Author Topic: INK17 Double Take ***** Winner Announced *****  (Read 6259 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
INK17 Double Take ***** Winner Announced *****
« on: October 14, 2017, 12:07:46 AM »
                    Inktoberfest '17 Double Take (INK17DT)

My challenge is for you to use mirror image stamping or reflection stamping on a card or tag or any finished piece. 

A classic example of reflection stamping is using Stampin Up's "Lovely as a Tree" stamp set to create a reflection of the line of trees in a pond.  There are many youtube videos showing this technique.  Here is one way using acetate.

In the following video a cello bag is used to get a mirror image of a goose.  She also uses masking to get a whole line of geese, but that is up to you.  You need at least one original image and one mirror (or reflected) image in your finished piece.
Mirror Image Wetlands Geese.

You don't need to create an entire scene.  Jennifer McGuire shows how to use a stamp positioner to create mirror image critters.  I believe she also links to an earlier video done without a stamp positioner.

Earlier this week I came across a rather unique reflection card using a reflected sentiment.  That is allowed for this challenge as well.  You can reflect a sentiment stamp rather than an image if you wish.

Some people use cello bags or plastic packaging to create the mirror image.  There are solid rubber stamps made for making mirror images.  Jennifer McGuire used a solid polymer stamp to get her mirror image, or she also suggests you can use the back side of a mostly solid polymer stamp.  There are multiple ways to get it done!  France Martin demonstrates how to use packing tape in this video.  She also makes the suggestion that you might want to use a lighter ink color in the case of a reflected image.

So use what you have.  Post a picture of your finished project in the Inktoberfest 2017 Gallery album and leave a link to it here.   Please tell us how it went!  Which method did you use to get a mirrored or reflected image?  Successes, failures, woulda coulda shoulda's!  Use the Key Word INK17DT when you post in the gallery to make your project easy to find in a search.

Have fun!  You can mix this with another challenge if the other hosts allow.  There will be a small RAK for a randomly drawn participant.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:41:48 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: INK17 Double Take
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 07:37:27 AM »
After having seen your post earlier this week about the reflected image, I kindof hoped you would do something like this for you challenge! I will be very happy to give this a try. I am not sure that I have tried the reflection technique more than once or twice!
Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 07:46:54 AM »
I'm glad you like it Heidi!  Sometimes I can't think of any challenge.  This time I couldn't decide on two or three different ideas.  This one used the most actual stamping.  I think I've only tried it maybe twice also, a long time ago.  I'm anxious to try some of the different methods I saw in the videos, and different inks too.  I would think an ink that doesn't dry very fast would be best but it seems in the videos they just used dye ink?

I will try to make some samples this weekend.  I have to be gone all morning, maybe this afternoon ...
Cindi

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 08:52:48 AM »
Yay! I actually have some items that work well for mirror stamping.
Yes cindi, dye inks work well--especially if you huff the ink to help moisten it before stamping the mirror image.
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 09:06:27 AM »
Oh what fun, I haven't used this technique in a long time...looking forward to it!  Thanks Cindi!

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 11:29:27 AM »
Oh I see a scene card in my future :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 01:19:47 PM »
I did one mirror-image piece. I'm still not able to get my phone to do a link, but hope you'll understand.
I like the way it turned out & hope to do more mirror pieces during INK17 .
It was fun, Cindi.
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »
I have not done this technique in a long time. I will enjoy this. Daniel,I am going over to look at your card!

April :smile:

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 03:40:00 PM »
Did another quick one. Cut the puddle opening & mirrored on blue CS. Fun
Daniel

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 08:21:41 PM »
Here are links to Daniel's cards.
Through a mirror clearly
and
no poodle in the puddle.

Thanks Daniel!  I like your titles as much as your creations!  I left comments in the gallery.
Cindi

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 11:11:33 AM »
Thanks for this wonderful challenge.  It pulled me out of my comfort zone and was easier than I thought.

I used Lovely as a Tree because it lends itself for this technique.  Plus, it is one of my first stamp sets and I've only used it twice. 

You can see my card here:

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3611#top_display_media
Beth

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 11:25:04 AM »
Beth, I'm so glad you gave this technique a try!  Thank you.  Your card will certainly cheer your friend.
Cindi

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 02:45:48 PM »
Great job Beth.
I decided to tackle another mirror card. I explained what I did in the gallery. A bit time-consuming, but fun to do.
Daniel

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 04:14:43 PM »
Thanks for the gallery comment, Cindi. LOL on calling it a flock of crows. That's the common term for any group of like birds. But as all of us already know, a group of crows is also referred to as a 'murder'. Watching Jeopardy is a great way to learn lots of useful  ??? Information  ::)
Daniel

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 09:28:32 PM »
Oooh, "murder" he wrote!
Cindi