Author Topic: Where do you go to learn new techniques?  (Read 3551 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Where do you go to learn new techniques?
« on: October 29, 2014, 11:24:31 AM »
Sadie got me hooked me into watching Clarity Stamps videos on Tuesdays.  Barbara is hoot!

I keep up with Ellen Huston's Classroom posts on Sundays.  Jean Manus frequently does comparative product reviews of items in their store.

Sara Naumann is my new Wednesday video. She covers lots of stamp and mixed media topics and also provides a pdf on the week's project on her blog.

Do know I highlighted the links because when I looked at this post it was hard to tell what are advertisement vs my links.  Well currently those are my top3 places...how about you-where do you go?
Thanks for sharing!...Jan
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:33:26 AM by Far North »

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Re: Where do you go to learn new techniques?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 11:40:27 AM »
I do the youtube!  I just do a search for whatever I want to learn and then watch while I am doing bookwork....LOL.  I learn a lot from the youtube.  I also have several dozen subscribed channels that I watch their older stuff and their new stuff so I can entertain myself all afternoon long watching the youtube.....said in a strange deep voiced tone...

I also check out Splitcoaststampers in their technique threads and then go to the youtube and watch videos about the techniques that interest me.  I also look at splitcoaststampers mixed media challenges which go back a long ways and then go to the youtubes and watch those.  Some of the techniques make no sense to me until I watch other people doing them on the youtubes.....I also keep an eye on what Tim Holtz does on his blog and on the youtubes.....Mr. Holtz has taught me a lot about inks and perfectly imperfect things....

There is a guy I subscribe to on the youtubes called perfectimpulses and he is fun to watch.....he does art journaling and Icads.  He loves to get messy and he actually has taught me quite a bit about getting messy and the different mediums that work together......I just like his methods but I don't use them.....LOL

I also watch the Simon Says Stamps videos, they show a lot of stuff, of course showcasing what they sell but I still find them interesting....especially Shari Carrol, she does an art journal page every week and I learn so much from her......

There are plenty of other people I watch too but these are a few that show different ways of doing things.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:47:57 AM »
Jan, your post is like a tv guide!!  I like it and I have to check it out as well as Sadie's videos too!

I don't get many subscriptions to videos any longer….they just kept accumulating and I kept getting behind watching them.   :-\  But I used to receive from frugal crafter channel after Heidi mentioned her.  She had lots of DIY type of projects for some of the products you buy in the store.  Somehow I got on her email and youtube subscriptions page separately so I was receiving 2 or more emails a day and the email didn't match the youtube project so it was confusing so unsubscribe to stop it. 

I mainly just read the Splitcoaststamper email's I receive. 

I am trying to remember to look to youtube for learning and seeing examples/products/techniques! 
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 08:05:37 AM »
Basicallly, I am watching next to no videos anymore.  But I enjoy StampTV, old and new projects, there often is a technique or cool tip in even the most basic cards.  A lot more techniques in the older videos.

I do like Frugal crafter still, she is a hoot to watch and approaches everything in a way that works for me (with mostly guidelines for doing something, not hard and fast rules.)

I used to watch vendor videos like from the Hero Arts blog, or SSS or whoever.  If I signed into my youtube account, I am sure there is more. 

I hope to sometime check out the ideas here too.

DON'T Forget stampwilly's blog and her Oldies challenge. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 11:03:34 AM »
I look on you tube and Splitcoast Stampers  http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/ . Sometimes I just cruise around on the internet to see where it takes me and I might stumble on something new and different.

Stampwilly

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 10:00:01 PM »
  I have a feeling I might be watching some videos soon!

I also like Splitcoaststampers Wednesday technique tutorials and the frugal crafter.

I had a few marathon video watching episodes with Julie Fei-fan Balzer and Mary Beth Shaw (Stencil girl).

Good thread Jan!

Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 06:17:47 PM »
Wow thanks for sharing your best connections for learning techniques.  I would also be interested in knowing if folks have any good recommendation for on-line classes for techniques.  I hope this is an on-going thread where folks continue to offer suggestions as they have good experiences.

Cindi, did you see that Julie Fei-Fen Blazer is hosting a couple guests each week on her blog to demonstrate their unique and creative use of stencils?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:21:34 PM by Far North »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 07:49:23 AM »
I was about to start a new thread sharing this, but then remembered there was a thread already started.

I was searching ClearSnaps website and found classes, projects, how-to's under their "projects" icon at the top of their website.  I browsed through many of them; some are videos, others are a list of instructions for projects and techniques. 

Here is the direct link to the projects page: ClearSnap projects/classes
~~Melissa :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 09:22:18 AM »
Thanks Melissa for the great addition!  And a wonderful reminder that most every company that makes stamping related products have some educational information on their webite including techniques.

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 03:38:26 PM »
Fun thread, Jan! I'm gonna check out the ones you mentioned because I haven't seen any of those, I think!

I'm a visual learner and find it easier to learn techniques by watching someone do them.
I watch a lot of yt videos. Mostly while I'm on the treadmill, it helps pass the time!
My favorites are the frugal crafter. She just started a free summer stamp school too. She's going to cover lots of how to's and techniques.

Other favorites are Kristina Werner , Jennifer McGuire, StampTv and PennyBlackInc.
Wplus9 and Sandy Allnocks channels have some really good watercoloring videos out there.

I do check splitcoaststampers from time to time too. And here of course! Ive really enjoyed Stampwillys oldies challenges since a lot of the techniques are new to me or I have only done them once or twice!
LeighAnn

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 12:31:56 AM »
Thanks LeighAnn for bringing this thread forward again and sharing your "regulars" on your watchlist!  Probably many of us could add some new favorites.

What timing...Anna-Karin shared her first video tonight on her blog Layers of Ink and You Tube. She shares how to make flowers with Tim's tiny tattered flower die. She always uses so many great details it will be wonderful to watch the process.

...Jan
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:40:34 AM by Far North »

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 01:08:55 PM »
Right now - Pinterest is my source.  I think I will check into what others have talked about.