Author Topic: AIR17 Chatting about stamping and cardmaking  (Read 8050 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: AIR17 Chatting about stamping and cardmaking
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 09:43:43 PM »
Perhaps I just need to stop buying stamps
:o

Happy Emoji day!  I heard them talking about it on the Today Show!  Thanks for showing me where to find the devil!  Haha!
 >:D

Heehee.  Hmm what would we need to leave out to attract the organizing fairies?!  Good question!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 06:32:32 AM »
Here's a new question.  What keeps you stamping and cardmaking...all these years? What kind of projects are your favorite to make?
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 11:07:38 AM »
CraftNerd there is no golden ring for organizing anything.  The best advice I have ever seen about organizing anything is.......figure out how you use the things you want to organize and then organize them in a way that will be easy for you to find and use them......so for stamps for example how do you use them?  Do you use them as sets, like to look at them as sets?  Do you use stamps in categories, like hearts, stars, background stamps, flowers, etc.?  Then organize them in whichever way you use them.  Do you like to look through your stamps for inspiration?  Then have them so you can flip through or look through them.  Would you actually use a stamp inventory to find the stamp you want to use?  If so it might be worth the time to make a master book of all your stamps.  Put some thought into how you want to use or find your stamps and then try and find an organizing system that will work for you.

I have all my unmounted rubber stamps organized in plastic folder dealies that are made for scrapbooking supplies and they have held up really well.  I have the cling stamps which are Tim Holtz, Dina Wakely, Dyan Reavely, and Paper Artsy in Avery Elle extra large plastic envelopes in plastic bins that I got at Ikea.  I still have some in those albums that I have gotten at Hobby Lobby with coupons.  So my stamps are organized in many different ways.  I would think that if I did not have the folder thingies I would put my unmounted stamps in Avery Elle plastic envelopes by the same categories I have them in now and then into a bin like the other stamps.  I would label the envelopes and then it would be easy to find the hearts, stars, Christmas, Etc stamps to look through.  If I really wanted to get fancy (which I have done) I would stamp all the stamps on white paper and laminate it to go into the envelopes with the stamps in that envelope.  It took a couple days and I have most of them done.  I know that the Ranger cling stamps do not need to go into envelopes but some of the stupid stamps fall off the heavy plastic backing so I like to put them into envelopes so all the stamp sets are together and there isn't one in the bottom of the bin or one that falls out of the album when I am moving it.  (Not admitting that I have had that happen and found it on the floor later)  I did need to trim the hard plastic backing so the Tim Holtz, dylusions, and Paper Artsy fit into the extra large folders, but the dina wakely ones fit without trimming, does not make any sense.

I usually leave the stamp sets in the plastic they come in until it rips or breaks then put the backing paper and the stamps into an Avery Elle plastic envelope.

I am at work but will try to take some pictures of how my unmouted stamps are stored tonight and post them in case you want to explore the same sort of system.....LOL this turned out to be a book, didn't it?

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:09:52 AM by CarefreeSadie »
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 08:10:57 PM »
Here are the folder things I use for unmounted rubber stamps.   Some of them have 8 inside envelopes and some have more.  The bottom pictures are of the folders open and you can see the envelopes inside them.

I hope this explains how I store them and how it would work to use the Avery Elle plastic envelopes in a box thing.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 08:14:19 PM »
I usually leave the stamp sets in the plastic they come in until it rips or breaks then put the backing paper and the stamps into an Avery Elle plastic envelope.

This has been my way of doing things too. I can't bring myself to spend the money on extra pockets until the originals break.  Are there anything like the Avery Elle pockets to fit 6x8 size stamp sets like the Gina K ones? 

Sadie, your organization looks fantastic!
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 08:24:59 PM »

This has been my way of doing things too. I can't bring myself to spend the money on extra pockets until the originals break.  Are there anything like the Avery Elle pockets to fit 6x8 size stamp sets like the Gina K ones? 

Sadie, your organization looks fantastic!

The Avery Elle extra large ones are 6 3/4 x 9 3/8 inches.  They would work.  They cost around $12.00 for 50 plastic envelopes.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 08:51:48 PM »
Oh, I didn't know they came that large!  That's great!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 09:11:45 PM »
Those folders look cool, Sadie.  And that was a great tip about organizing based on how you use stuff. 

I've unmounts all my stamps and have them in CD/ DVD cases.  The cases are labeled by category and numbered.  I also have 2 binders with an inventory of all my stamps (except a few new ones).  And I love having the inventory.  I can sit and flip through it and plan out my cards.

My main problem is that I have so many stamps that the CD/DVD cases are starting to take up a lot of room.  I have them in decorative boxes and I've got 3 boxes stacked on top of each other in my craft closet.  And invariably, the stamp I want is in the bottom box. 

