Author Topic: INK15--Bisque Pottery Technique--Winner Announced  (Read 13912 times)

Offline djc

• Stampers
INK15--Bisque Pottery Technique--Winner Announced
« on: October 17, 2015, 01:27:17 PM »
Welcome to Inktoberfest 2015.  I have a technique challenge for you—the Bisque Technique.  It has been around for a while, but I’ve never used it even though I love the way it looks.  It is very similar to the Letterpress Technique that Cindi featured in her All Year Christmas Challenge in March.  However, instead of inking up the side of the embossing folder that has the raised design, you ink up the side that has the recessed design.  Instead of coloring the debossed image, you will have colored the background. 

Diana Gibbs has a Video Tutorial to help you out with this simple technique.  Be sure to read the comments posted to this thread.  Participants have posted great advice for achieving success with this technique.

1.  Choose white or cream cardstock and a neutral or soft color of ink so that your result will resemble bisque china. (Some people had better results with inexpensive paper that was more absorbent than the Neenah Classic Crest that I used, for example, Georgia Pacific.)

2.  Use a brayer to apply water-based ink onto the inside of the embossing folder on the side that has the recessed images.  That is normally the side where the company’s logo is printed.  (Per the posts that follow, other inks work better; try pigment ink including chalk inks; try Memento.)

3.  Lay the cardstock onto the uninked side of the embossing folder so you can move it around without disturbing the inked side.

4.  Close the folder and put it through the Cuttlebug or whatever machine you use.  (I had better results when I put it through the machine very slowly and back again very slowly.)

That’s it. 

Tip:  When I tried this, I wasn’t happy with my results.  The ink was splotchy or spotty.  I tried various inks.  I tried different ways of applying the ink to the folder.  Nothing helped.  Yesterday, I gave it one last try.  I applied the ink with a brayer.  I rolled the folder through the Cuttlebug very slowly so that the ink would have a chance to cover the cardstock; then I rolled it very slowly back again.  It worked.  I had a very smooth coverage of ink.

Sample Card

•  This challenge will run from Saturday, October 17 through Sunday, October 25.
•   Please post your card in the gallery set aside for Inktoberfest, 2015, and use INK15 Bisque for your keyword and in your title.
•  You may combine this challenge with others if the other hosts/hostesses allows combining.
•  Don’t forget to come back here to leave comments and link to your card.
•  I’ll draw a name from my trusty old hat to determine who will receive a RAK at the end of the challenge.   

I hope you enjoy this challenge.
Daria

ETA:  We're headed out to celebrate my daughter's birthday.  I'll check back here when we return.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:58:24 PM by djc »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: INK15--Bisque Pottery Technique
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 01:38:43 PM »
I had seen some really pretty cards completed with the technique but had trouble with inking as you described.  Thanks so much for your continuous testing!  Hope I have time to give it a try!

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 01:58:06 PM »
I have done this technique quite a few times but always had blotchy results but I never ran it through slowly, I will have to give that a try, that may be my problem, I love the look this gives and your example is just Gorgeous!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 02:42:01 PM »
This is so beautiful!  What a lovely example!

I, too, have always had trouble with any kind of embossing folder-inking techniques. I will try what you described.  I have a very pretty color of pigment ink that is a linen color and I would like to try that one. 

Thanks so much for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 03:29:37 PM »
Cool technique.  I will definitely have to give it a try.  I'll add you to the cheat sheet.  And just to be sure I get it right, we can only combo with one other challenge?
Sarah

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 04:17:32 PM »
Heidi, if you use a pigment ink, you'll probably need to clean your folder quickly with stamp cleaner.

Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 08:29:21 PM »
Well, I did not have luck, although I also did not have any trouble getting the pigment ink cleaned off the folders. I think it might be that I need to put a shim in for embossing. My cuttlebug is getting a little looser over time.  It also might not have been good folder choice so I will try some more. 

ETA:  The pigment ink did have good coverage, but it just didn't take over the whole folder.  It took better around the edges than in the middle. That is why I think it might be the folder or the machine.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 08:51:00 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 08:36:27 PM »
My first try came out splotchy.  I used Distress Ink in Shabby Shutters on cream.  I think it would be really pretty if it wasn't splotchy. 

And apparently, I've been storing my brayer wrong for years.  I watched the video and she starts with how your supposed to store your brayer.  And she was right, the wheel is a little deformed.  That explains why the dang thing never rolls smoothly.  I guess a new brayer is going on my Christmas wish list.
Sarah

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 08:43:15 PM »
Sarah, did you roll it through your machine and back again super slowly?

Daria

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 10:16:20 PM »
Thanks so much for the challenge Daria, and thanks for the tips on making it work!

I love the bisque pottery/Wedgewood look this gives.  Can't wait to give it a try.
Cindi

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 10:22:49 PM »
Yep, I actually rolled through, back and through again.  I'm going to try again tomorrow. 
Sarah

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 06:20:12 AM »
Sarah, when I rolled it through, I did it as slowly as possible and still keep the darn thing moving. 

Something else--with one that I didn't like, I repeated the steps--reinking the folder and putting the cardstock through again.  You can put the design in the exact same place in the folder.  You'll feel it grab onto the raised areas of the design.  It came out with very irregular striations, and I liked it a lot.  It did not look like bisque, but I liked it anyway.  Try that with your splotchy piece.

Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 06:45:45 AM »
Heidi, I also tried shims when I was at Nora's, but I couldn't come up with a combination that worked.

However, your mentioning that made me realize that I'm now using a new machine.  My old one actually came apart the last time I was at Nora's.  We were trying to die cut something.  I had set it up with too many shims; it worked great for a while, and then the side piece came apart.  Even after popping everything back in place, it would open up when I rolled something through.  Maybe I can glue it back together.  (Fortunately, I had one in reserve.  Quite a while ago, I couldn't resist a fabulous sale on the newer blue one--the whole set for the cost of a set of replacement plates.)

Daria

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 09:05:23 AM »
I did go really slowly.  But I'll try running it again.  It maybe that my wonky brayer resulted in uneven coverage on the folder and that might have caused the splotches.  I'm definitely going to give it another go. 
Sarah

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 09:56:50 AM »
Really great result with this technique, Daria!

I have tried this technique before but wasn't able to get a clean result, I'm going to give it ago again. Thanks for hosting!
LeighAnn