Author Topic: AIR16: Nighty Night Challenge -- WINNER ANNOUNCED  (Read 8975 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: AIR16: Nighty Night Challenge -- WINNER ANNOUNCED
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 12:41:11 PM »
Congrats Kathy!  So fun you got some time to play between all your adventures!

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 02:09:14 PM »
Congrats, Kathy.

Thanks for hosting, Daria.  I always love learning a new technique.
Sarah

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 02:12:03 PM »
Congratulations Kathy! 
Thanks again Daria!  Great idea to die cut any not so perfect specimens!
Cindi

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2016, 02:31:46 PM »
Thank you Daria! Thanks for hosting too, this was a fun challenge. I am sending my address!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2016, 05:05:34 PM »
Congrats, Kathy! 

Thank you Daria, for the fun challenge!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2016, 05:41:47 PM »
Congrats, Kathy! :smile:

April

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2016, 10:42:08 AM »
I received my package yesterday. It is so cute! And I love the stencils! I will be using those soon. Thanks so much! I love it!

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2016, 07:24:42 AM »
I did another challenge, I have always wanted to try this since I saw Gina do it but never did give it a try. I used a transparency sheet for this technique, not sure I like how close the lines are but when I tried them farther apart that didn't look right either, this was the first one I did, the brown is the second, it was fun though and I colored the flower from the same distress ink onto watercolor paper, the dragonfly stamp cut out well too.
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2797#top_display_media

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2016, 09:36:29 AM »
That is great that you took the time to do this challenge, Connie.  It looks great!
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2016, 11:02:16 AM »
Kathy, I'm so glad you got your package.  I haven't checked this thread since the end of the challenge so I just saw this now that Connie posted another pillow-top card and put AIR16 in the subject line.  I was getting worried that you might not have received it.  The two white "stencils" are actually die cuts meant to be used as card fronts.  Try putting some pretty paper or inked or watercolored paper behind the openings.  I find that the more variation in color and the brighter the color, the better.  They can also be used as stencils.  Maybe I should have sent more!  I confess that I liked that stamp set so much, I bought one for me too!  It'll be fun to see what you come up with when using it.  (Hmmm.  Did that stamp set come with a stencil?  I think it did.  Maybe that's the stencil you're talking about.)

Connie, I love your backgrounds and card.  It was fun to see that someone was still working on this technique.  Like you, I found I liked the effect best with lines that were not too far apart.  I settled on a half inch space between them.  I also am now using a glass mat that has grid lines on it.  That way, I can temporarily attach the cardstock to the mat so that the opposite corners line up with the same grid line and just move the piece of plastic.  I mentioned this to Cindi, and she suggested putting the grid paper in a page protector if you didn't have a glass mat.  Great idea!  The hardest part for me was to use a light hand.  No pressure.  I tapped the ink onto the plastic along the edge and then very lightly transferred it to the cardstock.  I had to keep reminding myself to go slowly and not to press down.  It worked better to just go over it a couple of times instead of pressing down to apply ink.  I had great luck using Memories Inks Made for Hero Arts Shadow Stamps.  Yep, that's what they were called.  The colors are soft.  The nice thing about this technique is you can make it what you want, whatever suits the mood of your card--pastel, soft, bright, vivid; serene or wild. 

Oh, one more thing.  My rejects, even the worse one, looked great when die-cut with an intricate die.  I used a sentiment die.

I think I'll add these final tips to the original thread in case anyone checks it out to learn the technique.

Thanks for playing.
Daria

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2016, 12:33:36 PM »
Such Great ideas, and yes I think I went a little heavy on the inking, will have to try to go a little lighter next time and see if I like those results :) Great challenge!

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2016, 06:41:36 PM »
Connie, I thought that when I first saw your background pieces; but when I saw the card, I thought that background worked perfectly just the way it was.  That's what I like about this technique, and why it's fun to look at peoples' background pieces and see what they look like on a card.

Do you remember my very old Serendipity Challenge?  Some of those full sheets looked pretty weird, and then they made up into the most gorgeous cards!  I was amazed over and over again. 

Daria