Author Topic: WF16--Negativity at its Best -- WINNER ANNOUNCED!  (Read 11848 times)

Offline djc

• Stampers
WF16--Negativity at its Best -- WINNER ANNOUNCED!
« on: January 22, 2016, 05:14:47 PM »
Welcome to Winterfest 2016!  This year’s event will open on Saturday, January 23 and continue through Sunday, January 31. 

I looked through my Pinterest Board for inspiration to help me decide upon a challenge for this event.  I found some cards I really like that are pretty simple to make.  I went looking through my gallery to see if I had made any myself.  Uh-uh.  That cinched it.  The best way to get myself to do something new is to use it as the basis for a challenge.  I’m calling this challenge Negativity at its Best.

For this challenge you will be using the negative image from a die cut.  You can use the positive image for something else or on the inside of the card if you want to, but the front of the card will be what is left over after you die cut an image.  So just set that image aside.   You can use any technique and/or media to decorate the piece that goes behind your opening.

If you don’t have any dies, you can use a kraft knife or scissors to cut a shape out of your cardstock and use the piece you have left after removing the shape.

Here’s a card I made at a workshop that is the closest I came to actually doing this myself.  They provided us with a piece of cardstock with the circle already cut out.  Ornament Card

Here are some other samples made by a few different people:

By Welmoed
By Loll Thompson
By Lisa Addesa
By Darlenestamps

Aren’t they cool?!

Requirements:
1.  You must make a new project.  It can be a card or something else.
2.  Please post your project in the Artsy Inker Gallery set aside for Winterfest 2016.  Begin the Subject line with WF16.  Use the keyword, WF16-Neg. 
3.  Please link your gallery post to this thread and share your experiences here.
4.  You may combine this challenge with other challenges.

The names of participants who adhere to the requirements will be drawn from my old straw hat to determine who gets a small prize.

One more thing.  We're celebrating my nephew's birthday on Opening Day.  It seems that something is always happening during our events.  I'll still be checking in, but I won't be glued to the computer.  Sorry.

Don’t forget to have fun.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you make.

Daria

ETA:  I added this sentence to the original instructions:  You can use any technique and/or media to decorate the piece that goes behind your opening.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 01:28:24 PM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: WF16--Negativity at its Best
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:44:19 AM »
I love your title, how fun!  I do really like the look of this type of card.  Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 09:32:05 AM »
I love your sample card.  What a great way to use ribbon. 

I've got a question, is stamping a requirement for your challenge?
Sarah

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 09:55:45 AM »
Your card is very pretty.  What an interesting challenge.  Thank you for hosting.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »
This will be a fun challenge! Now thinking of what die to use!

April ;D

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 11:43:49 AM »
I love this look!  Wonderful samples!

Good question Craft Nerd.
Cindi

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 11:53:10 AM »
Love your sample card!

And I'm  :laughhard: :laughhard: because I'm pretty sure I have a couple of these same ones pinned or have at least eyed them a few times and thought oh, I just HAVE to make these. Have I done it yet? Nope  ::)

So thanks for hosting and giving me a push, Daria!
LeighAnn

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 11:56:48 AM »
I have been eyeing these too and meant to try it but hadn't yet

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 12:07:07 PM »
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who loves these cards.  I long ago fell in love with the last sample, the brown/red snowflake card; it's the one that drew me to this style of card. 

Sarah, stamping is not required.  I looked back at the samples, and the only stamping I see are the sentiments.  You can use any technique and/or media to decorate the piece that goes behind your opening.  On the ornament card, we used Washi Tape, and I drew lines along the edges of each piece with a Sakura Stardust pen.  Your mentioning ribbon gave me an idea. 

I started to make a list of different ideas, but I'm afraid that might actually limit your own ideas.  We can share more ideas as the week progresses.

You can make this a Clean and Simple card or as elaborate as you like.  Most of all, just have fun.

Daria

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 01:51:36 PM »
I did this one with the warm up paper
I die cut a hot air balloon, backed it with glitter paper.  I used marker to put pattern on it.
Stamped words and more balloons, added rickrack, and small foam balloon.
I put in gallery, but still can't figure how to make the link with an iPad, that is what I use.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 01:54:22 PM by Yankee »
Born on the fourth of July

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 03:37:31 PM »
Yankee, congratulations on being the first to post to this challenge.  That warm-up background piece makes a wonderful sky, and your hot air balloon looks great.  I'm imagining it with the sparkly glitter that we can't see in the photo. 

Here's a link to Yankee's Card

Daria

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 03:44:07 PM »
I looked at the directions and I hope the card I made qualifies.  I used the negative space of the die cut to make a shaker card.

Thanks for Looking.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 08:00:26 PM »
Sadie, it absolute does qualify.  You used a negative die beautifully.  This makes a great Valentine.  Thank you for playing. 
Daria

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 10:01:58 PM »
I'm on a roll! I combined my negative with Nerd's 3 & 1 challenge.

My negative is the leftover outline of the gears die I used for the warm-up-layers card. And I ran it thru an EF & swiped with ink to tweak it.
Daniel

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 08:24:19 AM »
Very cool, Daniel!  I like what you did with the negative gears die-cut.  The embossing and inking and the swirl stamping in the background all add energy and movement to your card.

Did you get a new scanner?   O0

Daria