Author Topic: New summer releases?  (Read 2441 times)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
New summer releases?
« on: August 23, 2016, 02:13:05 PM »
I get the emails from A Cherry on Top, Scrapbook.com, Simon Says Stamps, Cricut, and several other craft supply companies.  I have been getting the new product emails from the mid summer releases.  Wow is all I can say, they all look exactly like the last few new product releases.  Tim Holtz came out with more colors in the distress color line, they will be bringing out two sets every other month for the rest of the year so the distress colors will have all the same colors as the other distress lines.  Not excited about that either.  Tim has a video on the youtubes comparing the distress colors to gelatos.  I never thought I would see the day when Tim Holtz did a comparison video using another companies product.  It doesn't even sound like him but it is him doing the video. 

Here is the video
https://youtu.be/YWMTgy5nCKQ
But the paper that is supposed to be "new" is not eye catching, it is not "new" it looks like some old paper back from the days of the big books of 48 pages of paper with three of each type of thin paper that was sold 15 years ago.  I guess it is true everything comes around again.

Have you found anything great in the new mid summer releases?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:14:37 PM by CarefreeSadie »
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: New summer releases?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 02:30:01 PM »
Well, I guess enough people did get the Distress crayons for them to release all the colors. I would buy a white one for stenciling.

The summer releases that I have seen were the Halloween and Christmas stamp lines.  So Hero Arts has their holiday catalog out and I think Art Impressions and Stampendous also came out with some new stamps. 

~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 09:05:16 PM »
Thanks for the video!  Maybe I will like my distress crayons better once I try the stencil techique.  I haven't seen too many new products, but that's probably a good thing!  No room in the inn!
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 11:13:43 AM »
I recently listened to a podcast with a few card designers who regularly participate in new release blog hops and create technique ideas for new products. They expressed feeling new releases were coming too frequently. And I totally agree that the varied schedules certainly makes it difficult to see all the similar choices before purchasing for a season.  I think we see more frequent small releases with small companies who don't have the finances to cover large release.  And I believe this is the first year we don't have a CHA event in the summer to showcase fall and winter products.

Ellen Hutson also released a late summer stamp collection last week.  They are mostly more flowers and small stamps of fun items.  My favorite is a peony set which I would use in early summer (closer to when they are in bloom) and it costs over $20.00.   That's my mental budget braking point for stamps--a stamp set has to be very special for me to spend more.  Do you have a mental limit for spending on stamps?? 

Penny Black also released new fall and winter products this past week.  Some great stamps but nothing totally new...I guess we are still catering to all the scrapbookers turned cardmakers who still don't have at least 50 different Christmas stamps. 

I think TH should have created a different name for the distress crayons (DC).  I have watched a few talented designers videos in which they compared DC to other crayons expecting them to be able to do the same thing and then never presented the key features of DC. I think the name has caused great confusion on how to use the DC.  I think that is why we are seeing another marketing launch.  As well as several other products that the manufactures feel still have significant sales potential. 

Sadie-what company is selling the paper pad?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 01:23:50 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 07:38:28 AM »
Jan, were you speaking of the Crafty Chats from Online card classes with Jennifer McGuire, Kristina Werner and the gal from Understand Blue?  I just commented on your thread for those chats regarding the frequent small releases.

In addition to the comments I made on the other thread, I think we see a lot of releases for small themed "kits" and things similar to kits. 

~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 09:30:05 AM »
I was wondering which paper pad Sadie was referring to also.  I searched, I think it was Simon (or Scrapbook.com?) for "new" and "paper".  I noticed Lawn Fawn came out with a bunch of new plaids.  Of all the stuff that came out last spring, the plaid paper pad was something that caught my eye.  Now there's more!

I didn't think I had a conscious break point for stamp prices, but yeah, I don't like to spend a ton.  I probably think twice if it's over $15, especially if I can't use a coupon or find it on sale.  But then again, sometimes "SALE!!" triggers a purchase when it probably shouldn't.
Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 10:23:56 AM »
The big paper pad that the "new" releases of paper looks like to me was from 15 years ago I do not remember the company who released them.  Sorry for the confusion.  The paper that reminded me of that pad was from now. 
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 08:53:06 AM »
ohhhhh, it's not a new, big paper pad!  It looks like the old, big paper pads!  Got it.  In my head, "I don't need more paper, I don't need more paper, I don't need more paper ..."
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 11:16:05 AM »
Thanks for the clarification on the paper pad.  I was unclear if it was a Ranger or Tim Holtz product as they have released so many new paper and substrate products in the last year it is hard to keep them all straight.  Particularly since some of their products are now packaged in different sizes.