Author Topic: INK15 Marbles Roll!  (Read 8445 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
INK15 Marbles Roll!
« on: October 16, 2015, 05:19:42 AM »
Marbles Roll-a background technique :smitten:

Hi There...so happy you stopped in to check out my challenge!

I enjoyed the warm-up activity with several players and wanted to carry the fun of heat embossing into this challenge.  After all I am sure I could heat emboss daily for the next year and still have plenty EP left over…LOL!  I recall having so much fun with StampWilly when she shared the rolling marble technique with inks.  This challenge goes one step further to emboss the lines the marbles make to create a sparkling artsy background. 

Supplies: A2 size cardstock with smooth surface, embossing powder, embossing buddy, clear embossing re-inker (or as a substitute try matte gel or white glue which will dry clear), about 4 marbles, embossing powder, a stamping up clear stamp box or a small size frozen food tray  (a little larger than the A2 cardstock)  or something similar (I have used a recycled plastic jar.) and heat gun.

Steps for this technique:   Wipe embossing buddy across front of A2 panel.  Add a small piece of removable tape to the center of cardstock and adhere to the center of container.
Add marbles to outer edge of container. Add a line of reinker on the tray. Close lid if container has one.
Tilt, shake and roll marbles through reinker and over paper.  It is fun to try to move in ways that create lines that are not necessarily continuous or straight.  If you have done the technique previously without the embossing be sure to roll a lot fewer times so you can emboss each color separately and still have sufficient white space.

When finished remove panel add 1 color of embossing powder and heat embossing powder in traditional manner. For multiple colors return paper to tray and repeat process.

Other Notes-I tried using matt gel instead of embossing re-inker and found the results to be similar.

Other ideas:  For more complex designs-areas of the cardstock can be masked. Or areas of embossed background papers can be die cut. 

To participate in my random drawing please post your card in the gallery with title--INK14 Marbles Roll! supply list and noting special features of your card.  Please come back and share your link to the gallery, what you learned and tips for others.  Also if you have a question please post it on this thread…I’m sure someone can help. Challenge closes Sunday Oct 25, at midnight your time.

This challenge may be combined with others.

Can't wait to see how your marbles roll!...Jan

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 09:44:05 PM by Far North »

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
Re: INK15 Marbles Roll!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 09:24:27 AM »
I remember doing this challenge ages ago.  I think I may still have some background that I made but never got around to using somewhere in my stash. And I still have the container and marble up in my closet because I planned on doing it again eventually.  It was so much fun.  I can't wait to give it a try with embossing powders. 
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 12:12:52 PM »
This sounds neat!  We actually have our Chinese checkers game out, so I have easy access to marbles! 

Thanks for hositng, this sounds fun!
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
Ooh, I've seen this technique before! I only have one reinker. That's crazy I know! Can you do this technique with alcohol inks or sprays?
LeighAnn

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 10:58:17 AM »
Sorry LeighAnn no alcohol ink or spray probably won't work...it needs to be sticky for the EP to adhere.  Did you see in the  supplies I suggested substituting white glue or matt gel that dies clear?  Hope you have some white glue in your house!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 11:39:31 AM by Far North »

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 07:20:02 PM »
Thank you Jan! I have some and will see if that works.
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 08:48:11 PM »
I really like this technique.  The attached picture is of the backgrounds before I turned them into cards.  The one with the big orange splotch fell off the lid into the line of reinker.  Luckily it was in the middle so I could cover it with the image.

Marble Roll Frogs
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 10:18:10 PM »
Sarah your cards are terrific!  But ot-oh I am not seeing (or reading) any heat embossed lines---Am I just missing not seeing it on my monitor?  I sure hope so!!  Yesterday when you posted  "I can't wait to give it a try with embossing powders." I thought you understood. 

If you have combined the inked lines with embossed lines that is fine-that is just a modified twist. 
Oh Sarah I am so-o hoping you just forgot to mention the embossing.

...Jan

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 08:33:47 AM »
I completely forgot to mention the heat embossing when I posted.  ::) Instead of using clear ink and colored powders, I used colored ink and clear powder.  So after doing the orange lines, I embossed them with clear embossing powder.  Then I added the purple lines and embossed those with clear powder.  There are actually a couple of spots where the clear powder stuck and there was no ink.  But since it's clear, you can't really see it.  All the lines you see on the background are embossed.  It made for a really cool texture on the background.  It just isn't showing ever well in the pictures.
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 09:14:47 AM »
Thanks Sarah for sharing your details! 

Now all is good...thanks for playing in my challenge!

...Jan
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:21:29 AM by Far North »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 09:20:36 AM »
I have done this before, but never with embossing powders so this will be a new twist for me! Can't wait!

April

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 11:05:25 AM »
I don't have any marbles in my house, I wonder if hubby has some metal "marbles" from a broken bearing laying around at work I can use.  This sounds like fun, and I am all about the fun this week......LOL!
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 10:34:07 AM »
Ok I did not have any marbles or any clear embossing reinker, so I was glad to see you mentioned using other things, I ended up using Glue-n-seal on my card, I will share an example I tried first with Scotch glue that did not work at all.  My hubby had some metal balls, can't remember where he said they were from so I used them but I see now I used way too many, I think I had like 7 and I was suppose to use 4, oooops.  Probably would have had a better outcome.  I used the technique on both the background and the leaves before cutting them out.  Hubby really liked this card, I wasn't so sure.

Here is my card:
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=2056&message_id=c48e29c455284c9430baa585b58ffe3c&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

Here is my first attempt:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 10:36:04 AM by Conniecrafter »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 11:09:27 AM »
I love your leaf card!  I know the metallic shine is wonderful! Hmm--Good to know about the Glue n Seal--I didn't try that one cause I think of it as being thicker and more paste like. It may take a while to try out how much glue/resist re-inker is needed for the range of lots on the paper to thin lines. No matter I love the randomness of the embossing powder across the paper.  Thanks Connie for sharing your experimentation on this challenge and creating a wonderful card!!

...Jan
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:45:54 AM by Far North »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 12:54:07 PM »
This was fun! I have done this before but only with colored reinkers. I used white glue so the ep would stick. It gave the card even more texture. I used orange, magenta and blue sparkle ep. I just had to use the crazy bird for this wild background!

April

background -- http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2061#top_display_media

card -- http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2062#top_display_media