Author Topic: Inktoberfest Chat Topics  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: Inktoberfest Chat Topics
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 10:00:01 AM »
Connie, I haven't heard of the Greetery ... I hope she does well.

I'm a fan of Oxide inks too, but I have so many regular distress inks, I don't really have room for more.  I do love how the oxides stamp. 

I would like to do more foiling.  I bought a cheap laminator and I have some foils and adhesives and toner.  Need to pick a day and play with them more.  I don't plan to buy the hot foil plates or quill.  The foil quill that goes in the cutting machines looks cool ... but I'm holding off.  I just threw away the horrible WeR foiling pen and stencils I never used.  I tried it again and couldn't get a nice result.  Now they have a new hand held pen.  I think I'll pass.

Hmmm, I can't think of any new companies.  A video that recently caught my eye was Lisa Yang from Local King rubber stamps.  They have new stamps coming out with 2 dies.  A very detailed, closely trimmed die and another that leaves a border.  She's promoting a butterfly and I think 9 flower sets.  She's showing new blending foams (magic mushrooms) that make the images quick to color and then cut with the detailed die.  I do like the idea of not having to have the white border around the die cuts.  The dewy background stamp in the video really catches my eye! 
Cindi

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 10:54:31 AM »
I really don’t do trends, mostly cause they evolve money I don’t have.
I watch all the utube about them, but still don’t buy them.
I love to stamp, and like to cut out items.  I think most dies are silly, plus I don’t like that white border they leave.  I end up trimming that border off.  Although I made seven ATCs each having three or four cut out pine trees on them.  I did find myself thinking when I was almost finished that a die would have been nice.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 03:06:51 PM »
I will have to look up the Greetery and also see what Lisa Yang is doing. I love her company!

April :smile:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 03:57:18 PM »
I have seen the Greetery.  They have a cute layering bird stamp set I like and a layering knit stencil that I really really want!

And Club Scrap only has unmounted sheet stamps but they have some unique sentiments and themes. 

The Local King Rubber company is one I have browsed before, but also hasn’t purchased.  That is interesting they are doing the two dies.

I have come to terms with the white edge around most stamps with the dies.  I think when they are all cut that way it looks pretty good. 

I love all of the Hero Arts “From the Vault” re-released stamps. I like the older styles. I also work for I Brake for Stamps, but I still really appreciate that they carry all these older style stamps. It gives more variety to the industry and I think most of them are not all that dated, depending on how you use them.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 08:15:16 PM »
Yes, I think there's room for all stamp companies.  It would be a shame to only have one style, cute, for example.  I just saw a "from the vault" stamp online ... I'll have to look to see what else Hero Arts has brought back.  I Brake for Stamps has a nice variety.  And now I need to go look at the Greetery too! 

Has anyone seen black watercolor paper before?  Kristina Werner used it in her Christmas series video today.  I have a set of pearlescent watercolors, not metallic.  I don't know if it's worth investing in black watercolor paper.
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 09:26:49 PM »
I don't think I have seen black watercolor paper, Tim holtz came out with that black paper for Alcohol inks.  I don't know that I would use it much.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 11:27:43 PM »
Several of my inks /paints dried out and most can not be revived. The expired inks/paints were mostly with specialty paints/ink whose companies have closed. I am not buying very much until I get a grip on what I really need.  But I am totally amazed at what feels like every stamp company is now selling some lines of ink that are unique to their company.

Some of the new products I like so far...the new dome blending tools from Scrapbook.com  The foam domes seem to do a nice blending so far.   I definitely love the oxide inks...is anyone using the oxide sprays??  I still have the dylusion distress sprays.  The alcohol pearls are okay but I still have only seen a couple cards posted with them.  Oh my, I just watched Jennifer McGuire's video from yesterday and she showed several ways to use the oxide sprays...perhaps I need to reconsider lol :smile:

I also watched a Scrapbook.com video (not one of their video classes) titled: The Best Tips and Tricks for crafters using stencils.  The presenter is excellent.She also made 2 more stencil videos that are great.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2019, 06:24:55 AM »
Jan, I will need to check that Scrapbook.com video.  Sprays are so neat, but I have not really gotten into them mostly due to the fact that my room has carpet and I am afraid of making a huge mess.  I think April may have the Oxide sprays?  The dylusion sprays I have seen in videos and they have such great vibrant colors.

I am sorry many of your inks dried up.  I have a few pigment inks that have, but most of the others are lasting a long time.  I know the stamp companies are making their own ink colors to get a new revenue source but it is overwhelming.  And several companies seem to be coming out with inks that behave a lot like distress inks. I think Hero Arts is and Colorbox did (before they went out of business.)

We have a new, closer (but not very close) Hobby Lobby and I was going to go there sometime to see if they had the alcohol pearls.  I would get a few to try but I just haven’t come across them anywhere I usually shop. 

