Author Topic: AIR17 Stencilled ATCs July15-July23, 2017 *** Winner announced ***  (Read 8981 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Welcome to my challenge.  I hope you're ready to play!

Stencilled ATCs

This challenge requires you to make 2 or more ATCs using stamps and stencils and anything else you choose.   As a reminder ATCs are Artist Trading Cards.  They must be sized at 2 ½ by 3 ½ inches and must be traded, never sold.

I’ve been enjoying some videos made by Joggles.com recently.  They’ve got me itching to make ATCs again.  Below are some videos for inspiration.  Please watch at least the first part of the first video for tips on making a set of 6 ATC backgrounds.  You don’t have to make 6, but I’d like you to make at least 4 backgrounds and then choose 2 to finish in to completed ATCs. 

The following is a rather long video.   Don’t forget if you’d like you can speed it up if you watch on Youtube by clicking on the little cog that says HD over it.  I see the option to watch it at normal, 1.25 times normal or 1.5 times normal speeds. 

This one demonstrates making backgrounds on a group of ATCs – (don't worry, you don't need Dinky Stencils)
It covers
Distress crayons over gessoed Bristol
Sprayed background on 140lb watercolor paper
Watercolor paint on 140lb watercolor paper
Creating ATCs with That's Crafty Dinky Stencils

For more ideas you can watch

Itty Bitty ATC Stencils

or

Distress Oxide Ink ATCs

Requirements :

1.    Choose your background media from one of those demonstrated in the videos or any method of your choice.

2.    Use a stencil somewhere on your ATC, either in the background or as a focal point.  You may use the stencil however you’d like; traditionally, printing with the stencil, tracing, apply glitter or pastes through the stencil, etc. 

3.   Use a stamp on your ATC.  The stamping can also be either the focus of your ATC or used as an accent or in the background.

4.   Make 4-6 ATC backgrounds (see the first video for an easy way to do them all at once).  Complete 2 as finished ATCs so you can keep one and trade one.

5.   Post a picture of your two finished ATCs in the gallery describing how you made them and add a link to it in this forum thread.

6.   Trade one of your ATCs with another participant.  I will draw names for trading partners at the end of the Fest and we will trade by mail.

*** Don't forget to sign and date the back of your ATC.  You can also give it a title.  ***

If you remember to take a picture of your ATC backgrounds, please post it here in the forum.  Though it’s not a requirement, I’d love to see them.  A picture of your 2 finished ATCs goes in the AIR2017 gallery.  Use AIR2017ATC as a key word and ATC in the title to help us find it.

I will draw a name from those who participate and mail the winner a small RAK and one of my own ATCs.

I hope you have fun!

Here are some optional prompts for ATC themes, please suggest any others you may think of :

Whimsy
Summer
Smile
Sports
Girly
Let’s get crafty
Peace out
Boys will be boys
Below are the backgrounds I made.  I started with Distress crayons on gessoed Bristol.  Just as in the first video, I taped down 6 ATCs and added crayon overlapping the seams, then blended them with my finger.  I did flick some water on but I didn't get much of a reaction because I think I waited until after I took the first picture and the distress crayon was probably too dry by then.  The next picture shows how I removed some color by going over a Tim Holtz Dot Fade stencil with a baby wipe.   My last step was to use the pineapple stencil and gold paint.  The lower left ATC is the only one I tried Inka Gold on, but my Inka Gold was really dry so I was struggling. On the remaining 5 ATCs I stencilled pineapples using a little bit of Golden paint on a Ranger round blending foam.

So far I've completed 3 ATCs.  I used two stamps by VivaLasVegaStamps a whimsical flamingo and a sentiment.
I hope to finish the other 3 this week.

I will allow combining this challenge with other challenges that allow combos.
Have fun!  Ask questions.  Share your process and progress. 
When the week is over we'll trade!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:47:20 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: AIR17 Stencilled ATCs July15-July23, 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 06:43:13 AM »
Cindi-your challenge sounds like so much fun!  I love that you are using it as a trading card too.  Oh how I wish my supplies would be easier to uncover.  I did enjoy the distress Oxide video.

PS--do know I almost always mist my Inka Gold-more water when painting with it and a little less when using it as a rub-on.

