Author Topic: Inktoberfest Chat Topics  (Read 3599 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Inktoberfest Chat Topics
« on: October 25, 2019, 01:35:47 PM »
I’d like us to think about what has changed in your craft life since we were stamping at 2Peas.  This can be the industry, your personal style, etc. 

Let me know if there are any other topics you would like to discuss.  Chat can start on Friday, if you like, even thought challenges won’t start till tomorrow.
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: Inktoberfest Chat Topics
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 03:57:38 PM »
I started out pretty early in stamping doing techniques and that has not changed for me. My style has become less frilly and more cutesy lately. Part of it is due to postage going up so much and having to make cards flatter. I still like all styles and I like to try different styles. Of course the industry has changed so much since I started about 27 years ago! Dies, alcohol inks, oxide inks, distress inks, electronic cutters, copics, oh my so much has developed since I was using embossing powder and heating it over a stove burner! LOL! :smile:

April :smile:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:01:38 PM by stampwilly »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 08:25:52 AM »
Oh April, I totally agree about your point about styles changing due to postal rates. When I first started making cards when I joined 2Peas, I totally loved adding buttons and other thick embellishments. If I use them now, it is because I know that I will be able to hand-deliver.

The biggest difference, for me, between now and then, is that I am not a beginner anymore.  I felt that there were many people just learning about stamping at 2Peas, and now, it doesn’t seem like there are very many beginners at all!

The main difference in the industry that I see is that most people use dies a lot now, and barely anyone did before.  It was just punches.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 09:02:34 AM »
Hmm, I actually went back and looked at some of my 2peas gallery.  I saved it on Scrapbook.com when they offered an easy way to upload to their gallery when 2peas closed. It's a coincidence that you ask about 2peas, just days after I returned from Denver, and I was in Denver when I got an email warning me to save everything because they were closing.  I'm pretty sure it was Daria, and I was so glad she had my email address and could warn me! 

How has my stamping changed?  I was thinking the same as Heidi and April ... I think I use less embellishments, though I didn't use that many before, I might use a little less printed paper now, and I have way more dies!  I had to laugh when April mentioned heat embossing over the stove burner!  I made a set of Christmas cards that way!  I love my heat gun.  It's my original Milwaukee that my mom bought me for Christmas after we were awed by an embossing demonstration at a LSS.   Oh yes, and we have WAY more inks!  Clear stamps were not around when I started either ... I didn't see an obvious style change when I looked back.  I've always liked trying techniques.  I'm still not good at shabby chic!
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 09:44:49 AM »
I always felt way out of the league at 2 Peas, I was not a big stamper and sometimes I still feel it is that way, I probably use more pattern paper than I do stamping my own background, probably because I feel I bought it I had better use it, LOL!

The biggest thing I like is the MISTI, I am more willing to try stamping if I know I can fix it if I didn't get it stamped correctly.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 10:07:42 AM »
Yes, the Misti and other stamping positioners really have changed things!  Excellent point, Connie!

I still use plenty of patterned paper. I really like it.

Cindi, yes, we have lots of inks now.  Maybe even too many.  For a beginner, I think they would be overwhelmed. I remember the videos that covered basically every brand of ink and how to use it.  That would be hard to do now that there are dozens of brands.  Even though many of them are basically the same.

The other thing that is super popular now, that was rarely used when I started at 2Peas are stencils.  Maybe they were used a lot previous to when I started, but it was really only those metal stencils that I remember in that time frame. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 10:29:34 AM »
Oh yes, stencils are big with me now. I have way too many! I bought some at the last show in Sept. and I haven't used them yet. I use my Misti all the time instead of blocks and I love the clear stamps because they take up less room and cling well. You can see better where to stamp sayings since the sayings can go crooked quick! LOL!

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 11:26:01 AM »
Tip :

I have a piece of acetate in my stamp positioner.  If I need to test out a sentiment (especially red rubber) before I stamp on my project ... I place the acetate over the project and stamp on that.  If it's good, I remove the acetate and stamp again.

I'm so glad Connie posted a patterned paper challenge!  I like it and need to use more! 

Yep, I have stencils too, and I've kept my brass stencils.  Even used one recently with glitter paste.

Also, way too many embossing folders! 

I think I'm a slower crafter now because I have too many choices.  Which stamp?  Embossing folder?  etc.

One of my favorite memories of 2peas was Jennifer McGuire's Thinking Inking series.

Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 02:22:01 PM »
I love stencils because they take up almost no room to store! 

I actually was just wondering about embossing folders. I think I have a bunch that I almost never use, but I keep them, nonetheless. ——[=-pt6y7r6f6ef8fvg (Simba just walked on my keyboard).

However, the embossing folders were definitely one of my very most favorite cardmaking looks when I first started out. 

Cindi, the Thinking Inking was SUCH an awesome resource!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 07:11:35 PM »
What changed my card making has been utube videos.
Before I was trying to learn from books.
When I started I used a lot of stickers  because how few stamps I owned.
I remember embossing with the stove and burning my cards.  Toastier worked better.
And inks there were only two kinds then,  die and pigment. Not as confusing.
Not that I don’t love my distress inks!
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 08:22:18 PM »
I have a lot of embossing folders, not too many stencils but I had forgotten all about my metal ones, I need to get them out and see if I could use them now.  I came in late with the embossing, never have tried it over the stove, wow that must have been hard.

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 10:52:10 AM »
The greatest change re: stamping for me since 2Peas is just doing lots less stamping. Frankly. If it weren't for being an AI & managing to attend our fests, I'd do even less.

Some of my reduction is due to personal circumstances, but mostly it's just a regular happening in my crafting life. I never completely stop doing any craft that I've done over the past 50+ years, but frequency waxes & wanes.

And within the Craft Industry there has definitely been a reduction in available materials--i.e. Colorbox closing.
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 02:31:59 PM »
What trends in the industry now do you like?

I love the oxide inks. I use them a lot to stamp solid stamps and to make backgrounds. Stencils are popular now too and I love using them and using different media to "color" them. I like the foiling and there are many ways to do that, though I have not done a lot of it. I hope to do more of it in the near future.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 03:20:53 PM »
I really love the oxide inks too. At first, I really thought they were a gimmick, but now I think a new stamper might want to consider these as a stamping ink before buying any pigment inks.  I like to make backgrounds with them, and sponge with them, but I also regularly stamp with them.  I might have to buy some reinkers soon!

I like stencils a lot.  If I make another online order, I want to buy some of that Pixie Spray that is a temporary adhesive for your stencils.  I know Technique Junkies carries it but probably other stores do too.  I also have some Heidi Swapp metallic pastes that I really like to use with stencils. 

Some of you know that I have started scrapbooking a little now. There are some lovely 12 x 12 papers available that are really inexpensive when they go on sale.  I like that I can use my stamps in different ways on a scrapbook page.  Either as a title, or a little piece of art that fills in between the photos.

I really love the look of foiling, but I am not willing to invest in some of the tools and space in my craft room to do that.  The hot foil dies and so on look really crisp, but I can’t imagine buying them.

What are the companies that are catching your eye right now?  As far as stamps, etc.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 08:56:21 PM »
I haven't used my oxides as much as I thought I would but I don't do a lot of my own backgrounds either, maybe I need to invest in some more stencils.
I am big on dies too, I like the combo of stamps and dies but don't have many, it is too costly.

A new stamp company the Greetery, is one I really like, she used to be with Papertrey ink I believe.  I won some stamps off her blog and I really love the way they work.