I have not seen the black watercolor paper, or I possibly didn’t realize what I was looking at.  I have missed most of Kristina Werners holiday cards so far.  Is there a difference between pearlescent watercolor and metallic? I don’t have either.  I do have metallic watercolor pencils but don’t use them often.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:26:42 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2019, 09:42:05 AM »
The black watercolor paper sounds intriguing! I have a lot to look at, with jennifer McGuire's video and the others mentioned. Will need to spend time today to look at all these plus the companies mentioned. I have the black card stock from Tim Holtz. I feels velvety and works great with the Pearl alcohol inks. The only thing about the pearl inks is that they do not blend out as well as the regular alcohol inks. I found that putting them on your craft mat, spritzing them well with alcohol and then swiping your glossy card stock through them works much better.

I do have some of the oxide sprays and I like them. They blend real well and they cover an area well. I will post some cards below that I made using them.

April

On the cards below I used flower dies and adhered them to watercolor paper. I sprayed over them with 2 colors of oxide sprays. This added texture and bright color to the backgrounds.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 09:43:56 AM by stampwilly »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2019, 09:43:17 AM »
When I was trying to do some layered stamping I dragged out quite a few of my old pigment inks and they had dried up, cleared out some room in that drawer for me :)
I like to find the packs where all the colors should go together.

Heidi, I am thinking I found my pearl inks at Hobby Lobby.

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2019, 09:45:07 AM »
Well, Connie, you and I posted about the same time. I did get my Pearl inks from Hobby Lobby and the oxide sprays too.

April

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2019, 10:03:32 AM »
 April, those cards are very pretty!  That is a neat technique!  Were the flower die cuts on regular cardstock or watercolor paper?

~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
April, your sprayed cards are so vibrant and pretty!  Hmmm, I've been resisting oxide sprays, because I never use my Dylusions sprays ... I think I just resist spraying in general because I will probably make a mess.  I don't want to spray my hair either, ha!  My stylist uses a keratin spray that helps keep away the frizz, but I haven't bought it because I know I won't want to spray it around my bathroom.  Easier for me to use a gel or lotion type conditioner.

I looked a little bit at The Greetery!  I remember Betsy Veldman!  I think I used to follow her blog.  I like her style.  The knit stencils are pretty cool.  I didn't get through the whole shop but it looks very nice.

Jan, I bet the "magic mushroom" blenders that Local King sells are pretty similar to the domed blenders at Scrapbook.com.

April, I feel like I have a lot of surfing to do too!  I need to see the stencil videos, and Jennifer's oxide spray post.

Sorry about dried up inks.  I was looking at my old Colorbox chalk inks thinking I should test them out.  I used to love them, but now I use oxides more.  Remember when "chestnut roan" was a thing?  Kristina Werner used it all the time.  It was a Colorbox chalk ink that is a nice brown.  I have it in 2 sizes, ha!  When I looked at Hero Arts "from the vault" (they have a nice Summer 2019 catalog to view online that has a great history, by decade and theme) .  It mentioned how there were only a few colors of ink, in the 80's I think?  Black, blue, red ... maybe green?  I remember always stamping in black or trying to color the stamp with markers to get different colors ... that never worked that well for me, but then who knows what kind of markers I used.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 10:49:14 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2019, 11:06:19 AM »
Chestnut Roan was a lovely color of brown.  Didn’t have any weird undertone, wasn’t too light or too dark.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2019, 10:44:37 AM »
I want to buy some of that Pixie Spray that is a temporary adhesive for your stencils.

Heidi, at one of the Expos, the gentleman from Stamplistic told me he uses 404 Ruler Grip Adhesive, made by Odif.  It's sold with the sewing and quilting supplies so you might find it locally, and with a coupon.  I think I got mine at Hobby Lobby.  On the can it says also used for stencils.  I used it today and I was happy with it.  I adhered stencils to watercolor paper and sprayed with Dylusions spray and was able to get crisp lines.

Jan, I did find the stencil video and it is very good, and I do like the person who did the demo.

What is everyone working on today?

I think I'm working on making and cleaning up messes!  As I mentioned above, I was using Dylusions sprays ... I took it outside on our patio.  I managed to overspray and got the table, even though I was working on a large newsprint pad.  I should have covered the whole table, or sprayed in to a box (I don't have very good luck with that either).  Oh well, the table has a white top, is very old, and already has mildew stains ... so what's a little pink paint?  I tried bathroom cleaner and Bar Keepers Friend.  Eventually I'll try bleach.  So, then I came inside and I was mixing some iridescent watercolor medium with water in a small spray bottle.  I hit the bottle with my arm and it went down the front of the wood cabinets and on to the wood floor!  I wiped it up quick and so far haven't seen any evidence, or iridescence!  Ugh!  All that for two spritzes and then my bottle seized up.  This is why I don't own oxide sprays.  I'm  very hesitant to buy more spray!  All that to say ... I'm working on Jan's Take A Look challenge.  Stenciled pieces are made ... I'll have to make a card from one later.  Lots to do this afternoon.

How about you?  Any crafty time today?  What are you working on?
Cindi