Author Topic: AIR17 Chatting about stamping and cardmaking  (Read 8049 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
AIR17 Chatting about stamping and cardmaking
« on: July 07, 2017, 07:01:10 PM »
I will post the starter question soon.
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: AIR17 Chatting about stamping and cardmaking
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 08:10:24 AM »
I often liked to do the interview thread during fests, it is fun to learn about each other.  This time, I thought I would do it differently.  I thought we could just have a conversation about stamping and cardmaking.

Feel free to ask questions and come back frequently to reply to what others are talking about.

I will start us off.  We all have been crafting and stamping for a while now.  What do you think is the biggest change since you started stamping?  Are there things you wish were the same as before?  What is the best improvement?

Feel free to veer off all directions.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:06:30 AM »
Biggest changes--The change from only rubber stamps to now choices of cling and clear stamps too.  Also broadening choices from individual stamps to sets. 

Things that were previously easier-when I worked I spent 90% of my day on the computer and have never adjusted to wanting to spend time on social media.  I do enjoy learning from others and so my current favorite social media is You Tube.

Best improvement-broadening the scope of stamping to include lots of mixed media options.  I feel it has broadened the possibilities of being more creative.

I feel like I missed the whole wave of folks starting with distress oxide inks.  Have you bought any?  What do you think of them?  Any favorite techniques?

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:15:03 AM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »
I think one of the biggest changes is that there is just so much stuff!  That is a pro and a con.  Before: I bought a single wood block rubber stamp and I would color it with whatever I had at home ... markers or colored pencils most likely.  Now there are special markers and pencils that are marketed to rubber stampers.  So we think we NEED those  ;)  Just the quantity of stamps and supplies can be overwhelming.  I'll be interested to see how Jan's crafty life changes after her purge and move.  Will you enjoy it more?  Will you miss anything?

So what do I miss?  Hmmm, again I'm thinking of what I don't miss.  I used to pretty much stamp alone on my kitchen table.  Now I might be stamping alone physically, but with Artsy Inkers, youtube videos, blogs, etc., it doesn't feel as lonely.  I can see what others are doing online.  Hmm, I guess that has a con too, because I often spend too much time looking at what everyone else is doing and not enough time actually creating something.

Best improvement : today I'm feeling like the best improvement is in stamp positioning tools!  WooHoo!  All is not wasted if you don't get a good impression the first time.  I did use my stamp-a-ma-jig before, and I will probably still use it.  I like stamping on the clear sheet and being able to try the image out before I stamp it on paper ... move it around, does it fit, etc.
but for stamping multiple copies of one image and getting a good impression, the new hinged stamp positioners rock!

Distress oxide inks - Heidi, I hope you respond to this.  You've been getting wonderful results from the oxides!  At first I didn't think I needed any, then I saw what Heidi was making, and watched youtube videos and decided to try a few.  I need more play time.  They stick really well to clear stamps and give good coverage on solid stamp images so that is nice without even getting in to all of the background techniques. 

Heidi, am I supposed to add another question or let the conversation continue on these topics for awhile?
Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 03:58:04 PM »
From Heidi: What do you think is the biggest change since you started stamping?
Oh gosh I have to agree with Iring on this, there is so much stuff to choose from.  I especially like the tools that have come out in the last few years.  I remember when I got my first red sizzix machine and a few of those big clunky dies, I thought I was in heaven.  Now I have a cart and several drawers and boxes full of dies (and a fiskars large base cutting machine which seems new to me but they do not make them anymore).  I like the electronic cutting machines too.  And the coloring mediums, wow there are so many choices now.  Back in the day you had colored pencils or waterbased markers that ran on the paper that was available.  I used to buy my white card stock by the ream at Staples and it was the heaviest they sold at the time.  The markers bled terribly on it.  I still have some of the things I made at that time and oh my goodness they look terrible with the bleeding that has gotten worse through the years.

Are there things you wish were the same as before?
Nope I do not wish for the inks that were available, the paper, or the big stamps on wooden blocks.  I like it much more now.

