Author Topic: Mono Sand Eraser & Paper Trimmers  (Read 3393 times)

Offline djc

• Stampers
Mono Sand Eraser & Paper Trimmers
« on: August 27, 2016, 01:41:06 PM »
I feel like the little boy who said that the emperor wasn't wearing any clothes.  In videos, I've seen a few people say that they used and liked the Mono Sand Eraser.  It sounded like a great idea to me so I bought one.  Unless there is some trick that I do not know about, it does not work at all.  I've tried to erase pen marks and ink marks.  It doesn't do anything at all.  This morning, I tried to erase a dot that I had put over an e instead of the nearby i.  Nothing. 

Has anyone else tried this eraser?

Daria
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 05:04:12 PM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Mono Sand Eraser
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 06:04:38 PM »
I am glad you started this thread. I have been wondering about that product.  I have been using my white Prismacolor eraser for similar things and I have had some luck with it.  For example, today I got a tiny smudge of black Versafine ink on some white cardstock  and I used that eraser and it came off!

Also, my Fiskars trimmer needs a new blade (it seems like it always does) and I tried the eraser to smooth out the slightly frayed edge and it seemed to work for that too.
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 07:32:23 PM »
I wonder if the Sanford's Prismacolor Magic Rub Eraser is the same thing as the Staedtler Mars Plastic Eraser.  I use the Staedtler for just about everything.  I also have an electric eraser that works great when I use color pencils.  It has a white eraser that seems to be the same thing as the other white plastic erasers.

Daria

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 02:30:42 AM »
I love my Standford Magic Rub white eraser and therefore have not explored other options.  However on occasions I have used white a Signo pen to cover up a stray dot.  Other times if it is not a part of a sentiment I ignore it...after all most folks do not focus enough to catch it-at least that is what research studies say.

Heidi have you tried Fiskars titanium blades?  I find they cut cleaner and last considerably longer than the standard blades.  I would not consider returning to the standard blades. The cost is somewhat more but of course I use a coupon. 

Heidi as for your other comment "I tried the eraser to smooth out the slightly frayed edge and it seemed to work for that too" are you referring to the guide wire?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:04:21 AM by Far North »

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 06:53:17 PM »
I just found a good use for that sand eraser.  I bought an old ASITH stamp--solid image of a partridge in a pear tree.  It arrived today, and the rubber was slick--no give at all.  Sure enough.  It didn't stamp well.  I used the Mono sand eraser on it, and it stamped just fine.   :smitten:

Now, of course, I could have done the same thing with a sanding block, but it's nice to know I can use that eraser for something useful.

Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 09:09:34 PM »
Heidi have you tried Fiskars titanium blades?  I find they cut cleaner and last considerably longer than the standard blades.  I would not consider returning to the standard blades. The cost is somewhat more but of course I use a coupon. 

Heidi as for your other comment "I tried the eraser to smooth out the slightly frayed edge and it seemed to work for that too" are you referring to the guide wire?

I have tried the titanium blades and while they seem to last longer, they still seem to need to be replaced frequently. I have not written down dates, but maybe I should time how long they last.

I realize now that my comment about the frayed edge was unclear. I am talking about the frayed edge on the cardstock after it has been cut in the trimmer.  I run the eraser over that edge and it seems to smooth out the cardstock so the fraying is not very noticeable.

Daria, I bet the sand eraser does do a rather good job on a new rubber stamp. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 09:10:40 AM »
I not only bought a sand eraser, but I bought a few extra for stocking stuffers!  There was a 3 pack deal on Amazon.  I haven't used it much, but I'm pretty sure I did have good luck with it removing a smudge.  It was on a very smooth cardstock (if I remember correctly).  I wonder if the paper, and it's absorbency make a difference?  It's good to know there are other uses, stamps and paper edges, would not have thought of that! 

I still have a like/hate relationship with my Fiskars trimmer!!  Can't even say love/hate.  The only reason I still use it is I haven't found anything I like better.  I'm open to suggestions ...
I read somewhere there is a new fiskars trimmer that doesn't have the wire.  Has anyone seen or tried it?

I do love the Sanford Magic Rub eraser!!  In fact I like it so much, I have wrapped those up in the past and given them as part of a Christmas gift, usually with a note on it that it's my favorite eraser, just so the recipient doesn't think I'm completely nuts! (wow that was a run on sentence!)  I don't know if it's the same as the white Staedtler.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 09:16:50 AM »
Cindi, I have seen the new Fiskars trimmer in the craft stores, but I have been waiting to see if anyone tries it and has better luck with it than the old style.  I have a small guillotine trimmer too and I have been trying to use that as much as I can to minimize the frustrations with the Fiskars one.   :D

But the small one is hard to use for anything bigger than 4 or 5 inches.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 12:35:02 PM »
Daria, glad you found at least one use for your eraser!

