Author Topic: Card making discussion  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Card making discussion
« on: October 28, 2018, 05:31:21 PM »
I was wondering approx. how many Christmas cards do you send out.  Do you make them all  the same or all different or do you make them in batches.  If you make them in batches how do decide how many to make?
Thanks for sharing!...Jan 

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 05:51:56 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Card making discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 05:59:25 PM »
I think I send between 40 and 50, although I am really not sure.  If I don’t have enough I just keep making in December until I send them all out.

I do not typically make multiples, but I do sometimes make 2-3 of one design. 

For the first time this year, I purchased a kit from Close to my Heart and it made 12 cards, 6 each of 2 designs.  I bought it so I would have something to do at a day long crop.  It was an interesting way to make cards and I am happy with those too.

~~Heidi~~

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 06:23:15 PM »
I used to make them all the same design.  But the last two years I just have been making focals for months and then turn them into cards.  That has been this group and your Christmas challanges influences.   Some focals I liked and made more some I only did two.
I only made 35 this year, don’t need as many as I get older.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 06:25:16 PM by Yankee »
Born on the fourth of July

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 06:58:12 PM »
I make around 45. I make up my list first and then make enough cards for that and maybe a few more that I might need. I follow the challenge prompts on this board each month, so I do not do multiples. I never did actually because I want to use many Chritmas stamps I have and it is boring for me to do muliples.

April :smile:

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 06:39:27 AM »
Thanks for the responses!  It helped me feel that I can still do this :smile:   I always thought all of you who are making cards all year were making 100+.  I've been trying to update my mailing list...what a big job!  I generally don't send to local friends...but now I am reviewing Fairbanks friends. Usually I send to about 40.   Sometimes I make a couple batches usually no more than 6 cards but I change out colors or my sketch.  I do like they are all individual.

I saw Yankee and Heidi's comments in the gallery about a white Sharpie marker dissolving the heated EP.  Sharpie does not have a white alcohol ink marker.  The white "marker" is in different packaging and says oil paint.  Obviously they are not compatible. Sharpie does have oil paint markers in a range of colors so we need to be careful.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 07:38:30 AM »
Jan, you can do it!

As a clarification, I meant that regular sharpie markers colored over white embossing dissolve the embossing and get on the pen tip (and also the embossing looks not so good).  I have heard that this does not happen with other colors, just white, but I am not an expert. I try to avoid using alcohol markers with white embossing. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 08:27:18 AM »
I make anywhere from 40 - 50 I would say, I get pretty bored making the same card but for siblings I try to make the same type of card so for my siblings I will make 5 cards that are closely alike and the 3 I just posted will go to my hubby's siblings I already had one made for his other sister.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 08:49:56 AM »
Thanks Heidi for the clarification...I have no idea what is used to make embossing powder...other than tiny bits of plastic. But I won't try making that mess.

I too get tired of making repetitive pieces for multiple cards. Thanks for sharing Connie!

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »
Like Yankee, I used to come up with one design and make all of my Christmas cards the same.  Used to send close to 100 cards, now I'm at around 80 I think.  By the time I finished 100 of the same card I was pretty grumpy!  Not very Christmas-like to be swearing at your cards, haha! 

Now I often make 8-10 of each design, especially if I start early in the year.  Ideally I would make 8-10 each month.  That never happens! 

The thing I like about making them all the same, is there is no decision making as to who gets which card when it comes time to mail them!  Also, it seems the design process takes me a long time, so if I make multiples, I spend less time designing.

I have been really in a slump this year.  Need to get a move on, so if I come up with a design I like, I might just make lots and lots of it.

Good luck with your Christmas card making Jan!  Don't do what I do, do what I say (ha!) and start now!
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 11:32:53 AM »
My lack of regular participation here has put me out of the loop of what new products/tools folks are using and liking. I’m trying to make a birthday and Santa list so please share if you using any of the following and how you think they are working for you (or any other favorites):  Oxide Inks, the Gemini, Spellbinders embossing diffuser, favorite Nuvo products, and any specific stamps, dies, or stencils.  Thanks!...Jan

Thanks Cindi for your response to making Christmas card making.  I too find the design process takes considerable time...especially after years of building our supply stashes.  I too run through many trials of colors, stamps, layouts etc. I spend lots of time learning how new inks work and what effects I can achieve.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:34:33 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 12:34:34 PM »
I reach for the oxide inks for regular stamping all the time, in addition to their use for backgrounds.  There are too many browns, but the colors are great. 

I like the Nuvo drops in clear, clear sparkle, black, etc for adding embellishments.
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 02:35:36 PM »
I love the Oxides especially when stamping with solid stamps and clear stamps. The ink dosen't bead up on them as much and you get a crisp inmage. Of course Oxides are fun to play with doing techniques. Tim Holtz and Jennifer McGuire have great techniques to sjoq using them.

I will have to look up what a Spellbinder embossing diffuser is. I have not heard of it!

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 07:51:05 PM »
I too love the way the oxides stamp, so much better than the distress inks

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 09:10:25 AM »
I did look up the diffuser and I have a system sort of like this. I haven't used it in a long time. I just forget to use it. I need to put it with my embossing folders so iI won't forget! it does make for a nice area to stamp with the embossed area around it.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 06:02:10 PM »
I'm the same way April, I have another brand of diffusers and I always forget about them.

Jan, I don't have anything else on your wish list except for the Oxide inks, and I do like them.  Somewhere I read that you should purchase the reinkers with Oxides.  Has anyone else heard this?  In general, I don't purchase many reinkers.  As long as you're making a list ... maybe you should think about adding the reinkers?  I don't have many, because I bought some of mine on sale at Michaels and they don't have reinkers.  So far so good.

The Gemini looks good when I see it demoed on HSN ... by the way ... Tuesday is an all day Craft Day.  You might want to watch.  They sometimes have good prices, or bundles and usually you only pay $5 for shipping, all day, no matter how much you buy.  Oh, but this is for a Christmas wish list ... hmmm, tell Santa to shop early!
Cindi