Author Topic: AIR16: Nighty Night Challenge -- WINNER ANNOUNCED  (Read 8976 times)

Offline djc

• Stampers
AIR16: Nighty Night Challenge -- WINNER ANNOUNCED
« on: June 11, 2016, 03:08:37 AM »
AIR16 -- Nighty Night Challenge

This challenge opens Saturday, June 11, 2016 and ends at midnight (your time) Sunday June 19.

The Challenge:
Create two backgrounds featuring the Pillow-Top Technique and use one of them on a finished card that includes stamping.  You may use all or part of your background piece.  You may die-cut it, but the pattern must still be recognizable after die-cutting.  This technique is a blast from the past.  I learned it four years ago from a Stamp TV video tutorial by Gina K.  (BTW, if you mess up your first piece, you can still post it and count it as one of the two backgrounds required for the challenge.)

It is fun and easy to make this background although I’ve managed to complicate it with my tips and tricks.  Here’s Gina K’s video tutorial for the Pillow-Top Background Technique..  She does this effortlessly without any special tools. 

The first time I made one of these backgrounds, I just eye-balled it the way Gina K. did.  I wasn’t very happy with my results.  Check out the second background on this post:  My First Attempts.  The second try seen on the finished card was better.  Practice helps a lot.

The next time I made the background, I tried to make it easier to keep the spacing the same throughout the piece.  I also made the lines a bit further apart (1/2”).  I liked it much better.  You can see that card and read my tips in this gallery post:  Two Days Later.  If you don’t want to be confused, you might prefer to skip the tips.  Lol.

Requirements:
1.  You must make a new card.  Don't forget to post two background pieces.  (Only one needs to be used on a card.)
2.  Please post your card in the Artsy Inker Gallery set aside for AIR 2016.  Begin the Subject line with AIR16.  Use the keyword, AIR16-Pillow. 
3.  Please link your gallery post to this thread and share your experiences here.
4.  You may combine this challenge with other challenges.

The names of participants who adhere to the requirements will be drawn from my old straw hat to determine who gets a small prize.

I hope you have fun with this and end up with a couple of cool backgrounds.

Daria

ETA:  (07.06.16)  I learned a lot while making my backgrounds and thought I'd share some more tips here in case anyone comes to this thread to learn how to do this technique:

1.  I found I liked the effect best with lines that were not too far apart.  I settled on a half inch space between them.

2.  I also am now using a glass mat that has grid lines on it.  That way, I can temporarily attach the cardstock to the mat so that the opposite corners line up with the same grid line and just move the piece of plastic.  I mentioned this to Cindi, and she suggested putting the grid paper in a page protector if you didn't have a glass mat.  Great idea!

3.  The ink applicator that worked the best for me was Tsukineko's Ink Sweeper, the long, thin ink dauber.  However, start out using what you are accustomed to.  It will probably work best for you.

4.  The hardest part for me was to use a light hand.  No pressure.  I tapped the ink onto the plastic along the edge and then very lightly transferred it to the cardstock.  I had to keep reminding myself to go slowly and not to press down.  It worked better to just go over it a couple of times instead of pressing down to apply ink.

5.  I had great luck using Memories Inks Made for Hero Arts Shadow Stamps.  Yep, that's what they were called.  The colors are soft.  The nice thing about this technique is you can make it what you want, whatever suits the mood of your card--pastel or bright, soft or vivid, serene or wild. 

6.  One more thing.  My rejects, even the worse one, looked great when die-cut with an intricate die.  I used a sentiment die.

Have fun.
Daria

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:40:12 AM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: AIR16: Nighty Night Challenge
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 06:55:19 AM »
I do not think I have ever tried this background, but I have seen it before and it does look really pretty!  Thanks for all the tips and tricks.  I will give it a try!

Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 06:55:34 AM »
PS, cute name for the challenge too!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 08:00:40 AM »
What a cool technique.  Course I can't draw a straight line with a rule so I suspect this will be a challenge for me.   :smile:  Thanks for hosting.
Sarah

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 09:47:40 AM »
Sarah, I couldn't either.  That's why I used a piece of thin plastic and used a ruler to draw an indelible line a half inch from the edge--instant straight line and spacing!  Plus, by starting the dauber or ink applicator on the plastic, you avoid getting too much ink on the background piece.  You need to leave enough light space in each diamond-shaped space so it will have a puffed up look.

Give it a try.
Daria
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 10:02:36 AM by djc »

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 05:52:52 PM »
I made two of them, one on vintage photo, and one in mustard seed.
I put the brown behind my warm up water color because it matched.
And the yellow behind my yellow flowers.  I think I like the darker one better.
I remember doing something similar, but can't remember what!
I used a thin stencil for my straight line and started my ink on the stencil higher then the paper.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 10:43:23 PM »
Yankee, your cards are wonderful.  I love the bright, cheerful yellow one, and I was blown away by the beautiful vintage floral.  The backgrounds are just perfect. 

Yankee's Vintage Card

Yankee's Yellow Daffodils

Thank you for playing.
Daria

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 05:59:20 PM »
I made the background, now just need to put it together into a card!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 06:17:29 PM »
My first one was so bad!  I did get a decent one done today and will need to get it put into a card.
~~Heidi~~

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 06:47:37 PM »
Yea, my first one went in the trash, LOL My trash is getting full.   :laughhard:

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 11:09:54 PM »
Kathy, that's why I required two pieces!  My first one got trashed too.  lol.  I know you won't give up.  I saw your gorgeous Blend It! entry and all the ones that came before it.  Take a picture; the trashed one counts as one of the two!

Good Luck.
Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 09:04:38 AM »
I was able to complete my card this morning.  Here is my entry and here is the discarded background.

I did note my process in the gallery, but I would also add that I tried a color duster brush (I did not photo this attempt) and it simply did not work for this as a blending tool.  It was too little color and you don't get a nice line.  Plus, my color dusters seem to fall apart easily. 

It was fun to do this technique,  it is really pretty!
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 09:35:09 AM »
Heidi, I just saw your gorgeous card and your "discarded" piece.  I sure hope you didn't throw that out.  If you don't want to use it or the "good" half on a card, how about die cutting it?  I wonder what that would look like.

Thanks for the tips about the color duster and the thickness of the plastic.  I'm surprised your color dusters fell apart; I've never had one do that--probably because I don't use them often.  You're sure right about the coverage, it's very different than using an ink applicator--more like an air-brush look.

Thank you for playing.  I love your card.
Daria

ETA:  I'm visiting one of my sisters today; I'll check in as soon as I return.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:11:45 AM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 11:51:29 AM »
I wonder if my set of color dusters is just defective. I have had a lot of trouble with them.  I may try to glue them in better with a glue gun and see if that helps. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 01:39:52 PM »
Thanks Daria for your challenge.  It has been some time since I have played with this technique, and really love it.  I think my card came out rather on the bright side, but here it is.

Nora S

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2726#top_display_media