Author Topic: Watercoloring with ink or paint  (Read 6717 times)

Offline scrapn4keeps

• Stampers
Re: Watercoloring with ink or paint
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 12:27:56 AM »
The sticks sound like fun! Sounds like I need to check out Daniel Smith's site and look at the sticks and brushes.
Betsy

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 10:56:21 AM »
Thanks Molly for the link to all the videos on using the sticks.  Inktense pencils also come in stick form but really I think I might like these better...but still a lot to learn and videos to watch!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:08:01 AM by Far North »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 11:04:33 AM »
Watercolor paper?  My friend Roni over at her blog Ink Stains is reviewing 10 different kinds of watercolor paper for stamping this week.  The first 2 posts were Mon. and Tues and the final will be on Thursday.  The link above is for the 1st post.

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 11:15:29 AM »
Watercolor paper?  My friend Roni over at her blog Ink Stains is reviewing 10 different kinds of watercolor paper for stamping this week.  The first 2 posts were Mon. and Tues and the final will be on Thursday.  The link above is for the 1st post.

Thank you for posting this, it is interesting to see the different ink on the different watercolor papers.  I was a little surprised about which ink did the best on all the papers though. 
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »
Jill Foster from Penny Black posted a new video this week demonstrating how to paint with distress inks and distressing techniques.  She gives several tips.  Link to video

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 05:33:09 PM »
Thanks for posting the link to the watercolor paper and the link to the video, I'm gonna watch it tonight while I jog on the treadmill.

I just got a small pack of rangers watercolor paper to try out.

Has anyone tried the peerless watercolors? I have had my eye on them for a while but haven't purchase yet.  The colors look really vivid, price isn't too bad and I like how they don't take up a ton of space.
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 08:56:46 PM »
I love the video, tfs!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 10:40:24 AM »
Peerless watercolor?  is that a brand…going to go google…  Oh I saw those on someones card blog!  She said she used them and I had to look them up then too---what good my memory did!  lol!  I have not seen them in person….I wondered how they worked also. 

Thank Jan for the video link!
~~Melissa :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »
Wonder if I posted this in the wrong place...It either disappeared or it is somewhere on another thread.

Peerless inks are a very old type of watercolors which is dried onto a paper.  I tried them a long time ago so not sure if they have changed.  It was difficult for me to tell how much ink was on my brush since it was fluid like we are use to and since it is highly pigment it was very easy to waste a lot.  I found it very difficult to try to mix colors. It was too expensive to keep purchasing to replace some of the colors.  I bought a little travel kit instead.

If you are looking for a watercolor kit for travel here is a tutorial to make one.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:43:27 PM by Far North »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 08:26:08 PM »
Oh that is so cute Jan!!  I have several of those tins and I just cannot get myself to recycle them yet encase there was something I could do with them and this looks like that thing!  lol!!!   ;D  I will have to brainstorm what to put the paint in as I do not chew gum, but I may have something I can find!  Thanks Jan for sharing! 
~~Melissa :)

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 10:40:06 AM »
Oh, boy.  I'm totally overwhelmed.  So much wonderful information and links.  Jan, I knew I was saving those Altoid tins for something!  I think my son uses that type of gum too. 

I was surprised to read that tube watercolors are more transparent than pan watercolors.  It's counter-intuitive.  The only tubes I have are some I bought from Judikins, but I've never even used them.  From the price, I'm pretty sure they are a less-than-student grade.  She uses them for background techniques.

I'll be revisiting this thread, working my way through the suggestions and links.  Thank you.  Daria

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2015, 08:49:15 AM »
New watercolor related threads have been started:
1.  LeighAnn started a thread to discuss best paper for coloring with waterbased markers. Here is the link.
2.  I started one about online classes...which now has information about an online classes for cardmakers.  Here is the link

And a new resource for watercoloring-Sandy Allnock created a very informative post on Getting Started with watercolors.
Here is the link.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 09:02:56 AM by Far North »

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2015, 11:51:45 AM »
Thank you Jan for bringing this thread back uo! So much good info here  :smitten:
LeighAnn