Author Topic: SpringFest 2023 Infinity Shaker Card ****** We have a winner! ******  (Read 906 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
SpringFest 2023 Infinity Shaker Card

Rules :
1.  Make an infinity shaker card.  Mine is TE mini slim size, but you can make any size card or tag you'd like.
2.  Stencil the panel that fits inside the shaker using this method :
      a.  Add decorative stitching to your panel with a die that doesn't cut (only pierces) if you have one.  This is optional.
      b.  Mask off a border around your inside panel. 
      c.  Lay a stencil over the opening and blend the following colors from left to right, slightly overlapping : red/pink, yellow,
           blue 
           Any shades you like to make a rainbow, any blendable ink you like.  Use a heavier hand for blending in this step.
      d.  Remove the stencil but leave the masking tape in place and blend the same colors from left to right, this time using a light touch so that
           you can still see the design you created with the stencil.
3.  Add your card to the gallery, include "SpringFest 2023 Infinity Shaker" in the title and link it to this thread.

I will draw a name from the participants that follow the challenge for a RAK.

Options : use any blending ink but keep it to rainbow colors
              make any card or tag size you like but the shaker part should either cover your entire card/tag front or most of it.
              You can stamp your sentiment on the inside like I did, or decorate the outside of the pouch like it was done in the video. (see tip)
              You can add your shaker panel to your card/tag front with foam tape or strong double stick tape like score tape.
              I recommended a festive stencil to look like confetti for a birthday card, but if you'd like to make a different card, you can choose a
              different style stencil, but you must use the stencil, then blend lightly method I described above.
Tips :

Wipe inside of acetate shaker panel with an alcohol wipe and allow to dry to remove static.
Glue a few shaker bits in place on your stenciled pane so at least a few aren't always at the bottom.
If you decorate on top of the acetate (outside of pouch) use strong double sided tape or glue dots so as not to
  risk wet glue oozing out.
If you want to make the same size card I did, Taylored Expressions Mini Slim, then your card base will measure 6in x 7in before folding.
  Your decorated panel for inside the shaker will measure 5.75in x 3.25in.  Finished Mini Slim ends up 6" by 3.5".  (Beth got me hooked on this size during one of our recent fests!)

Please watch this video for instructions on making an “edge to edge” aka “infinity” shaker card.
You can fast forward through the coloring sections.  If you use heavier shaker pouch material, I would pre-score the fold lines for the pouch, maybe slightly bigger than the decorated panel to fit inside.

You may also use a pre-made infinity shaker panel if you have one.  I know Taylored Expressions and Waffle Flower sell them.  If you use a pre-made shaker you can watch that company's video.

Here is the card I made in Stamp Joy to use as an example.

Hope you have fun!  I had never stenciled in this way, so I was excited to try it.  I also had been wanting to make an infinity shaker.  I hope you do too.

Yes, you are free to start!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 02:03:57 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Stampfest 2023 Infinity Shaker Card
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 07:25:39 AM »
Oh wow. I think I used to have those pre made shaker things but I don’t know if I do anymore.  I do think i have a festive stencil. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
Re: SpringFest 2023 Infinity Shaker Card
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 08:14:42 AM »
I've got some clear envelopes that should do the trick.   This L.F. video inspires me to use some of my Lawn Fawn stamps/dies.  Another inspiring challenge (they are all great, eh?
Beth

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 09:26:37 AM »
This looks fun! Do we have to mask off an area to make a frame or can we just stencil the whole card like in the video?

April :smile:

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 11:17:29 AM »
April, since I put the masking under "rules", yes I would prefer you mask at least a slim border.  A masked border helps it stand out on a colored card base, though I am not requiring a colored card base.

I mainly included the video for instructions on how to assemble an infinity shaker.  The instructions for the stenciling portion of the challenge are under "Rules". 

Sorry, I was rushing to get this posted this morning.  I met a friend at 10:15 to go to a farm market, and I'm still not sure which time zone I'm in, ha!  If anything else is unclear just ask!
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 03:39:30 PM »
Thanks, Cindi. Everything is clear! Hope you enjoyed the market.

April

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 04:48:12 PM »
I will have to read again, hopefully I get it all straight, LOL!

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 09:25:35 AM »

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 10:02:34 AM »
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/10012/85A32A03-0E8E-4EEB-84F3-5BF943E62105.jpeg

I did this one also.  When I do it again I will use smaller tape for border.  I got the stenciling done and removed the tape.  And I had way too much white space for my plans!  So changed plans and added small stamping in the borders.
I have about a hundred stencils and none birthday themed, can you believe that?
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 10:16:35 AM »
Yankee, despite no birthday stencils, I like the one you chose.  The stencil I used in my sample is supposed to be Terazzo floor!

April, thanks for masking your stenciling.  I love how the wonky stitches work with it! 

Thank you both for doing the challenge!  You got the ink blending over stenciling technique and I can see your rainbows. 

What do you think about infinity shakers?  Do you think they are harder or easier than traditional shakers made with foam tape?
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 11:00:21 AM »
I don't know if the infinity shaker is any easier, but I like the infinity better, because when you use foam tape the shaker bits inside sometimes stick to the foam tape. The infinity shaker is also flatter to go through the mail.

April

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 12:57:42 PM »
I made this style once before, and had trouble with the plastic.  I think it was too thin.  I noticed when I was pulling the plastic to the back that it was stiffer and that made it easier.
I will make this style again, but be mindful when pulling out the recycled plastic.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2023, 03:12:51 PM »
I have always wanted to make a shaker card, so I was excited to see this challenge.  For my plastic, I used a clear envelope and just cut off the end piece.  Worked well.  Unfortunately, I did not have a celebration stencil, so I used something type circles with stars.  One of these is being sent to my granddaughter who is turning 2 at the end of April.

Beth

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2023, 10:05:24 PM »
Really cute Beth!  I think the circles and bright colors are totally festive!  I like the added die cut stamps.  Perfect for your granddaughter! Thanks for playing!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2023, 10:34:33 AM »
I have always wanted to make a shaker card, so I was excited to see this challenge.  For my plastic, I used a clear envelope and just cut off the end piece.  Worked well.  Unfortunately, I did not have a celebration stencil, so I used something type circles with stars.  One of these is being sent to my granddaughter who is turning 2 at the end of April.

The circle and star stencil does look celebratory!  Very cute design, I love the lawn fawn stamps you paired with it.  Very well done!
~~Heidi~~