Author Topic: 2017 The Year of the Useless Tools  (Read 2389 times)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
2017 The Year of the Useless Tools
« on: July 25, 2017, 03:11:56 PM »
I just watched a We R Memory Keepers youtube video showing their new tool that will ship in August........I dare you to watch this video and not wonder to yourself why would I need that.  Or wonder something similar.......

Also the Tim Holtz tag press......another already done tool.....we already had the Memory Makers tag maker that actually made larger tags.......did anyone else buy that one, I did and I have to admit I use it every once in a while......but the Tim Holtz one is small and expensive. Here is a video from Simon Says Stamps showing the Tim Holtz tag press......Here it is on Simon Says Stamps for $19.99 and then for around $10.00 a bunch you can buy the rims.......

Then there is the We R Memory Keepers Dial Trimmer which is like having six of those edge scissors that were popular about 20 years ago, anyone else remember those, anyone else still have those?  I do, I also have the creative moments trimmer with two edges on it.  I think I am good in this department. 

Anyone else find anything that is supposed to be new that you already have or have had in the past?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:56:08 PM by CarefreeSadie »
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: 2017 The Year of the Useless Tools
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »
Yep, I remember the old tag makers and I don't think I bought one because I remember people pressing them on the old Sizzix red press.  I think I just bought some of the rings, and they are still here somewhere.  I can't believe she was trimming her images with scissors.  Aren't they standard sized so you could just punch them out?  Doesn't it seem like if people loved tag makers, the old ones would still be around?  And she had to shake it around to get it centered?  That doesn't look like fun.  I think I will pass.

#> Yep, still have the scissors! 
I will be interested to read reviews on the trimmer.  I don't love my current trimmer, in fact I don't even like it very much.  So if it's a good trimmer and has the bonus blades, maybe?  Although it looks like it will take more space.  I doubt I would purchase it.

The washi trimmer?  Hmm, I can see planner people liking it ... I can't see me being that precise in a planner.  But then maybe OCD planners who it would really bug if their washi banners were uneven?  The washi tapes are kind of cute but I will probably stick with scissors.

Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:09:46 AM »
Funny thread!  I do kindof like the trimmer though.  I had one a long time ago with different edges on the trimmer (I feel like the brand was purple cow or something???) but it was huge and HEAVY so I got rid of it. 

I thought the demo of the tape cutter could have been better!  She didn't have a handle on where to cut it.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 10:24:47 AM »
Right, I don't think the demos did a great job! 

I had to go look up to see where the heck Aly Dosdall said she was?  SPC?
So I found

Does this take the place of summer CHA?  which they weren't really calling CHA anymore either?
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 10:31:44 AM »
When Sadie asked about new tools that aren't really new ... the first thing that came to mind (which isn't that new anymore) is the Tim Holtz, Distress Marker Mister.  I had an old one from the kids art section that came with some markers.

I guess I understand he said they were hard to find, or no longer manufactured, so he came out with his.

I wonder how these people get manufacturers to produce a new version of something old that must not have done that well or it would still be on the market?!  Like the mister, and the tag maker.  Seems like a big risk doesn't it?
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 10:35:39 AM »
When Sadie asked about new tools that aren't really new ... the first thing that came to mind (which isn't that new anymore) is the Tim Holtz, Distress Marker Mister.  I had an old one from the kids art section that came with some markers.

I guess I understand he said they were hard to find, or no longer manufactured, so he came out with his.

I wonder how these people get manufacturers to produce a new version of something old that must not have done that well or it would still be on the market?!  Like the mister, and the tag maker.  Seems like a big risk doesn't it?

Good question.  The distress marker mister didn't do that well either?  Did it? I mean, I am sure they sold a bunch because of Tim's name, but I didn't see many people actually using them in their projects...
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 10:42:45 AM »
Funny thread!  I do kindof like the trimmer though.  I had one a long time ago with different edges on the trimmer (I feel like the brand was purple cow or something???) but it was huge and HEAVY so I got rid of it. 

I thought the demo of the tape cutter could have been better!  She didn't have a handle on where to cut it.

Yes it was the purple cow one, I also still have mine and it is huge and heavy....it lives on top of a bunch of storage and rarely gets taken out for a use. 

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 10:45:27 AM »

Yes the mister thingy.....I also have one of those....there really isn't much new under the sun is there? 

I don't know if the manufacturers think that putting the Tim Holtz name on something will get them a share of people's disposable income when the product did not do so well the first time around does not seem like good business sense at all.......

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 10:53:53 AM »
Right, I don't think the demos did a great job! 

I had to go look up to see where the heck Aly Dosdall said she was?  SPC?
So I found

Does this take the place of summer CHA?  which they weren't really calling CHA anymore either?

I think it is like CHA without actually being CHA.....but every single stamp or product company has come out with a summer or what some companies are calling a fall release....so I do not really think they need a "show" to come out with new stuff......

I just found out that American Crafts purchased We R Memory Keepers......I had no idea all the different companies American Crafts have purchased......they own coordinations, bazzill, Heidi Swapp products, Crate Paper, Imaginisce, One Canoe Two, Pebbles, Pink Paislee, Project Life, Sugarbelle, and We R Memory Keepers. 

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 06:29:45 PM »
Actually, I think someone just used the marker mister ... I think it was April. 
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 06:34:29 PM »
Yep!  Here is April's ATC background.  She used the old Crayola mister.  So don't get rid of those oldies but goodies!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 09:53:49 AM »
Yep!  Here is April's ATC background.  She used the old Crayola mister.  So don't get rid of those oldies but goodies!

I stand corrected!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 09:45:36 AM »
Yeah, I looked at all the links you posted Sadie, and I didn't think ooh, I need that for any of them. 

Course, my Fiskar trimmer has different blades for it.  So I have a scallop, deckle, wave and perforation blade for my trimmer.  Unfortunately, you can't really find the different blades at JoAnn's and Michael's anymore.  I also have a collection of decorative edge scissors that I never use.  I think they may be heading to the Goodwill pile.

I don't get the whole decorate your planner trend to begin with, so maybe the tool will be popular with that crowd. 

And sadly, I think there are a lot of people out there that will buy something just because it has Tim's name on it and it is new, whether or not they need it. But I have to say, that tag press was not very impressive.  It looks like it would be a pain in the butt to use.
Sarah

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 10:30:39 AM »
I guess if you used a lot of washi tape, etc. you might want some of these supplies. I like the crayola marker sprayer because it sprays well and fast. I did not like the sprays in the bottles that much because they clog and drip. That is why I got the crayola one. Yes, not all tools are that great. I try to see demos and ask those who have them how they like them before I buy.

April