What is the best improvement?
There are so many choices in ink, paper, stamps, dies, and tools now that I thing they are all the best improvements.

From Far North: I feel like I missed the whole wave of folks starting with distress oxide inks.  Have you bought any?  What do you think of them?  Any favorite techniques?

Yes I have all the oxide inks, the new 12 release arrived this morning.  I like them a lot.  I like them for stamping and for backgrounds.  I like them about as much as I like the distress inks which is saying a lot because I really like the distress inks.  I haven't tried all the techniques I have seen done with the oxides on the youtubes but I am working my way through them.

You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 10:17:25 PM »
We had a busy day, so I will be back to discuss tomorrow.  Just wanted to say that yes, you can ask new questions at any time like a regular chat thread. :) O0
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 10:25:16 AM »
I had the exact same thought as Iring.  There is so much stuff.  Which can be a blessing and a curse.  I keep getting new stuff and ignoring the old.  And I have so many stamps that I have yet to use. 

Another big change is Pinterest.  You know the old say, "Idle hands are the devil's playground," I'm convinced that Pinterest is the new devil's playground.  It is a great place to get all sorts of ideas.  But as Iring mentioned you can end up spending more time looking at ideas than actually craft.

I also agree with Sadie and Iring about the new tools being the best improvement.  My Misti is great when I remember to use it.  ;D  And thin dies are a huge improvement over the big clunky ones. 

Despite seeing some really cool things done with the distress oxide inks, I still haven't joined the band wagon.  I just haven't been stamping as much lately.  I've veered off into mixed media stuff.  And I just can't justify the expense and the space it will take up. 

Since I'm on a never ending quest to find the most efficient way to store all my stuff, I'm wondering what are some of the best storage ideas you've come across or used?  I have been unmounting my stamps for years and putting them in CD & DVD cases but I'm starting to wonder if there is a more space efficient way to store them. 
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 12:27:53 PM »
Wow, great thoughts!  I agree about there being an overwhelming amount of supplies.  I do like the improvement in quality of inks, but wish that every stamping company didn't feel like they needed a whole line of paper and inks and markers, etc.  The reason I don't like it is because I think some are going to close and then you won't be able to replace the colors later on. 

Changes:  When I started stamping, I went to the local craft store, looked at wood mount stamps and supplies, picked out stuff, and then went home and used what I bought.  They also had samples made up in the store to give you ideas of how to use your supplies.

Now, the craft store sells relatively few stamping supplies and I do many purchases online, and then they are usually cling mount or clear stamps.  Sometimes, when I buy a stamp set I am very surprised at the size of the stamps when they come. There are now tons more ideas online. 

What I wish was the same?  That I did more crafting, less looking, and was less critical of my work.  Although I didn't know about any at the time, I wish there was a local groups that still got together to craft.  I love online groups and forums, but would like IRL ones too.  And I am working on using what I have more instead of browsing for new stuff.

I am still waiting for my Tim Holtz stamp positioner, so I hope I love it as much as y'all love your MISTIs. 

Oxide inks:  Yes, I did say above that I think there are too many lines of inks, but I do love the oxides.  They are different and add new things to do with your old stamps.  You can do the Tim style of backgrounds, but I really think they are FANTASTIC for stamping, especially on colored cardstocks.  I have enjoyed watercolor stamping with them to get very cool effects, sponging on cardstocks of all colors, sponging and then stamping with water, and adding something shiny to an oxide background.  April recently shared a card where she used the oxide ink to paint in an image - that looked cool.

I have shared lots of Oxide projects and a couple techniques on my blog.  This link should take you to all those projects from newest to oldest, if you are interested.  http://mylittlestampingblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Distress%20Oxide

I am jealous that Sadie got her second set of colors already!  I preordered them and am still waiting.  I did think that the second set is better colors than the first.  Tim apparently randomly selected the first 12 and they don't all play well together. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 12:33:41 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 12:31:31 PM »
I wish I had better ideas for organization, but I really am not super organized.  I do have a small space to work with so I just fit what I can, and I have an overflow pile that doesn't really work for me anymore!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »
What a great discussion to find after I just got back from a stamp show! This time I took 4 classes which I haven't done in years! Of course all the vendors had the latest and greatest stuff! I have been pickier lately since I have so much stuff, so I try to get things that are unusual or different.

