Author Topic: WF2020 - Card Recipe Chat and Discussion  (Read 1252 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
WF2020 - Card Recipe Chat and Discussion
« on: January 28, 2020, 06:41:19 PM »
Many of you may have your old cards saved on your computer or phone somewhere.  Or in this gallery or your blog.  I happened to be scanning through a bunch of the cards I made in the last year and I realized that some of them seemed to be made with the same “recipe.” 

Do you think about “card recipes” when you are creating?  If you needed to make a card fast, would knowing your card recipe be a help?

What about trying new things?  When you look at other peoples cards, do you think of just the sketch they used, or the different components and techniques they used for their layers?

Please give me your input on this.

And then if you would, look through your cards and see if you can find a “recipe” and share a link to one of the cards and write the recipe here. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 07:21:39 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: WF2020 - Card Recipe Chat and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 07:24:20 AM »
Here is one of two “Card recipes” that I noticed in my cards.

1) embossed background that is matted
2) stamped and colored focal point, cut with a shaped die
3) sentiment stamped on a strip

Here is a recent card where I used that recipe, I think most of you have seen it:  http://mylittlestampingblog.blogspot.com/2020/01/new-sympathy-card-series-january.html
~~Heidi~~

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 08:05:44 AM »
I try and photo all my cards, to keep track of what I have done.  So I looked at them, as you asked.
The only things that stand out  are how many different things I have tried.  But there is always some stamping and embossing somewhere, and the only matting is the card base color showing. I almost never mat a card, I just don’t like the weight it adds.  Once I got some black paper ( computer weight) and that added no weight to my project.  But I haven’t found that in years.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 08:31:15 AM »
Yankee, you can get lightweight black paper at Paper Garden.ca

This is a great topics. 

What I have noticed about my cards is that I like to try a wide variety of card shapes and sponge work. 

I used SCS tutorial a lot for my 3-D cards.

SPONGING

You can use small sponges or blending brushes to do this technique. 

1.  Sponge before adding stamps so that your images are stamped out crisp
2.  Using a light colour, sponge on ink, in a circular motion, starting off your paper and blending inwards until there is a hint of your white background.  This adds depth to your work.
3.  Repeat if you want to darken your image.
4.  Using a darker colour of ink, repeat by moving your sponge/blending brush in a circular motion, starting off your cardstock, moving inwards.
5.  Often, I like to sponge the corners inwards.  Sponge dark ink from tip of corner inwards on all four sides.  This takes away the "square look" of a card.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 08:44:11 AM by Canadian, eh »
Beth

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 09:52:38 AM »
interesting, I will have to look through my cards

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 10:29:56 AM »
I see that most of my cards are layered. I use a lot of techniques and fussy cutting or cutting out the image with a die shape. Here are examples below.

April :smile:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 12:39:46 PM »
April, I agree, that you often will use a background technique and the incorporate it into some layers and often a fussy cut stamped image.  Definitely!

Sheila, If I can figure out how to see just your cards in the gallery, I was thinking I could take a look and see if I see a pattern. 

Beth, I agree that you do make a lot of fancy folds, and also incorporate stenciling quite a bit.  And you use a lot of colors. 

It will be interesting to see if anyone else notices a pattern in their cards or anyone else’s.  Thanks for the conversation so far!
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 04:59:32 PM »
Sheila, I think that in your cards you do use a lot of images on a die cut, and then have them over top of a background done with a technique.  You don’t seem to use matting, you definitely described that correctly.   And, of course, you use a lot of hot air balloons!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 12:48:40 PM »
Hmm, it’s easier to pick out recipes in other people’s cards.  When I think of April, I usually notice that she picks the perfect embellishments.  Heidi, I always love your layouts.

When I tried to find a “recipe” in my cards I saw mostly one large layer, matted one or more times and few embellishments.  I don’t know .., what do you see?  Lots of times there is a technique background, but I think that’s because I am way more productive when there’s a “fest” going on and I’m working the challenges.

I think having a recipe would certainly be easier, especially when you need a card in a hurry.  Easier to stick with what you know works for you!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 08:04:00 AM »
Cindi, I do see that in a lot of your cards you mat the background, the focal image and your sentiment strip.  I think that adding the sentiment as a strip like that is part of your recipe.

I am open to the idea that maybe there aren’t “recipes” for most our cards, if anyone wants to chime in on that. I think Cindi’s point about us challenging ourselves with new things in fests is a good one!  I do think that i have “go to” templates and “go to” techniques that I like the look of (dry embossing) and use a lot. 

Thanks all for discussing this!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 09:36:55 AM »
I think recipes are useful to give us a starting point ... then we can season as we wish with a new technique, embellishments, etc.  I have an old magazine style book (around here somewhere) that contains cards made with many different layouts.  In the back is an index of sorts with just the sketches.  I used that book a lot when I was just getting in to card making. 

I just found the second volume.
Joy of Card Making .  and they do call them recipes!

Here is a link to the "second edition".  Amazon also sells the original, or a collector's edition but if you're going for a used original ... it's much cheaper on other sites.

Here is the original.  There is also a collector's edition.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:40:03 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 09:44:50 AM »
Thank you Heidi, for taking a look to find my recipe!  I will take another look at my cards in the gallery.
Cindi