Author Topic: Happy Mail-distress oxide ink (DOX) backgrounds  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: Happy Mail-distress oxide ink (DOX) backgrounds
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 01:36:31 PM »
Just a quick reminder that often handmade backgrounds are rather "iffy" until an image is stamped on top.

I just read your comment AFTER I finished playing, and I have to say, I'm not crazy about my backgrounds.  Ha!  I know you're right.  The finished cards can be wonderful.  I made some on watercolor paper and some on cardstock.  Type of paper and amount of water spritzed does make a difference.  I think once they are flatter (I have them stacked under a heavy dictionary) I might also add some white or black paint lines.

I had a good hour or two of inky fun.  Thanks for that!  I think I will go on to try another technique as long as the oxides are out ...
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 02:09:19 PM »
Okay I just tried glossy cardstock and it appears that that DOX inks glide a longer distance on it than on plain cardstock..not a huge difference but certainly some.   I tried Distress Glaze over my piece and buffed.  Not sure if that made much of a difference but I will have to give it another try.  Hope everyone is having a fun playtime!...Jan

PS.  As I compared my 1st trials on lightweight cardstock I found the swiped colors to be mostly opaque while the swipes on glossy are far more transparent. So you may want to give glossy cardstock a try.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 08:49:05 PM by Far North »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 10:37:40 AM »
I haven't had a chance to give it a try yet, but I will give the glossy cardstock a try for sure :)

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 08:14:17 AM »
Jan, I have many of these that I made over a year ago after seeing Karen Dunbrook's cards.  Nora and I got together and just kept making them.  Nora, of course, turned some of hers into cards.  Mine have just languished.  I felt certain that I had posted the backgrounds, but I don't see them anywhere.  I even checked the photos of my cards on my computer and cell phone.  Nada.  I remember writing about the ink bleeding into the white lines and what I did to lessen that.  I must have written about it in an email to Nora because I cannot find anything on my computer about the backgrounds I made.

Here are the backgrounds from 2017.

I would be happy to make new ones for this swap and send someone Happy Mail.
Sign me up.

Daria

ETA:  April, I loved seeing all your pieces and reading about the ways you played with the technique.  To quote Heidi, "Very cool." 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:12:17 PM by djc »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 03:20:24 PM »
Wonderful backgrounds April and Daria!

A few comments about my experience :

Like April, I found that distress oxides never dry on glossy when I made this card about a year and a half ago.   At the time I couldn't find any mention of it by other stampers online.  In fact I think people were using it on photo paper and reporting good results.  I didn't try rubbing the pigment off because in my case (distinct stamped images rather than a background) I was afraid of smearing.  Great idea on your backgrounds though, April!
Instead, I re-made my card on plain cardstock.  Jan, your idea was a good one, and necessary to set - going over it with glaze. 

Daria, I did dry between layers to try to avoid mud, especially on the backgrounds that included wilted violet.

I took photos of my backgrounds before and after I added black and white lines.  Mainly because I had another crazy day yesterday and I quick took a photo before lines because I was afraid I would never get lines added.  Dad wound up in the ER and it was Mom's 80th birthday.  Luckily Dad wasn't admitted so today I was free to add lines!  Phew!  Kind of fun to see the difference.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 03:52:44 PM »
Here are 6 of my backgrounds, I made 7 total.  I tried the technique on Neenah solar white 80lb card stock and Strathmore 140lb watercolor paper.  I did try cutting a jagged edge on my hotel key card.  I used it on two backgrounds, I think. 

salty ocean combo plain
salty ocean combo with black and white lines added
more color combos plain
more color combos black and white added
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:20:10 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 04:15:35 PM »
I needed a birthday card, quick!  Mom turned 80 yesterday but I spent most of the week with her as she is recuperating from a fall and a partial hip replacement.  I used one of my distress oxide backgrounds.  I wasn't crazy about it alone, but I love it under the Baroque Filigree cut and emboss folder.  I trimmed the embossed layer to let a bit more of my background show.  The way it looks on the card reminds me of madras plaid.

Card
Background

I had fun with your challenge Jan!

