Author Topic: WF15 Faux Patina Challenge (open 2/21-3/1) WINNER ANNOUNCED  (Read 14944 times)

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Re: WF15 Faux Patina Challenge (open 2/21-3/1)
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »
same way with me, probably why I try to avoid them, LOL

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 11:53:54 AM »
Heidi, in your instructions you say to emboss your CS and then apply ink.  Is it ok if I apply the ink first then emboss? 

I have a BG I just did and I could not get ink very well into the recesses...I'll post it later to show what I mean.
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 12:40:05 PM »
Melissa, my first thought is that you do it in the order prescribed in the technique to get a really aged look. But I will wait and see your photo.
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
Ok Heidi, here is my BG I did this morning.

lots of dots

You can kinda see the EP at the top more...but it's still dark I think.  But anyways, I thought about trying this EF again (unless you think this kind of EF would not be good for this technique), but instead color the CS then embossed. 

What do you think?

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2015, 01:52:36 PM »
Melissa, I totally see what you mean. I think that I am okay with you sponging your color on before you emboss so long as you add at least one color after you emboss.  Does that make sense?  That seems like a good compromise to me. 

I think that embossing folder is really good for this technique!  I think the idea is that because the embossing powder must be metallic, that it should show up pretty well. 

hth

Thanks for putting so much work into this challenge!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2015, 03:05:06 PM »
Thanks Heidi!  And yes it totally makes sense what you are say.... What I was actually thinking of doing, was color the CS with the chosen colors, then emboss it, then color it again in the same area I colored the corresponding colors the first time that way it darkens the embossing. 

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2015, 03:16:01 PM »
Thanks Heidi!  And yes it totally makes sense what you are say.... What I was actually thinking of doing, was color the CS with the chosen colors, then emboss it, then color it again in the same area I colored the corresponding colors the first time that way it darkens the embossing.

Yes, that sounds fine :)
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 05:00:05 PM »
Here is my BG I made where I colored the BG first, etc. 

circle BG

I did change my BG colors trying to mimic pottery more, but I am still having trouble controlling the EP.  I would like it to cover just areas here and there, bit it seems to grab on to the entire piece, despite I heat set the BG first before applying Versamark.  Maybe I should had let the piece sit for 30 min after heat set. 

Thank you for a fun challenge Heidi!  I am liking the way the BG look despite it may not be what I was going for!

ETA:  I forgot that I was going to link a photo here comparing the two BG.  See below....

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2015, 05:16:22 PM »
Melissa, do you happen to have a versamark or some kind of embossing ink marker?  That is what I used on the piece that I had debossed and that seemed to work pretty good just getting it where I wanted it, especially down in the stem parts, or when your done putting on the embossing powder just take a cheap paint brush and wipe away whatever embossing powder you don't want on there

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 05:19:04 PM »
Melissa, I really like your second piece!  Thanks for doing my challenge!

I think that if you really want less gold, you could also just use a brush to knock off some of the powder before you heat it.  You could be precise with a small brush or just random too.  However, I think it looks really good!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 05:33:02 PM »
Connie, that is a good idea---I do have a Versamark Pen--so I'll try that sometime too.

Heidi and Connie, I am not sure why I didn't think to brush off the EP!  lol!!  It was like I thought it was permanent despite I hadn't even heated it yet.    I think I was thinking it'd still leave EP behind (like when you chase the EP off the page and one keeps staying behind). 

Thank to both of you for your suggestions!

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 09:36:02 PM »
Here is my entry. I really enjoyed this technique and would love to do more.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=77&pid=1099#top_display_media  --  background

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=77&pid=1100#top_display_media -- card

I used Bundled sage and Tattered Rose Distress inks, but they show very light. I used silver embossing powder on the raised areas.

Stampwilly

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 12:48:56 PM »
Oh my I am afraid I lost my way on this challenge!  I spent what time I had yesterday creating 4 embossed backgrounds. This morning it looks like I missed the intent of this technique to create the look of eroded metal.  When I initially went to the splitcoaststampers technique the video did not download.  Watching the video this morning got me back on track.  Heidi, I appreciate the awesome inspiration card you made for us!  If only I had been a tad less creative…Lol.  Now I need to take a break to refocus but plan to be back before the week is over.
...Jan

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2015, 01:01:09 PM »
Oh my I am afraid I lost my way on this challenge!  I spent what time I had yesterday creating 4 embossed backgrounds. This morning it looks like I missed the intent of this technique to create the look of eroded metal.  When I initially went to the splitcoaststampers technique the video did not download.  Watching the video this morning got me back on track.  Heidi, I appreciate the awesome inspiration card you made for us!  If only I had been a tad less creative…Lol.  Now I need to take a break to refocus but plan to be back before the week is over.
...Jan

Jan, if you followed the instructions I put in the OP, your backgrounds may qualify anyhow.  :)
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2015, 11:47:25 AM »
Connie, that is a good idea---I do have a Versamark Pen--so I'll try that sometime too.

Heidi and Connie, I am not sure why I didn't think to brush off the EP!  lol!!  It was like I thought it was permanent despite I hadn't even heated it yet.    I think I was thinking it'd still leave EP behind (like when you chase the EP off the page and one keeps staying behind). 

Thank to both of you for your suggestions!

This is going to sound strange but I used the little round inking tool with a clean foam to put embossing ink on my project.  It was easier to just get the embossing powder on part of the paper that way.  LOL there is always a "cheat" yah know.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......