Author Topic: Springfest 2023 - Ombré WINNER ANNOUNCED  (Read 760 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Springfest 2023 - Ombré WINNER ANNOUNCED
« on: March 24, 2023, 04:26:09 PM »
Easy Ombré Resist

1. Heat emboss a background stamp on watercolor cardstock. I think any color embossing powder would work. I used clear. (If you don’t have a background stamp, just repeat any stamp all over a background to get a similar look.  If you don’t have watercolor cardstock, regular will work okay.)
2. Take a dye inkpad (I used Distress ink) and apply it direct to paper across the center of your background.   Use a heavy touch and you can also apply it back and forth a few times to get a very dark color.
3. Take a baby wipe (OR a damp paper towel) and rub in circles starting from the center and then working out to the edge of the cardstock.  Use a light to medium pressure when doing this.  This gives you an ombré effect, lighter and lighter on the edges and dark in the center.

Here is the blog where I found this technique.  She has a photo tutorial.

https://songofmyheartstampers.typepad.com/song_of_my_heart_stampers/2017/01/photo-tutorial-ombre-resist-technique.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2FrmCl+%28Song+of+My+Heart+Stampers%29

I hope you enjoy this!  I had to do it twice before I got one that I liked.  The first time I used too heavy of a touch when rubbing the ink out and didn’t get as much of an ombré look.

Please complete a card with your background to finish this challenge.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 10:39:59 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
~~Heidi~~

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
Re: Springfest 2023 - Ombré
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 07:57:16 AM »
Your sample is stunning, Heidi!  I hope you don't mind if I use my new stamps from SU that can be made into oranges, grapefruit, etc.  You really inspired me to put them to good use--haven't used them yet.
Beth

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 08:31:21 AM »
Your sample is stunning, Heidi!  I hope you don't mind if I use my new stamps from SU that can be made into oranges, grapefruit, etc.  You really inspired me to put them to good use--haven't used them yet.

Of course!  Use whatever you like!  And thank you!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 09:30:56 AM »
Your card is beautiful! I have some ideas already!

April :smile:

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 01:49:33 PM »
This looks like a fun way to make an ombre background.  I'm anxious to give it a shot!  I love your sample.
Cindi

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 12:23:14 PM »
I did this technique.  But didn’t like it.  You have to have a light hand with the baby wipe on watercolor paper, oe it it will pull up on you.  I had better results with card stock.  I also did this with a wide water brush.  It was easier and paper didn’t pill.  But it looks different, more a streaked

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/10012/975DEB8B-2196-4D53-BAF5-C0D7EA6F1B21.jpeg
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2023, 08:12:19 PM »
Just a little bit addictive!  I made 5 backgrounds and then a finished Easter card.  Thanks for the challenge Heidi.

I did have to be careful not to take all the color away from the center, and leave a darker center.  I also re-bunched my baby wipe to start with a clean section when blending out to the lightest area so as not to spread too much ink.

Here are my backgrounds.

Here's my Easter card..

Fun challenge!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2023, 08:15:28 PM »
Thanks to all of you who already did my challenge. I left comments in the gallery.

I wonder why Yankee had such a hard time with it. I am actually wondering if the brand of cardstock makes a difference.  Or even which baby wipes, or paper towels.  But thank you for sharing all your experiences to learn from!

My watercolor cardstock was from Hero Arts and was textured a little bit and I wonder if that is why it worked.

Or maybe the ones done with darker inks worked better? 

I will try to avoid going down a rabbit hole.

But your finished cards are all great!  Thank you for sharing!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 09:27:33 AM »
I used a heavy, smooth watercolor paper. It wicked a little bit - not bad though. I got good results when I lightly swiped up and down from the center instead of going in circles. I enjoyed doing this.

April :smile:

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2023, 10:03:32 AM »
Yes.  I think I did the same as April, swiping from the center out in both directions, lightly.  And as I mentioned, I also turned my baby wipe so as not to transfer too much color to the lightest sections.
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2023, 07:56:47 PM »
I think I did this challenge correctly, LOL.

I didn't finish it off with a stamp, I did this one on Saturday and by the time I got done with the technique I was getting pretty tired and these dies were right there so I finished it off with them instead of a stamp.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=5999#top_display_media

I think next time I would try a different cardstock, I used some stamping up watercolor paper I was given.