Stamping > Techniques

Craftsy class, Watercolor Cards made simple

(1/6) > >>

Iring:
I posted this in the Sale/Retail therapy thread but thought maybe I should post here as well.

On Craftsy, Watercolor Cards Made Simple, with Deepti Malik, is on sale 50% off.  I checked just now and it is $14.99
I'm enrolled and about to start working through it.  Any other takers?  We can follow each other in the Craftsy classroom.

Heidi and Far North have already taken the class.  Heidi said she'd go through it again.  The instructor lists every stamp and stencil she uses but I plan to use what I have.  I did pick up a brush with a coupon a few days ago.  She uses pan watercolors and distress inks (at least in the few lessons I've peeked at so far). 

If you're not sure about this class but want to practice more watercoloring, please see Connie's post below.  There are lots of good suggestions.  I'm signed up for the Strathmore Artist Series Workshop that starts Monday, May 2nd (free).  What I like about the Craftsy class is that it's geared toward cardmakers, creating backgrounds and coloring stamped images.  The Strathmore class will definitely be larger scale, but I'm sure we can learn lots.

See you in class?

howdyheidi:
I have had a much busier week than expected and I haven't had a chance to go back to the class yet.  I just took a much needed run, and so if I do some housework, then I won't feel badly about taking all the rest of the times to craft.  So I am still going to do it, if you were wondering!

Iring:
No problem. 
I didn't get real far.  I practiced washes and a few strokes.  I ran out of painter's tape.  I used a bit of washi tape and post it tape but only for a few.  They are expensive alternatives to painters tape.  :o
I told myself I would use what I have ... but today I did a little shopping!  I got some painters tape.  I was lusting after the board Deepti taped her paper down on.  Last night I used the back of a paper pad and the back of a canvas board.  I had pieces drying all over the place.  Today I found a board  that looks just like Deepti's for $5.99 at Hobby Lobby.  I didn't think that was too bad.  I'm keeping the boards I used last night because for practice it seems like I need all the room I can get.  I splurged and treated myself to a Koi travel set of pan watercolors that comes with a water brush.  I've been looking at that for years, ever since I worked at an art supply and my boss had one.  I got mine at Hobby Lobby with a 40 off coupon.  It's on sale for the same price I paid on Amazon (around $21, just in case anyone wants some enabling).  Now I'm anxious to play again!

Last night I felt like I got better results with wet on wet washes.  My wet on dry washes are streaky.  I was using Cotman tube watercolors.  I have lots of pieces suitable for die cutting, ha! 

Jump in when you get a chance!

howdyheidi:
Cindi, that Koi Travel Box is the same one I got for Christmas.  I think it is the one Deepti uses in the videos too.

I also had a little trouble with streaky washes.  I cannot remember now if it was wet or dry...

I have a plexiglas thing that I used to tape down the paper.  It was some odd thing we had around. 

Far North:
I too have the same travel box.  I like the KOI paints a lot but my waterbrush discharges too much water for my ability to control it. I like my results much better with a regular brush.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version