Author Topic: February 2017 Artsy Inker Challenge - Stamping with Paint  (Read 5026 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
February 2017 Artsy Inker Challenge - Stamping with Paint
« on: February 01, 2017, 07:36:15 AM »
The sign up for hosting this challenge can be found here:  http://duhnproductions.com/forum/index.php?topic=1035.0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This month I want to start you off with a technique challenge.  I want you to try stamping with paint.  I would prefer that you try stamping with watercolor paint but if you do not have any (or if it totally just is not working for you) you can use acrylic paint too.

Here is an example where I used watercolor paint to stamp my background:
http://mylittlestampingblog.blogspot.com/2016/03/stamping-with-watercolor-paint.html

And here is a video by the Frugal Crafter that also shows a similar technique:
https://thefrugalcrafter.wordpress.com/2016/02/17/using-watercolors-instead-of-ink-stamp-school/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please make a project using this technique and post it in our Artsy Inkers gallery.  Also, please link to it here so we can all find it.  You have through February 28th to play along.

Feel free to share your experiences with this, questions and any tips or resources you find. 

I hope you will have fun and want to participate!

Thanks!
Heidi
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:22:13 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Love your background, I will need to see if we have any watercolors... I know I have watercolor pencils, pens and I think hubby has some crayons but I am not sure about straight watercolors, maybe there is something left over from when my daughter was in school

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Connie, I would think that even a crayola set of watercolors would work! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
yea I was thinking if I can't find any I will just get a cheap set, cause I am really big at just using my distress inks watered down for my normal watercoloring :)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
When I saw the title of this thread, "Stamping with Paint", I was not expecting watercolor! :o
I will give this a try!  Your background is beautiful and I enjoyed the video.

Cindi

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
Re: February 2017 Artsy Inker Challenge - Stamping with Paint
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 08:37:08 PM »
Interesting technique.  I've got a couple of different sets of watercolors I can use for this. 

Your sample came out beautiful, Heidi.  And thanks for starting the monthly challenges. 
Sarah

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 08:46:41 PM »
Your sample is beautiful! This should be fun. Can't wait to try it.

April :smile:

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 12:46:16 PM »
I gave this a try with my grandsons watercolors, used the rainbow colors.  Then stamped over it when dry.
Added color with the same watercolors, and it worked!

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3212#top_display_media
Born on the fourth of July

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 01:02:12 PM »
Sheila, your project is so neat, and you really went over the top by doing the paint-stamping in rainbow!  Wow!  Thanks so much for doing this challenge!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 04:47:02 PM »
I have made 2 backgrounds. Some stamping friends are coming over on Thursday and I was going to show them this technique. I will be making more backgrounds with them and then I will make my card. Looking forward to getting it done!

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 08:07:16 PM »
I swear I had commented on this thread last week!?  :idiot2: Heidi, your sample is so pretty. Love those blues.

I worked on a couple of backgrounds but didn't have success with my paint. I was using the gansai tambi pallete and I think the paint is just too thick for it to work. I've done this before and I'm pretty sure I used my sons crayons watercolors. I'm going to see if the pallete is still in okay condition and try it. Little DS loves to paint but he also loves to mix up all the colors!

Shelia, love your card! The rainbow coloring turned out great!
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 07:13:49 AM »
I am glad to hear that you guys are able to get some crafting time in. 

April, I can't wait to see what you have done!  That is fun that you are going to show it to your friends!

LeighAnn, I do not have that brand of watercolors so I can't comment too much, but, did you try spritzing the whole stamp with water to get the paint to transfer more readily??  Sheila used the kids' paint, so that should work too.

Thanks!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 10:19:45 PM »
I found that I did better with a background stamp instead of a small stamp. The larger background stamp had a little time to dry a tad while painting, so I just spritzed a little at the top ( because that is where I painted first ) and it stamped very well. When I painted a small stamp, then stamped without spritzing because it was still quite wet, it stamped blotchy. So if you use a small stamp I would wait a few minutes and let it dry some before stamping.

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 01:57:32 PM »
Here is my entry! I had fun with this. I used TH20s to paint my background stamp.

April

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3216#top_display_media

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 08:03:01 AM »
Great entry, April! I love that you tried your Twinkling H2Os!  I had not considered the sparkley paints! Thanks for playing!
~~Heidi~~