I will make a card for Daria and post it soon!
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 10:30:58 AM »
Cindi, I think your backgrounds are great!  I like the addition of the black and white lines.  Your mom's birthday card is terrific!  Great minds think alike; I also cover up backgrounds I'm not crazy about with background die-cuts.  The bits of color that show through are just right. 

I was surprised that you got good results with watercolor paper.  They say not to use it since the color soaks in so quickly that it doesn't spread, but yours look fine.

Daria

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 12:36:54 PM »
Here are  the titles of 2 videos that share the basics of oxides on glossy paper. Unfortunately copying the addresses of these videos did not work...but a search of the titles on You Tube does work.

Tim Holtz Distress Oxide on Glossy Paper
The beginning  of this video is about new oxide colors released in 2018. Tim begins talking about glossy paper oxide inks, water spritzing  and distress glaze at 6:43 minutes.

Glazed Distress Oxide 
Jennifer McGuire shares more techniques for inking distress ink onto glossy paper...but does not show swiping with a credit card.

Sounds like AIs are making some production playtime! Thanks all for playing!...Jan

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 09:20:33 PM »
Thanks Jan, I looked up the videos.  Seems that the Distress Oxides rubbing off of glossy paper is to be expected.  Distress Glaze is needed to make it permanent.  I'll try glossy again.  I'm curious to see what I get, as both Tim Holtz and Jennifer McGuire repeatedly refer to "Alcohol Ink Paper" rather than generic "glossy paper".  Jennifer did have a note on her video mentioning Ranger Glossy would work as well.  I'm not sure what brand I have, but I know it's not "alcohol ink paper".
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 09:52:25 PM »
Some time ago I recall one of the Ranger staff said that Ranger's glossy paper was 8.5 x 11 size and the same paper was cut into A2 size and packaged and sold as Alcohol ink paper. Now they have Yupo...and Tim did state in the video that Yupo does not=glossy paper.

So now it all seems to me to remain confusing...particularly since I have purchased other brands which may be co-mingled in my file with Ranger's glossy..Oh my this is making my brain tired LOL!... But no matter what inking results occur I hope to embrace it in some artsy manner.
... Jan

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:54:53 PM by Far North »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 09:43:02 AM »
I think that any glossy paper works well. Tim just says alcohol ink paper to sell his product and make it sound special. All my glossy paper has been from Marcos and works very well with alcohol inks and other techniques. Yupo is definitley different. Glossy paper is somewhat porous whereas Yupo paper is actually plastic and not porous at all.

April :smile:

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2019, 03:08:39 PM »
All right already!  I found I had one piece of 12x12 Ranger Inkssentials Gloss Card Stock, so I cut it up and made 4 A2 backgrounds 2 with the challenge technique and two using Tim's technique.

I have to admit, I'm glad I did.  I like the vibrant colors and the shine achieved using glossy paper, distress oxide inks and Distress Glaze.  It forced me to crack open that jar of Distress Glaze I bought some time ago too!

I went over the glossy cs several times to get any color to stick.  The watery inks could pretty much be swiped on and right back off!  I added spots over the top by dipping in to the remaining ink.  Once the Distress Glaze was applied, I was a little worried about stamping over the top, but Archival ink worked just fine to get some black lines. 

Here are the backgrounds I made :

Two for the challenge

two with Tim's technique just for fun

Ok, who's next?! 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 03:15:57 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2019, 03:28:11 PM »
I forgot to ask :

What do you know about clean up after Distress Glaze?
I used 3 separate foam circles to apply the glaze because they picked up the oxidation and I was afraid of contaminating the next background.  Do you think the foam can be cleaned?  Or should I just toss them? 

ETA :

I had a thought ... if Dawn dish soap was used to clean up the animals after the Exxon Valdez, maybe it could clean distress glaze out of foam circles.  I read last night that some think distress glaze is petroleum jelly based (in fact if you don't have any glaze, there is a youtube video for a DIY version using Vaseline and rubbing alcohol).  Turns out, yes, it works!  The foam looks pretty clean.  I might set it aside for distress glaze use only, just so I don't inadvertently make any Distress Inks waterproof  :o

Cindi