When I started out it was mostly wood mounted stamps and embossing powder.

Improvements have been the Misti and die cut and embossing machines. Of course they are always coming up with better ways of doing things and I am happy about that. I am a techniques person and I just love working with them. I feel that these days in some ways there is less creativity and more kits for making cards and such.

I love the Oxide inks and have the first set. There are so many techniques with them and I love them all. The inks do stick well on clear stamps and make stamping easy and crisp looking.

I have found the best way to store paper scraps, embellishment, die cut shapes, etc. is to use large clear gallon size freezer bags. It is easy to see what is inside. I have stored my plain rubber stamps from my design team in them and labeled them so that I can just grab that one bag to look through  instead of looking through all the unmounted rubber stamps.

April

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 02:02:28 PM »
April, and anyone who goes to stamp shows, how have they changed?  Are they smaller now?
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 10:09:18 PM »
Hmmm, I don't know, what do you think April?

I went to the Stamp & Scrapbook Expo in Orlando.  It used to be called only Scrapbook Expo and there might have been a handfull of booths with stamps.  In Orlando there were quite a few stamping supplies.  I'd say maybe at least half or more of the booths were stamping. 

There are two Stampfests in Florida.  At least last year they were still well attended with more booths than I could get to in a day (but I'm a slow shopper, I look at everything, stop and watch demos, can't decide where to spend $ ...) . This year I didn't go because they moved the February event further away from me, about 4 hours, and the June event was only a few months after I just over did it at Stamp & Scrapbook Expo so I stayed away  :o

As far as organization ... I'm always looking for ideas.  I still have lots of wood mounted stamps and they are in a cabinet in acrylic box frames turned upside down and used as trays.  I'm working at getting my clear, cling and unmounted rubber stamps in Avery Elle clear envelopes stored in Frig Bins similar to Jennifer McGuire's method.  I love the frig bin storage so far.  I have stamps divided in to journalling/sentiments/calendar year/themes.  I've watched Totally Tiffany's organizing videos over and over hoping I will absorb it by osmosis and/or the organizing faeries will come while I sleep!  I'm trying to catalog my stamps so I can keep sets together but still see for example, all my heart stamps and where to find them.  It is a very slow, overwhelming process which I have stopped and started several times. 
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 10:26:54 PM »
I'm convinced that Pinterest is the new devil's playground.

Exactly!   :angel:  We need a devil emoji! 

When I started out it was mostly wood mounted stamps and embossing powder.

Yep!  Those were my first purchases.  A few wood mounted stamps and then a Milwaukee heat gun and embossing powder.  Embossing powder just seemed like magic!  I still use my original Milwaukee, and I think I got it at Home Depot. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:29:34 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 11:01:42 AM »
The stamp shows did get real small but I think they are on the upswing since the economy is better.  This Stamp and Scrapbook Expo had the most vendors I have seen in awhile. It was very well attended both on Friday and Saturday. The other shows I went to in the winter were less attended and had less vendors. I think the Stamp and Scrapbook Expo gets more people by offering so many classes for 2 days. They also have a big crop going on as well. They also give away lots of prizes all through the day. I think this might be the only one I go to from now on. We will see! LOL!

April :smile:

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 08:14:44 PM »
I wonder what one would need to leave out to lure the organizing fairies to my house.   :smile:

Iring - if you click on more under the emojis, you can find the devil -  >:D

I'm trying to catalog my stamps so I can keep sets together but still see for example, all my heart stamps and where to find them.  It is a very slow, overwhelming process which I have stopped and started several times. 

I'm with you on that.  Everytime I think I'm done, I buy more stamps. Perhaps I just need to stop buying stamps.   ::)

Sarah