Author Topic: INF14 Lighten Up Challenge (10/4 - 10/12) Winner Announced  (Read 15111 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: INF14 Lighten Up Challenge (10/4 - 10/12)
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 11:01:25 AM »
Sadie, those mice are sooo cute!  Now it's definitely an anniversary card!

WARNING : This technique can be addictive!  Cut plenty of card fronts.  You will need them.

I've gone back in the craft room for more watercolor paper 3 times!  I'm loving this technique.  I'm having a hard time forcing myself to quit and turn a background in to a finished card. 

Thanks Heidi! 
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 11:16:07 AM »
I'm so glad, Cindi. You have all week to make one into something but in the meanwhile you are building up a lot of fun backgrounds to work with sometime. 

I think a lot of us did the same thing with the wax paper backgrounds that one fest. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 02:29:35 PM »
See, now this technique is not cooperating with me.  I had to give it 3 tries for my bookmark.  And that was actually the second piece I started for this challenge.  The first piece took 3 tries before I got results that worked.  The stamp I used for attempt 1 didn't have enough going on. It was a snowflake background stamp.  Too much white space.  And the second attempt was too dark.  That project is still in the works. 

Don't get me wrong, I really like the results I eventually get, but I'm also stock piling rejects.  Which will sit on my desk and maybe get used some day.  ::)  I'm such a pack rat. 
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 03:28:14 PM »
See, now this technique is not cooperating with me.  I had to give it 3 tries for my bookmark.  And that was actually the second piece I started for this challenge.  The first piece took 3 tries before I got results that worked.  The stamp I used for attempt 1 didn't have enough going on. It was a snowflake background stamp.  Too much white space.  And the second attempt was too dark.  That project is still in the works. 

Don't get me wrong, I really like the results I eventually get, but I'm also stock piling rejects.  Which will sit on my desk and maybe get used some day.  ::)  I'm such a pack rat.

That is interesting.  I had 10 rejects on the paper towel stamping before I got a usable one.  But with this technique I had no rejects.  Just goes to show that these things sometimes just happen!

But really, your bookmark background is perfect, just perfect, so I think it was worth your three tries.  ;)
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 03:32:43 PM »
But really, your bookmark background is perfect, just perfect, so I think it was worth your three tries.  ;)

Thanks.  And don't get me wrong.  I don't mind having rejects.  Other than the snowflake one, I like my rejects.  They just don't work for the challenge.  But I'm sure I'll use them eventually.  I may even find a way to fix the snowflake one.  And I have fun playing with the challenge. 

It seems that just about every party I participate in has one technique challenge that gives me a bit of trouble.  But I love the technique challenges because they usually get me to try something new and fun. 
Sarah

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 11:14:35 AM »
Well actually Sarah, I was having a blast making backgrounds, and then I remembered, hey!  I have to stamp directly over these backgrounds!  Uhhh, I kind of got sidetracked and I made some black harlequin backgrounds, and I got fancy and spritzed with water mixed with iridescent medium .... great backgrounds, and I did use the stamp off, mist with water technique ... but not so good for stamping directly on top!  So actually, I stamped 11 backgrounds and this one is probably the only one that will work to actually meet the challenge.   :idiot2:
That's ok though, because I really only need to make one, and now I have some good backgrounds that will probably require layering with images stamped on another piece of paper.

So in effect, when I commented earlier, I was having great fun, but I wasn't meeting the challenge!  Haha!

I did love this challenge though!  I can't remember the last time I made a one layer card (not required, but that's why this challenge pairs so well with the book 'em challenge, right?).  It's been a long time since I stamped in color (not black)!  And I haven't water-colored with distress ink in awhile ... and I was really chicken to do it, but I got brave and splattered ink over my finished card (yikes)!

These fests really get me stamping again (as opposed to card making with more paper crafting/minimal stamping), and using my supplies.   I'm really thankful for that!

Hydrangea card
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 11:35:10 AM »
Cindi, your card is absolutely gorgeous!  I love everything about it and want those stamps now that I saw what you did with them!

Yes, there is a twist with this challenge in that I am requiring you to stamp over the background.  IMO, that is what makes this a "fest-worthy" challenge.  I agree that all those darker backgrounds can easily be used with layering like it is patterned paper.

A couple ways you might be able to use them for this challenge:
  • Use a bold, chunky stamp instead of a line image stamp, like I did in the bookmark
  • Use a very dark ink like black, navy or brown for your focal image
  • When doing the background stamp, you could turn your stamp over on its back, then push down harder in the center to get more ink off, thus creating a lighter area in the middle to stamp on later

Those are just some additional thoughts if you don't have any of the light ink colors.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 03:04:17 PM »
Cindi - too funny about getting a bit carried away and veering a bit off challenge.  I'm sure you can still find great ways to use the backgrounds you created. 

Heidi - those are great suggestions for working around not having light enough inks.
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 08:43:06 PM »
I am ready to take a photo of mine.

Cindi-a couple other tips that might be of some help....1. as I looked at my stamps I found far more bold lined Christmas stamps than in the rest of my collection.  I was surprised since I never gave any thought to it. 

2.  The properties of archival inks make it rise above distress inks.  So if at all possible use it for a focal image stamping if you have a strong background.  I have several colors of AI for this reason.  Do test this before stamping on your 1 layer card cause a couple of Wendy Vecchi's light color AI inks don't do this as well as others.

Hope you find an easy solution!...Jan
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 08:46:38 PM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 09:00:35 PM »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!  I was able to make another entry for this challenge using one of the black soot backgrounds I created.  I chose solid stamps, stamped in black archival ink and used a Stampers Big Brush pen to touch up a few spots.  Actually, because I stamped off twice I was able to get a fairly light background even with Black Soot distress ink.  Even a fine line spider web in dusty concord shows up decently.

I combined this challenge with LovePug's Book 'em challenge to create a tag shaped, one layer, Halloween book mark.

Still having fun with my Lighten Up'd backgrounds!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 08:59:19 AM »
Far North, thank you for your additional tips.  That is a good point about the Archival inks.  I also think that maybe my Christmas stamps are chunkier in general! 

Iring, I love your tag.  You really illustrated well how to use a background that was done with black!   How awesome! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 12:37:31 PM »
This was a fun and easy challenge to expand our thinking about uses of generational stamping.  Thanks Heidi

Update:  Here is my corrected link

Below is the 1st inking of my background stamp.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:23:47 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 01:31:40 PM »
Jan, your background is really pretty!  I am sorry, your link is showing a fatal error, and I cannot find your card in the gallery either. I hope to be able to see it soon.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 01:35:09 PM »
This is my corrected gallery link

Thanks!...Jan

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 08:47:25 PM »
Jan, your card is lovely!  Thank you for correcting the link so we can all see it now.  I am glad you were able to use those stamps on a card!  Thank you for taking my challenge!
~~Heidi~~