Author Topic: WF20 - Glitzy (2/1 - 2/9) WINNER ANNOUNCED  (Read 2230 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
WF20 - Glitzy (2/1 - 2/9) WINNER ANNOUNCED
« on: January 31, 2020, 01:08:01 PM »
What I have appreciated very much about these fests over the years is that it pushes me out of my comfort zone to try new things, and things that I wouldn’t normally be inclined to do.  When I was choosing my challenge, I first was going to do something that I do a lot, but then I changed my mind and chose a new technique.

This is an old one from Split Coast Stampers and here is the link: https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/glitteredstenciling/

You can do any of the variations shown. 

SUBSTITUTION IDEAS:
I asked my husband what PVA Glue is and he said that Elmer’s Glue is PVA.  You may be able to substitute that.  None of my kids have this anymore, so I substituted with 3 of my pastes. 

First I did Gesso with glitter, second I tried Deco Foil Gel medium and glitter, and because I realized that some of you may not have loose glitter anymore, I also did Whipped Spackle and embossing powder.  I did wait for it to dry before embossing it.  Embossing Tinsel would be a great substitution too.  (I might be careful if using some glues with a heat tool, I wonder if they would burn).

I am hoping that this is something that most will be able to try, so let me know if you need more ideas for substitutions. 

THERE WILL BE A SMALL RAK for this challenge.

1) Try any of the variations of this technique and take a photo and upload it in the gallery. It will help if you name it WF20 - Glitzy.  Please link in this thread so I can find it. 
2) If you make a finished card with the backgrounds you will get a second entry. 

Ask any questions here! O0
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 12:41:26 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: WF20 - Glitzy (2/1 - 2/9)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 07:32:32 AM »
Here are some backgrounds I tried, I know it isn’t a great picture but they all look neat.  Especially the embossing powder, since it has the dimension of both the paste and the powder.

The second one with the stars was white glitter over the deco foil gel medium. I have to say that this one reminds me a lot of if you just did sparkle embossing powder.  Not the same, but similar. 

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4745#top_display_media

And here is a project I made:

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4746#top_display_media
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 09:55:18 AM »
I tried something like this by mixing glitter in with paste

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 09:59:55 AM »
I tried something like this by mixing glitter in with paste

That would be a reasonable way to do it too!  I didn’t find that my glitter came off easily, but if I was worried about that, encapsulating it would be a way to avoid it. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 10:00:37 AM »
I have tried this before and I love it. I might try masking my image and then doing the paste and glitter this time. Thanks for the reminder!
April :smile:

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 06:54:13 AM »
Had lots of fun with this technique.  My card can be found in our gallery

I used A Colorful Life Designs stencil (they hold up very well for us media junkies).  Lucky for me I found one teeny tiny bottle of glitter.  Sadly, I just gave away my large package of Martha Stewart's glitter, thinking I have no use for them, then I see glitter is making a comeback.

For my "paste" I used Deco Foil transfer gel duo (from Technique Junkies).

Wasn't sure how to finish off my card until I looked through my stencils and found the perfect ones from Impression Obsession.  This card will go to DH for Valentine's day.

Thanks for a great challenge Heidi!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:09:04 AM by Canadian, eh »
Beth

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 06:59:26 AM »
Beth, your card is gorgeous! The glitter and hearts makes a wonderful Valentine. I am wondering what you used for the glue or paste. Just to know what kind of things work for future reference. 

Thank you so much for playing along. I see in the gallery you have already done several cards!

I need to get my groceries this morning and then I want to start playing.  It is supposed to be 50 here today so I will also take a walk but really need to get started.  This was a busier weekend than I expected. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 07:09:47 AM »
Sorry Heidi.  I edited my post to say I used deco foil Transfer Gel Duo.

I told DH that this was "my weekend of stamping for WF2020" so I was able to get a lot done before a week of work ahead of me.  I'm on 3-11 this week and want to work on another challenge throughout the week.  I do love my 3-11's because I'm more motivated in the morning. :)

Enjoy that weather!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:12:37 AM by Canadian, eh »
Beth

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 01:11:48 PM »
I used three different products, I never used before.
I found half my pastes were dryed up, including two that had never been opened .
Any way the glue was super thick but still didn’t hold the glitter, the paper warped and when I tried to straighten the gliffer flacked off, trash pile!
The other two worked great, I love the metal paste, it is more than one  color!
The glitter paste was easy too, but I looked at the stencil wrong.  I thought it was feathers, but it is leaves!
Leaves aren’t silver, so I just used a piece of the card.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/98A60AAC-8951-4669-AF74-03BBBABF9349.jpeg
Born on the fourth of July

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 09:26:36 AM »
I used three different products, I never used before.
I found half my pastes were dryed up, including two that had never been opened .
Any way the glue was super thick but still didn’t hold the glitter, the paper warped and when I tried to straighten the gliffer flacked off, trash pile!
The other two worked great, I love the metal paste, it is more than one  color!
The glitter paste was easy too, but I looked at the stencil wrong.  I thought it was feathers, but it is leaves!
Leaves aren’t silver, so I just used a piece of the card.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/albums/userpics/11227/98A60AAC-8951-4669-AF74-03BBBABF9349.jpeg

One of my pastes was dried up too.  But it had been opened. That must have been disappointing to open a new one and have it be dry! 

For posterity here is a link to Sheila’s finished cards: http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4760#top_display_media

I love your results, thanks so much for playing!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 09:28:32 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 02:31:21 PM »
April, your backgrounds and cards are all wonderful.  Thank you for doing my challenge!
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 02:32:29 PM »
Just a reminder if you were thinking of doing the challenge.  You only have to try a background and post it to be entered for the RAK.  If you finish a card you get an extra entry.  So if you hate your background you don’t have to use it, lol! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 10:27:35 PM »
I had fun playing with glitter and stencils tonight!  I used Golden gel medium.  It says Regular Gel (gloss) on the container.
I made 3 backgrounds and an ATC and just for fun, made one background with just the gloss and no glitter.  I'll post a picture tomorrow once they are dry.  I really hope the gel holds the glitter well.  Are you finding your glitter stays put?  I can't remember the last time I used gel medium or glitter so this was a fun challenge.  Thanks!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 09:08:48 AM »
I tried one more combinations, inspired by Sheilas colored paste with glitter on it.  I did Heidi Swapp texture paste with glitter over it.  I did make a finished card with it, I will try to share it soon.  On this one though, my glitter didn’t stick as well.  I definitely wouldn’t be mailing it. 

All of my other experiments, I used one of those swiffer dusters after it dried to get the excess, and since then, the glitter has stuck very well. I think the MOST stuck you would get is if you used embossing tinsel instead of glitter and then heat set it. 
~~Heidi~~