Author Topic: Happy Mail Swap-totally stamping  (Read 9804 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: Happy Mail Swap-totally stamping
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 09:35:01 AM »
Yana makes it look so easy!  Ha!  I spent a good part of yesterday afternoon and evening testing my inks and pulling out potential stamps.  Maybe I was just mentally impaired after working on wedding invite design all morning! 

I have a background ... now I need a finished card! 
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 01:52:40 PM »
LOL of course Yana makes it look easy.  Videos rarely show the trials of various stamps and inks. But I do appreciate Yana sharing info about what type of stamps and inks she selected. It helped me limit my trial selection to 3 stamps that were large enough and looked good (IMHO) when they overlapped. 

When I tried the layout I learned I needed a combo of 5-6 colors limiting my ink choices to only a couple combinations. With such limited choices my time for the selection of stamps and inks was greatly reduced. Cindi, it sounds like you have more stamps & colors for this challenge than I do.

I think players will find the background layout technique is the fast and easy part of this card.   

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 06:56:03 PM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 07:55:08 PM »
I think players will find the background layout technique is the fast and easy part of this card.   
I agree!

The quick and easy part of this project is the fact that you don't need to be precise with placement and the fact that if you go from light to dark ink colors you might not need to clean the stamp in between.

I pulled too many potential stamps  :-\.  Then I wasn't happy with my inks.  Some of my little VersaMagic tear drop inks seemed kind of dry, and they aren't that old ... I'm going to store them upside down for a bit and see if that helps.  I chose a clear stamp, and finally went with pigment and chalk inks to get a better impression.  Some ink just beads up on them!

I'm happy to report that I'm done!  Heidi's card will go out tomorrow.  I'm glad I tried Yana's technique.  In the end, I liked what I did, so while I had everything out I made a similar card to keep.

Thanks, Jan, for sharing the video and organizing the swap!
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2016, 10:18:29 AM »
Cindi, so glad you liked your finished cards!  Great work to fit this in between working of wedding invitation ideas.  And at least this is off your mind and in the mail so you can get back to the wedding details.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 10:36:07 AM »
It was a fun break from wedding! 
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2016, 12:06:49 PM »
My first background was a bust and this was due to stamp choice.  I had really thought that this star stamp I have would work, it is fairly solid, but it did not at all.

I wa surprised how few really solid stamps I had that would work for a patterned background like this, but I did find one and am letting the background sit for a bit before working on it further.

I actually had quite a few color combos I could have worked with since I purchased lots of Hero Arts ink cubes several years ago, so there are lots of colors there. I was happy to use them as I have not used them as much as I thought I would!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 12:48:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing Heidi!  My first stamp was also a bust...my first stamp was like a large dandelion seed burst.  Each individual part of the burst was small with it own unique design.  When stamped with overlapping images it totally lost the clarity of being a seed burst.  It would have been okay for an abstract background but not what I wanted for this challenge.

Hopefully sharing our bloopers will help all of us make better selections :smile:

Reminder:  Next Tuesday is the mailing deadline for this challenge.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:03:57 PM by Far North »

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 06:25:43 PM »
I received my card from Jan today.  I really like it, I love blues!

I mailed mine to SWLady, hopeful she gets it before she goes to Florida.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 06:41:04 PM »
April--your beautiful card arrived today!  I can't believe it only took 3 days to get from South Carolina to Alaska :smile: Please post your card in the gallery.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2016, 10:07:29 PM »
I posted a photo of the card I sent to Sheila in the gallery I liked this technique in that it offer a little challenge but overall was easy.  And I might keep my eyes open for a couple other large solid stamps.

Here are 2 cards that show some of my trials with another stamp and different layouts.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 10:21:11 PM by Far North »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2016, 09:13:16 AM »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2016, 10:01:31 AM »
My card is completed and I hope to get it addressed before the mail truck comes today.  I need to check out the cards in the gallery.
~~Heidi~~

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2016, 08:35:00 PM »
LOL, I too am having stamp difficulties. I finally tried two different ones and came up with two backgrounds that  I like. Hopefully I can decide on one and get it out tomorrow or Friday!

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2016, 03:41:26 PM »
I received my card from Sheila today. It came out so pretty!

I am also getting mine out to Cindi in tomorrow's mail.

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2016, 07:57:32 PM »
I had trouble with this one too.  I tried pinks and reds, wrong shades to go together.  I tried blues and it worked.
I wanted to put some of my hand made flowers but didn't have the correct shade of blue.  So I stamped another flower and cut it out to put on the card.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/thumbnails.php?album=88
Born on the fourth of July