Heidi, I sure hope Fiskars has not lowered the quality of their blades.  I bought a bulk package deal when then first changed over to titanium.  I wish I knew the name of the new trimmer without the wire. I agree the wires had many problems but I loved that feature of seeing the cutting line. I wonder if the type of blade for the new trimmer has been changed to improve the blade keeping it's sharpness for cutting paper. 

Tim Holtz has released a new Tonic paper trimmer.  The Tonic tools I purchased several years ago have held up well.  I haven't heard of other new trimmers in quite a while. 

I feel a quality trimmer is critically important to our craft---so I hope others share their experience too.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 12:56:03 PM »
Here is a link to the new Fiskars trimmer.

https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/product/Fiskars-REINFORCED-Paper-Trimmer-12-Inches-05266-05266F?gclid=Cj0KEQjwo5--BRCS8ceLjv-XppUBEiQAGp15EOB-QIyzaXbppFL8RuwzfPRxT4PSWSEFSRndDthKfbEaAnCA8P8HAQ

Honestly, although the guide bar does look better than a wire, the blades themselves look the same as the old ones and I wonder if I would still have the same issues with them dulling quickly and causing my paper to fray.  Maybe it is the combo of the guide wire and that blade, though.  I don't really like the idea of a large guillotine trimmer for my craft space (I store my trimmer in the tiny space that a keyboard should go in my repurposed computer armoire), but I have heard other people like the tonic one, too.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 03:08:09 PM »
Thanks Heidi for the link to the trimmer.  I did a few internet searches and found this comparison of the 2 trimmers. It was helpful for me...and thought perhaps others would like to see it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K28r1rsgzZY

And while I was looking I came across some folks that are not impressed with the scoring tool...I think the problem is that one cannot control the pressure for different paper weights as much when using a trimmer and it is not clear that both blades are on the bar for packaging purposes only.

To my surprise I also found this video about sharpening trimmer blades...never heard of this before and not sure my hands are steady enough not to cut myself :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN3Fb4SBarw
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:09:34 PM by Far North »

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 03:51:31 PM »
I hadn't seen that trimmer before.  Thanks for the info and the video.

My first trimmer was a Cutterpede.  It has a rotary blade and cuts great.  My pet peeve about it was that when you opened the arm, the measurement that I used most frequently was right where the hinge was so I couldn't see the mark.  Thanks to my son, I was able to get a Genesis for home use, and I love that--no complaints at all.  However, I'm keeping my eye out for a good, small trimmer to use away from home. 

My Cutterpede's arm broke so I bought a Fiskars.  Nora loves hers.  I didn't like the wire, the blade, the fact that I had to smooth the edges with a bone folder each and every time I cut something.  So I bought a Fiskars Rotary.  The packaging was taped up.  I should have known better than to buy it, but it was the only one so I took a chance that it was not defective merchandise just stuck back on the shelf.  No such luck.  It cut crookedly.  You could even see the crooked line it left in the mat below the blade.  I know I should have returned it so I can't complain too loudly.  I've heard that Fiskars has excellent customer service.  However, I'm bad at returning things and complaining about things so it sits in the craft room, unused.  I'm back to taking my broken Cutterpede when I stamp away from home.

Recently, Nora pulled out her old Boston guillotine trimmer that she's had for years thinking I might like it better than her beloved Fiskars.  Yeah!  It worked great!  I have one of those too, but I only use it for heavy materials like cardboard--stuff my Genesis wasn't made to cut.

I've had my eye on the Tonic guillotine, but I recently read something negative about it.  I don't remember what.

Daria
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:54:37 PM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Mono Sand Eraser & Paper Trimmers
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 06:05:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing the videos!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 02:31:02 AM »
My experience of working through a problem with a Fiskars lifetime warranty product is simple, friendly and one of the best. They do not require receipts rather only a photo of the product showing what is wrong. You can talk through the issue with a customer service representative or fill-out the warranty form linked to the description of your product. My only problem has been the lengthy wait for a replacement to arrive but at least I then have a back-up. 

This is a link to Fiskars page of paper trimmers.  The wire trimmers are very near the bottom of the page and the warranty link is with the details of each trimmer.

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 09:51:40 AM »
I have a Fiskar rotary trimmer and I love it.  It has the aluminum bar like on the new rail trimmer.  And I bought it mainly because you can change out the type of blade you use.  I have a scallop. deckle, pinking and perforating blade.  But I think they may had discontinued everything except the scallop blade. 
Sarah