What keeps me stamping/ cardmaking?  This year I haven't been stamping that much.  The challenges here are a great inspiration.  And at this point, everyone in my life expects to get cool handmade cards for birthdays and holidays that I feel compelled to make them.   
Sarah

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 11:00:14 PM »
everyone in my life expects to get cool handmade cards

Yep!  That keeps me stamping too!
The other thing that might keep me stamping is I'd like to start stamping more in a traveler's notebook.  I'm not much of a planner person but I do occasionally use a bullet journal.  I recently bought a traveler's notebook on sale at JoAnn's, it's by Webster's Pages.  Haven't put anything in it yet ... Does anyone else do any journal/planner stamping?

Sadie, thanks for the organization tips!  I really like those folders.  You can fit a lot of stamps in a small space.  The bit about how you want to use your stamps and how you want to look for them makes sense.  I organized all of my embossing folders in to Totally Tiffany flippin' storage pages and made an index catalog of crayon rubbings.  So now I look in my catalog to find which folder I want and which page it's stored in ... but I kind of miss when they were in a basket and I just flipped through the actual embossing folders, rather than looking at rubbings of folders.  I've started (barely) cataloging stamps but it's such an overwhelming task and I'm not sure I'll even want to look through a catalog.  Yet I know it would be so nice to find that heart stamp (for example) that might be in a random set that isn't Valentine or wedding.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:04:06 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 01:18:48 PM »
New topic: Is there a type of image or stamp/die that you want but no one is selling?  A product idea no one is making? In what areas should the stamp industry expand? 
(Feel free to keep going with your own topics and questions)
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 01:42:56 PM »
What keeps you stamping and cardmaking...all these years? What kind of projects are your favorite to make?

Well for one thing I have a room full of stamping and cardmaking items that I love so that keeps me going and going and going........

My favorite projects are sometimes things that I see on youtube and then make with things I have instead of what they used....my last favorite project was mini flat canvases, like 4 x 4 canvases using the Tim Holtz crazy dogs and cats and sayings........I actually used the stupid distress crayons in that project and love how they turned out.  It is the little surprises like that which keeps me going back to the hole in the wall craft room........LOL

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 01:52:34 PM »
Is there a type of image or stamp/die that you want but no one is selling?  A product idea no one is making? In what areas should the stamp industry expand? 

I cannot think of any type of stamp or die that I want that isn't being sold.  There are still so many different stamp companies making so many different types of stamps that a person can find just about anything they might want already made up and packaged for sale.

I would like a thing like the scan and cut 2 that would hook up to the computer so you could also design and send to the machine.  I like the idea of the scan and cut.  I would love to have one but I already have a cameo and two of the original circuts so I cannot justify buying it to just scan and cut out stamps, even though it would be cheaper then buying all the dies to go with the stamps.  I want one machine that will do it all.....but I am screwed anyway because I use MTC and no one is supporting it anymore so eventually I will need to find a different program......but it still works with my cricuts since I haven't upgraded past the point of when provo craft sued the MTC maker.......

I really think the stamp industry has expanded so far out of what it started to be that I am unsure if it can expand anymore.  Cards, Scrapbooking, Planners, Project Life, Mixed Media, Art Journals, Household decorating items........what else is there?  Perhaps designer toilet paper?  LOL

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 02:17:16 PM »
Sadie, if you have the cameo, you have design software ... or maybe you need to upgrade to Designer Edition, it is totally worth it and much cheaper to upgrade your cameo software than it is to buy a Scan and Cut!  You can cut stamped images on the cameo ... there may be an extra step.  You can do it with a pixscan mat or I know there are videos out there showing how to do it without the special mat (you'd need a scanner, or printer/copier/scanner).  I haven't done much of that (cutting stamped images) but I want to take some time and learn how to do more of that, soon.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 02:18:48 PM »
Well,  we've used TP for casting over rubber stamps ... I bet someone out there has stamped on it!  Ha!  I've thought about stamping napkins ... but you'd have to be careful of ink ... maybe archival?
Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 02:37:57 PM »
Sadie, if you have the cameo, you have design software ... or maybe you need to upgrade to Designer Edition, it is totally worth it and much cheaper to upgrade your cameo software than it is to buy a Scan and Cut!  You can cut stamped images on the cameo ... there may be an extra step.  You can do it with a pixscan mat or I know there are videos out there showing how to do it without the special mat (you'd need a scanner, or printer/copier/scanner).  I haven't done much of that (cutting stamped images) but I want to take some time and learn how to do more of that, soon.

I do have the cameo designer software but I cannot update that either or I loose the ability to save files as svg.  The powers that be decided that we should not be able to save our own purchased files as svg. and took that away in the software update some time ago, they lost me right there........since there are no other programs that can read the silhouette file it is no good for anything but the silhouette software after a certain update......They can give me new things but do not take away something I use in the program.  Since I use those files in my sewing embossing program I do not want to loose that.  But without the updated software I can no longer download anything from the silhouette store they still win........