible.
LeighAnn

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 12:01:08 AM »
LeighAnn, please include me.

Question-if one uses the spray adhesive is the dryer sheet visible? Can you tell from the sparkles that they are in the holes of the dryer sheet...like an abstract pattern?

Thanks!
Jan
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 01:02:06 PM by Far North »