Thanks for hosting!...Jan

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 07:34:28 AM »
Great challenge, it has been a while since I made any ATCs. I will have fun watching the videos and trying to figure out which background to try!  Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:05:09 AM »
Jan, thanks for the tip on the Inka Gold.  Rather than mess with it in the moment, I switched to paint.  I was afraid to add water until I looked it up somewhere.  Good to know I can give it a spritz of water! 
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 12:43:20 PM »
I couldn't stand it, I just had to finish all 6 of my ATCs while the supplies were out!  I know me.  If I filed the unused backgrounds away somewhere I would never finish them  :knuppel2:

The stamps I used are all from an unmounted rubber plate designed by Mary Vogel Lozinak for VivaLasVegaStamps.  I hope to use some more images from this plate this week.  It's about time I play with them, they've been on my desk far too long, untrimmed.  I used glue stick (tip from Daniel) to adhere the unmounted stamps to my We R Precision Stamp Press and it worked well without being too difficult to clean up.  I'm still trying to get double stick tape residue off.  The glue stick wiped off cleanly with a damp paper towel.

Heidi, the pineapples are not quite as subtle as they appear in the photos.  They have a nice shimmer from the iridescent paint and Inka Gold I used.  I went with the pineapple stencil because I started out thinking I wanted a tropical feel and I wanted to use a flamingo ... that was the idea I had in mind when I started my backgrounds.

Close up of ATC 2

ATC 4 Birdman fishing

ATCs 5 and 6 Fat Fish in Heels
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 12:55:52 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 05:44:31 PM »
I have not done an ATC in many years, you made some cute, fun ATC's!

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 01:13:58 PM »
This will be fun!

April

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 02:53:33 PM »
This was fun, thank you Iring for this challenge.  Here is the finished ATC's.  I just went ahead and finished them all because well, why not.....LOL  I explained in the gallery description how I made these....

Thank you for looking
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:55:34 PM by CarefreeSadie »
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »
Sadie, your ATCs are adorable!  That was a good idea to make your background on one big sheet and then cut it up.  How did you cut them?  Did you round the corners or do you have a punch, or by electronic cutter? 

I'm not familiar with the paint pens you used either.  Are they easy to use?  Your images stand out great against the background.  That is one thing I worry about ... how to stamp and color over some of the mixed media background materials.
Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 06:17:46 PM »
Sadie, your ATCs are adorable!  That was a good idea to make your background on one big sheet and then cut it up.  How did you cut them?  Did you round the corners or do you have a punch, or by electronic cutter? 

I'm not familiar with the paint pens you used either.  Are they easy to use?  Your images stand out great against the background.  That is one thing I worry about ... how to stamp and color over some of the mixed media background materials.

I have a Tim Holtz ATC die that I use.  The Derwent paint pens have been on the market for a long time.  I have had mine maybe four years.  The Dyan Reavely ones came out last fall in black and white and the 6 colors came out after CHA 2017.  I like the Derwent ones better then the Dyan Reavely ones.  They just work better.  I used them because they work over acrylic paint.  I am not in love with either set, but they work on top of acrylic paint so its what I use.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 09:49:54 PM »
Thanks Sadie!  I really can't get enough of your ATCs.  I've been back to look at them a few times!  Those are the coolest combinations of stamps, sentiments, artsy backgrounds and embellishing!  Thanks so much for playing  :smile:
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 01:49:44 PM »
Here are my entries. I used my crayola spray pump to spray over the stencils using markers. It is so hot upstairs that i wanted an easy way to do this that would be quick! LOL!

April :smile:

whole sheet background -- http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3430#top_display_media

ATCs cut from background -- http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3431#top_display_media

my 2 ATCs --  http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3432#top_display_media

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 02:41:44 PM »
Thanks for playing, April.  Your fish ATCs are adorable!  Your embellishments set the perfect scene.  Great idea to get out the crayola pump!
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 04:29:55 PM »
Well I found out why I don't make ATC's much, guess they aren't my thing, first ones I precut the papers and tried to watercolor the backgrounds, that ended up being a disaster and I quit and did another challenge instead. Yesterday I decided to give it another try and this time I just took a big piece of cardstock and sponged on some Oxide inkds and then cut them into the correct sizes before stenciling and stamping each individually.
Here is my orignal background piece

Here is the finished ones
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3440#top_display_media

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 06:30:56 PM »
Thanks for being persistent Connie!  For not being "your thing", you worked on all 6 ATCs, so that is quite an accomplishment!  You're right though ... when we change the size of our "canvas", it's a challenge.  You did a great job!
Cindi