Author Topic: INK 16 Foiled! - Winner Announced  (Read 6069 times)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
INK 16 Foiled! - Winner Announced
« on: October 14, 2016, 08:15:21 PM »
This challenge is based upon a Plaid product my Mom demonstrated back in the 1990s, when she was a craft demonstrator for Plaid and would demonstrate their products at different craft stores in the areas. The product involved an image printed on acetate that was colored with a translucent medium but the background was colored with an opaque medium and then backed with tin foil.  I've been wanted to try it for a card for a while. 

Requirements: Create a project using the tin foil technique.  Don't worry, I'm about to explain it better and I did step by step photos on my blog.

Your project can be anything that will work with the technique.

Be sure to link your project to this thread, or I might miss it.  If you remember, include INK 16 Foiled as a label and in the title of your piece. 

There will be a drawing for RAK.  Your name will go in the hat for each project you enter.

The Technique:

Step 1 – stamp an image on a piece of acetate. 

Step 2 – color in the image on the reverse side with a coloring medium that will be translucent.

Step 3 – this is the tedious step.  You need to use something that will be opaque to color around the stamped image.  I used a metallic acrylic paint.  You need to color everywhere except your stamped image.  Do the painting on the reverse side. Make sure you don't paint where you colored.  You want the stamped image to be translucent.  It will probably take several layers to get it opaque.  Just let it dry between layers.  It took me about 4 or 5 layers to get it fully colored.

Step 4 – lightly crumple a piece of tin foil.  You are going to attach the tin foil behind the image.  It will show through in the areas that are translucent but not where they are opaque.

Step 5 – make a frame.  You can either make your frame the same size as you card or you can make a smaller frame.  I've got samples for both. 

Step 6 - Attach the image to the back of the frame.

Step 7 -  This is going to depend on whether you did a full size frame or a smaller frame.  If the frame is the size of the card, attach the tin foil to your card base.  If you did a smaller frame, lay the foil down behind the image.  Don't use any glue at this point because you don't want it interfering with the effect. Then glue a scrap piece of paper cut out with the same die as your frame to sandwich the frame, image and tin foil together.

If your confused, here is a link to my blog, which has step by step photos for the smaller frame version. 

Blog Post

Combining challenges: But of course.

Deadline: You have until midnight your local time on Sunday October 23 to post your project.

Examples:

Sample 1

Sample 2
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:45:12 PM by Craft Nerd »
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: INK 16 Foiled!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 07:33:17 AM »
Amazing technique, I have never heard of it before.  Your results are really fabulous, this sounds difficult but I want to try it!  Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 08:21:40 AM »
I have never heard of this either, sounds interesting and looks terrific!

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 08:34:07 AM »
I'm glad you guys like the challenge.

Heidi - it isn't really difficult, just a bit time consuming when you get to the paint step.  Although, it probably would have been a lot easier with an image that had less detail in the shape.  A simpler shape would have been faster to color around. 
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 09:52:17 AM »
I have always loved how wrinkled foil illuminates coloring.  I will have to pull out my Sharpie markers.
Thanks Sarah!

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 03:31:15 PM »
Beautiful samples!  Thank you for the detailed tutorial on your blog.  I tried to leave a comment there, but I'm not sure if it worked.

Daria

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 04:52:24 PM »
Daria - your comment on my blog worked.  I just had to go in and publish it. 
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 06:59:53 PM »
I am working on this tonight.  I am not sure about my results. I am thinking about using a stamping with wider stamped lines so I can see them better.  Also I seem to be able to see my paint strokes really well and I think I need to try to smooth those out next time too.

The foil does look really nice through the image though! I will keep at it!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 07:11:14 PM »
Heidi, I found that the more layers of paint I added, the less noticeable the paint strokes became. 
Sarah

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 12:34:32 PM »
I am getting ready to do this. I think it is beautiful. Can't wait to try! :smile:

April

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 02:31:11 PM »
This was my most difficult change thus far.  I did not find complex images and shading not as complimentary with the crinkled foil as I had hoped.

Hope you like what finally made.  Here is the gallery post..

Thanks for the challenge Sarah!...Jan

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 04:28:55 PM »
I think it came out fabulous, Jan.  Thanks for playing.
Sarah

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 12:53:54 PM »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 11:29:37 AM »
This is a very pretty technique. I tried a stamp with more bold lines and also I applied the paint in thinner coats.  I felt these two things gave me better results. In fact, with this stamp I was able to paint right over the antennae and body of the butterfly and it still turned out well. 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2994#top_display_media

Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 05:24:38 PM »
April and Heidi, your cards are beautiful.  Thanks for playing.
Sarah