Author Topic: SF18 Bubble. WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!  (Read 3886 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
SF18 Bubble. WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!
« on: July 01, 2018, 02:27:42 PM »
For this challenge, I would like you to use a fun background technique and make bubble art.  I first saw this on a video that was shared by a friend on facebook.  I can’t seem to link that video, but I have found some others.

Here is a snapshot of some backgrounds I made with blue and green acrylic paint.  http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4048#top_display_media

You will need dish soap, acrylic paint or intense watercolor liquid, maybe reinker would work too.  I used regular card stock, but you may wish to use watercolor or mixed media paper.

1) Mix about equal parts paint and water in a paper bowl or cup.  Add a squirt of dish soap.
2) Use a straw and blow bubbles so that the bubbles are above the top of your container.
3) This is where you can do it two ways.  Either Place your card stock over top of the bubbles and gently swipe it across the bubbles.  OR, use your paper to quickly swipe through the bubbles so that they are now on top of the paper.  Then you would pop the bubbles yourself. 

When I tried it, I thought of two tips.  First, you do need to use quite a bit of paint and just thin it with water.  Second, I found the darker colors worked better.  I imagine it will take experimentation.

This has the potential to be messy.  You may want to use a disposable cup or bowl and do it outside or in the kitchen where it is easier to clean up.

1 point for making backgrounds and another point for each finished project.  Projects can be anything you choose, not just cards.  You may combine with anything except my other challenge!!

Process vidoes:
https://youtu.be/yVOCt5b1sPM

https://youtu.be/VAcreXA5RrQ

All questions and comments or tips can be shared in this thread!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:45:52 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Re: SF18 Bubble
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 10:05:42 AM »
How neat, I like the one where the girl did a few different colors layered onto of one another

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 10:17:02 AM »
Looks like a fun way to get a bit of our inner kindergartner out! 
I can't help but wonder if the person in the first video covered her shirt in paint splatters after popping all of those bubbles!?
Love the excitement of the girl, Sakurem, in the second video.  I'll have to give this a try, but I'm definitely not going to wear a favorite shirt, ha!
Thanks for the challenge.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 12:06:19 PM »
Yes, definitely could be a messy one, I don’t know if I have seen anyone do stamping with this kind of background before, have you?
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 12:42:52 PM »
I have done this with reinkers before and it is not real messy. It is fun! Can't wait to try with acrylic paints. I have used some of my bubble backgrounds for a beach or sea themed card.

April :smile:

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 10:15:29 AM »
Oh how wonderful it was to play with bubbles once again!  I filled my kitchen counters with the fun results! 
Links:
Bubble backgrounds Bubble backgrounds
Bubble card  Bubble card

Thanks so much for the fun Heidi!
...Jan

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 10:42:45 AM »
Oh how wonderful it was to play with bubbles once again!  I filled my kitchen counters with the fun results! 
Links:
Bubble backgrounds Bubble backgrounds
Bubble card  Bubble card

Thanks so much for the fun Heidi!
...Jan

Wonderful card, Jan, I am glad you tried the reinkers and even added gold!  They look great! 

You mentioned that you had too many backgrounds the last time you tried this.  One thing I saw on the facebook video was that they used large pieces of paper to decorate with bubbles and then made envelopes out of them.  Another idea of how to use it!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 09:48:50 AM »
Heidi, is this the facebook video?
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 10:01:06 AM »
Heidi, is this the facebook video?

Yes, that is it!  Thanks for sharing!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 12:37:55 PM »
You're welcome!

I blew bubbles all morning!  These backgrounds are kind of addictive.  I used copy paper, watercolor paper and some of the Neenah Metallic finish white gold. 

My first attempt was somewhat disappointing.  I used good paint.  Golden Pyrrole red, which is nice and bright, but it looks really dull on my watercolor paper.  Maybe because the paper isn't a bright white?  Maybe because I mixed in blue dish soap?  ??? I don't think it was the soap, because in the bowl it looked nice and bright.  Nope, wasn't just the paper, because I just got up and checked and I did make one sheet of copy paper and the red is a little brighter, kind of pinkish, but still not red. Hmmm

So, next I tried craft acrylic Delta Ceramcoat Ultra Blue.  It's a little dull too, but not bad.  So, in my head I'm thinking ... when these are dry, maybe I will spritz them with some kind of shimmer spritz ... Aha!  Then I see that I have Lumiere Light Body Acrylic paint in Pearl Turquoise.  The shimmer is already in the paint.  Yay!  I added shimmery turquoise bubbles to my Ultra Blue bubble prints and did one sheet on it's own.  It adds so much shimmer!  The color itself is very light, but I'm kind of loving it!  The one sheet of watercolor paper I did with Turquoise only looks ethereal, like it could be used for clouds.  I hope I can get a good picture.

My next thought was, what if the shimmer is already on the paper?  So I used some of the Neenah Metallic finish white gold I just bought at Tuesday Morning (you might also find it at Office Depot).  I mixed Delta Jubilee Green paint with water and soap.  It's nice and bright and pretty on the shimmer paper.  Hmmm, but maybe it would look nice with blue added ... so I mixed up another bowl of blue and added a little of the green and blew more bubbles! 

This could go on all day!  Now I'm wondering how the red would look on Neenah Metallic??  Too late.  I'm already cleaned up.  I'll have to save that experiment for another time.

I felt I had the best results when I blew a big pile of bubbles and rather aggressively swiped paper through it, then let it sit a minute so the bubbles could burst on their own.  When I tried to press the paper to the top of the bubbles it was very, very light.  Of course, when I swiped through the bubbles, sometimes I sent some flying in to the air!  That was ok though (as long as you catch them before they fall somewhere you don't want paint) because I would try to catch them on the part of the paper that needed more bubble print.

I had lots of fun!  Thanks for the challenge.  This afternoon I need to do some errands  :( but I hope to make something with my bubble prints soon.  Thanks for the challenge!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:40:23 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 12:46:03 PM »
This is absolutely wonderful feedback on the technique, Cindi!  I am thrilled that you were able to experiment so much and share with us!  I love the idea of a shimmer paint!!  I would like to try that sometime!! 

Can’t wait to see how you finish off one of your backgrounds!!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 09:30:11 PM »
Cindi, oh how fun to hear there is a new stamper addicted to bubbles.  Another fun thing to do is as you when flip over your paper with some bubbles attached, at times there are some attached to other bubbles but not attached to the paper. Then the games begin--try to see how many  you can now attached to a clear area of the paper-yes, fingers may be used.  Have fun!

Heidi, I was pleased to read about using bubble paper to make envelopes.  I made envelopes for years from recycling large photo calendars from the previous years but now many formats make it difficult.  I am going to check-out what paper will work well for this technique.  Thanks for sharing Heidi!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:33:12 PM by Far North »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 03:02:31 PM »
Here is my entry. This was fun! This was the first time I had used acrylic paint. They worked well. Before, I had used reinkers. I got good results from both mediums. A picture of my 4 backgrounds are below.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4085#top_display_media

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 05:11:06 PM »
Here is my entry. This was fun! This was the first time I had used acrylic paint. They worked well. Before, I had used reinkers. I got good results from both mediums. A picture of my 4 backgrounds are below.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4085#top_display_media

You did get great results!  Thanks so much for playing!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 01:54:00 PM »
I made 4 backgrounds, was trying for a sunset feel but not sure I achieved that so ended up going with the one with not so much red tones in it.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4090#top_display_media

Here are my finished backgrounds