Author Topic: Shadow Backgrounds -- Winners Announced  (Read 2407 times)

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Shadow Backgrounds -- Winners Announced
« on: October 26, 2018, 08:31:55 PM »
Are you ready to do some stamping :)

I saw this video over at Papertrey ink, and thought it was very pretty. https://blog.papertreyink.com/2018/07/make-it-monday-328-creating-shadow-backgrounds/#comment-628082

She had coordinating stamps but I don't care if your background stamping matches the stamps you use as your focal, I would just like to see some background stamping and then a focal stamp used.

When posting you can use IF 2018 SB and please come back here to link it, I will be sending out a package to a random participant.

I do not have a card made yet with this technique, just decided last night :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:31:13 AM by Conniecrafter »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Shadow Backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 08:51:39 AM »
Those are really pretty!  Will definitely play along!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 11:20:04 AM »
Looks like a nicely simple challenge--have to see what I can do...
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 11:58:42 AM »
The cards are so pretty. I can't wait to try the technique.

April :smile:

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 01:33:26 PM »
Pretty cards!  I looked at some of those that people linked to the Make It Monday challenge.

I learned something new already, and I haven't started your challenge yet.  Am I the last person to find this tip?   I watched the video, and had to zoom in to figure out what that green grid was in her Misti!  It says "StandardGrip".  After googling around, I find that people are cutting up Cricut mats (or Silhouette or Sizzix eclips mats) to fit their Misti.  Holds die cuts in place without magnets!  Who'd a thunk it?  I don't have a Misti, I have a discontinued WeR stamp positioner and it doesn't use a magnet system, so sometimes I'm taping paper in place ... I have a Cricut mat I bought to try in my Silhouette, but never used, decided it was too much trouble and I've been sticking to Silhouette mats.  Now I have a use for it.  Cut it up!  Do any of you use electronic cutting machine mats in your stamp positioners?  Do you like it?

Thanks for the challenge Connie!
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 02:56:52 PM »
That is a great tip, Cindi! I will have to try it.

April

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 08:18:25 PM »
I don’t have a cricut mat, but I do have one of those slipat baking mats. I wonder if that would work....
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 09:10:29 PM »
she mentions in the video that she cut up her cricut mat for it, I do have an old one but haven't tried it yet, you would probably have to make sure it isn't too sticky or it will warp your card a bit, did you see when she took it off the mat she had to straighten her card out a bit.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 10:44:28 AM »
 :idiot2: Oops!  I fast forwarded through some of her fiddling around with the little flowers and missed the part where she mentioned the Cricut mat!  That will teach me!  I went back and watched again ...

You're right, Connie.  You might not want a brand new mat or at least de-stickify it a bit.  I stick new Silhouette mats to my shirt a few times so they aren't so sticky.
Cindi

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 04:04:06 PM »
I masked off a section of the white paper.  Stamped lots of little leaf stamps. 
Stamped three larger leaves on alcohol ink background, embossed in gold, cut out and pop dotted.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 11:48:21 PM »
I really like your card, Yankee!

Connie,
I adhered a cut up Cricut mat to my stamp positioner with a few strips of poster tape.  It worked great for mass producing stamped tags.  I posted a picture at the end of my challenge, here.  It was really sticky, because it was a brand new mat, but I stuck it to my tee shirt a few times to lessen the stick.  The tags warped a little bit when I peeled them off, but not severely.  It was way worth it for quick placement of tags for stamping multiples.  I can always press them flat under a dictionary, but they really aren't that bad.  It would work well in a misti when you don't have room for magnets.  I gave my mom and sister the same stamp positioners as gifts so I will give them each a piece of the cricut mat and I'll still have an extra for myself.

I'll try to get to your challenge soon!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 12:30:36 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 10:39:10 AM »
I uploaded my first attempt at this one.

I decided to not add more color to the focal images as I liked keeping this piece very color-conservative...Not my usual 'MO'.

Fun!
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 04:42:43 PM »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 09:03:25 PM »
Cindi , glad to see that her little tip worked good for you, and you will have enough for your family members too :)

Thanks to everyone for trying my challenge, just love the ideas you all have come up with!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 09:19:23 PM by Conniecrafter »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »
April, your card is beautiful! 

Why don't I think to make backgrounds like this more often?  That's why we need these challenges!  Thanks Connie! 
I hope to make another card, with a more traditional shadow background soon ... but today I needed a Halloween card! 
I stamped my background in somewhat of a diagonal as was done in the video.  White ink on black always turns out somewhat shady, so I thought it would work well for this challenge, and for the card.

Halloween Card with a Shadow Background
Cindi