Author Topic: WF20 Adding Depth to your Stencil--WINNER ANNOUCED  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
WF20 Adding Depth to your Stencil--WINNER ANNOUCED
« on: January 28, 2020, 03:50:38 PM »
I'm excited to host my first challenge.  Let's have some fun!  Please do not combine another challenge with this one.

A Colorful Life Designs is sponsoring my challenge with a $10 credit towards your purchase at A Colorful Life Designs.

My challenge to you is to create two backgrounds using a technique that I developed.  The tutorial I made can be found at Sunflowers and Dragonflies

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO USE A SPECIFIC STENCIL--ANY STENCIL WILL BE ACCEPTED

I am adding a twist to this challenge:  you will get one ballot for completing two backgrounds and an extra ballot if you turn one background into a finished card.

Please link your finished work in the gallery and leave a comment on this thread stating you have a card in the gallery.  Don't forget to come back with a link to your finished card too.

This is a technique that I developed

INSTRUCTIONS:

1.  Using tacky spray, tack your stencil down on cardstock.  If you do not have tacky spray, use a method that works for you.
2.  Sponge colour over your entire stencil.
3.  Lift off stencil and cut to size.
4.  Using a fine-tipped marker, draw lines along the inside, or outside, of the area you want to highlight or place shadow.  It is very important that you stay consistent with the placement of your lines.  Use a coordinating colour of marker when drawing lines.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 02:35:00 PM by Canadian, eh »
Beth

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Adding Depth to your Stencil
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 07:41:07 AM »
I loved this technique idea when I saw it on your blog because it doesn’t look too hard to do, but it adds a whole bunch to the background!  Your samples are wonderful.  Two very different stencils but work wonderfully.   You also have a way with color and the stencils. I usually am not brave enough to use that many colors.

It is very generous of A Colorful Life to sponsor this challenge.  I had heard of Technique Junkies, but I did not know that A Colorful Life was where they got their stencils.  I do plan to have a nice look around their store.  I feel that most of the stencils available in brick and mortar stores are not great for cardmaking, so it is nice to have a good online source.

Also, I am in the market for the Pixie Spray.  Since I was working the last stamp show I went to, I didn’t have a lot of time to look around, or I think I would have purchased it.  That stamp show is not returning to my town this year as they had very bad attendance last year. 

Thank you very much for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
Re: Adding Depth to your Stencil
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 08:52:25 AM »
Thanks for nudging me to host this challenge.  I'm so glad you were inspired, Heidi.
Beth

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: WF20 Adding Depth to your Stencil
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 09:25:44 AM »
Your samples are beautiful! I love working with stencils and this is a technique that I have not done! can't wait to try it.

April :smile:

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 09:39:36 AM »
I too thought it was very neat on your blog but I am intimidated because I am very bad with knowing where shadows should be, but will give it a try, this might be one hubby will have to help me with, LOL.

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 09:45:55 AM »
Connie, I used to tole-paint and got good with shadows and highlights.  It took me a long time to "get it."  It's not imperative that you try "shadowing" or "highlighting".  To make it workable, why not just do the tops or bottoms of the areas you want to use the marker.   Hope this helps.
Beth

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 09:59:22 AM »
that is what I was thinking :)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 02:33:00 PM »
I really enjoyed this challenge! This technique really does add depth to any stencil. I made 3 backgrounds and made one into a card.

April :smile:

backgrounds -- http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4761#top_display_media

card --  http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4762#top_display_media

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 04:53:07 PM »
This was more fun than I thought!
I was only going to do one, but I did three and will now do more.
I forgot to take photo before making the card.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/5C6F2B85-2AD1-4D53-931B-59F063CB2B9C.jpeg

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4764#top_display_media
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:56:06 PM by Yankee »
Born on the fourth of July

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 04:56:02 PM »
I made two backgrounds today and it was a lot of fun.  I didn’t have a chance to make them into cards yet, but I thought I would share the backgrounds tonight. 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4765#top_display_media

I don’t know why I didn’t think to look harder for a colored marker. I think I would have liked the look of brown instead of black on my trees. And now I see others here used colors so nicely. But anyhow, I am very happy with both backgrounds, and that doesn’t always happen when I try new techniques!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 08:31:46 AM »
Sorry about the long wait for a response to all of your beuaitufl work.  I'm on afternoons this week. 

April, your backgrounds are lovely and such a nice variety of stencils.  Your finished card really shows off your stencil and I think going with a black bottom really accents this technique.  I asked for finished cards for ideas for myself (LOL) and you did the task perfectly.  Thanks for playing along.

Yankee (Sheila, is it?) your stencils are awesome, especially the balloons.  It is too bad your brown markers dried out.  Your finished piece looks good with black marker since you added black over top. Thanks for playing along.

Heidi, the colours you used in your background are done flawlessly.  That birch tree stencil is very intriguing and I'm glad you used it because it shows me what a change in stencil can do with this technique.  Your black works well.  Thanks for playing along.

Beth

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 09:17:59 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their kind comments on my backgrounds. I think I was being a little too critical of my work.  I did make these into cards this morning but it is so gloomy, I’m not sure I will photo them today or not. I am going to keep on trucking to get all the challenges done. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2020, 07:12:07 AM »
Heidi, terrific cards!  As I said in my comment on your card, the blue really brings out your background.  Your finished card is so cute.

Speaking of cute, your winter card is full of cuteness.  Your choice of stencil is very interesting and you clearly knew how to finish it off.  Those rolling hills, and snowman are a nice addition.

Thanks for joining in on this challenge.
Beth

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 11:08:53 AM »