Author Topic: Paper Towel Stamping -- WINNER ANNOUNCED  (Read 13216 times)

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
Re: Paper Towel Stamping
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »
I am not having good luck with this challenge. My paper towels have cool shapes on them, but my only stamp pad with different colors is kind of small and I think that's causing my issues. I will keep trying though!

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 08:28:13 PM »
SWLady - I think Sadie used a couple of different distress ink pads instead of a single multi-colored pad.
Sarah

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 11:56:15 PM »
 ??? I struggled with this tonight!  I only have one of Dyan Reavely's blank large ink pads ... so I filled it with spray ink, but I don't know ... the paper towel soaks up a lot of ink, and then when I try again, it's as if there is no ink!  And my paper towels are very absorbant, but not very decorative! 

I also experimented with my normal sized Kaleidacolor pads (I think they are on the dry side) and I tried my paper napkins, as they have a shell border.

Hmmm, maybe something will look usable in the morning!  I'll see what I can do.  Definitely a challenge!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 08:55:56 AM »
I am not having good luck with this challenge. My paper towels have cool shapes on them, but my only stamp pad with different colors is kind of small and I think that's causing my issues. I will keep trying though!

Yes, I had a similar problem.  I applied three different colors of ink pad to the paper towel by swiping it on top of the paper towel.  It worked much better for me not only to get multi color, but also because then the paper towel didn't absorb too much ink in the part that was designed.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 10:19:53 AM »
A long time ago (I believe pre-Cuttlebug days) we had a 2pea event challenge in which we had to adhere some paper towel for dimension and texture to our card.  I recall splitting the paper towel and using the inside top layer which is raised embossed and inking it.  We achieved a lot of good results.  I wonder if 1 layer would be more effective here.

Heidi did you brayer the ink onto the paper towel to control how much was going on?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 10:22:45 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 10:26:10 AM »
A long time ago (I believe pre-Cuttlebug days) we had a 2pea event challenge in which we had to adhere some paper towel for dimension and texture to our card.  I recall splitting the paper towel and using the inside top layer which is raised embossed and inking it.  We achieved a lot of good results.  I wonder if 1 layer would be more effective here.

Heidi did you brayer the ink onto the paper towel to control how much was going on?

Interesting thought about just using one ply, that might work!

And, yes, I did try stampwilly's technique as presented several times with several different pressures.  The paper towel just soaked the ink into the little indentations no matter what when I did it that way and therefore it did not transfer the pattern.  It may vary from brand to brand though. 

~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 02:42:02 PM »
I am sorry to hear ya'll are having problems. I think my paper towels were the Sparkle brand. Bounty and Viva may absorb too much. You may certainly try other ways to get this to work! :-\ My paper towel was folded about 4 times.  Maybe brayering over the towel with ink will be better. Thanks for trying everyone!

Stampwilly

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 04:32:25 PM »
I am figuring out that if I roll over the paper towel a few times that it flattens the design and kinda changes it…that could be a good or bad thing I guess depending on your paper towel. 

Right now I am rethinking my paper towel stamping I did.  The largest ink pad I have is 3"x 2" and then the distress ones are 2x2 so originally  I was thinking I had to make a project with that size in mind, but after seeing Sadie's project then I'm going back to the drawing board and ink up more of my paper towel--yeah!!   :D

~~Melissa :)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 07:57:36 PM »
Well, here's the best I could do!  My paper towels are Viva, and they absorbed a lot of ink, but I did get some texture out of them.  I attached a photo of my pt printed paper, trimmed down to ATC size.

Here is the fall tag I made.

At least I got a bonus tag from my spray ink mess!  I went through quite a few paper towels last night!  Thanks for the challenge Stampwilly.  I tried something new that I would never have thought to do!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 08:42:31 PM »
I like your tag and your background is really pretty!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 09:50:22 PM »
Cindi, your background turned out very pretty. Thanks for trying my challenge! :smile:

Stampwilly

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 10:46:49 AM »
SWLady - I think Sadie used a couple of different distress ink pads instead of a single multi-colored pad.

Actually I squished the distress ink into my craft mat, sprayed water onto the ink, sprayed water onto the paper towel, then put the paper towel into the ink, then sprayed more water on the inked paper towel, sprayed water on the paper, and then more water onto the inked paper towel before I could get it to stamp.  The paper towel was soaking wet when I was done but I got a stamp out of it.  My brand was bounty and it soaked up a whole bunch of ink and water before it would stamp.  I think the trick is to get it wet enough that there is moisture to stamp with, cause you know paper towels are made to soak up moisture not put it down.....LOL
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 11:28:02 AM »
I have a completed card for this. I did experiment with a couple different inks. I got the better results from my brilliance ink pads. I think the juicier the pad might be better?
I also couldn't find my brayer so I used my sons playdoh dough roller ;D.
Sadie, I'm gonna try what you did with the distress inks.

My paper towel I used was Kroger(local grocery store) brand.

I have these napkins with flowers embossed in them that I really want to work!

I will get my card uploaded in a bit.
LeighAnn

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »
I LOVE to read about everyone's attempts to stamp with paper towel..."true creatives at work"  :smitten:

For my 5 minutes of inky playtime I used Brawny towels that are perforated into smaller sections to use as needed. I made a pad of 6 stacked A2 sized towels.  Brayered over the stack onto my Ranger Big and Juicy inkpad.  Then laid stack on moistened cardstock and brayered.  I was very pleased with my 1st result.  With the excess ink on the paper towel I put it directly on another piece of A2 cardstock (not wet).

To view my photo below in a larger format click the file name.

Continued in next post...Jan

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 12:52:05 PM »
(Continue from previous post)
So much ink was in my paper towel I then inked another entire sheet of cardstock.  The towel flipped around and folded on itself at times adding dimensional fold markings on my 1st layer of my soon to be masterboard.  I also left the paper towel dry so I can use it in my future cards.

Thanks for the fun inky playtime April!...Jan
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:53:52 PM by Far North »