Author Topic: INF14 The Shadow Knows Challenge -- Winner Announced  (Read 16692 times)

Offline djc

• Stampers
Re: INF14 The Shadow Knows Challenge
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2014, 05:26:59 PM »
April, that turned out great.  You've given me another way to feature that cardinal image.  The last time I used it, I CASED one of Nora's cards  and ended up making a bunch of those so I'll have to wait a while before using it again.  lol.

Daria 

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 01:48:34 PM »
Lol! My DH would probably be embarrassed that I told y'all he went to a craft store for me ;D. He's a keeper for sure. He's often went craft shopping with me and even has picked me out stamps and stuff before. Who knows maybe one day he will want to stamp too O0.

He didn't find anything BUT - I had a marker that had a fine tip that had dried out. I rubbed my versamarker ink pad with it as I traced along the outline of my image and it worked! I will upload it when I get it mounted to a card base. I love this technique so next craft order I make I'm gonna order a versamarker. Thanks for introducing us to this technique, Daria!
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2014, 02:13:31 PM »
What a lovely technique.  I did get white on my versamarker even after letting my quick drying pigment ink dry overnight, but I just sortof drew it off on the back of my hand as I went along and all was fine.

Thanks for offering this fun challenge!

All Purpose card
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2014, 08:22:31 PM »
This was a really great technique! I wasn't able to find a versamarker or any other type of embossing pen in any of our local stores so I made do with what I had. I did try to pick up the ink with one of those fantastix but it didn't pick up ink too well. I have some old markers that I was pretty sure some of the ink in them had dried up. I found a pale pink one that had. So i loaded the marker nib worth versamark ink and traced along the outline of my images. I will be purchasing one of those markers for sure! It really gives a nice creation of depth.

I think some other inksters had mentioned some paper not working too well and I had trouble with cardstock that had texture to it. The CS I used is the Recollections brand, I think. It's pretty thin and has a smooth texture.

Thank you, Daria! I loved this technique
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=631
LeighAnn

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2014, 10:07:05 AM »
Heidi and LeighAnn, I just saw your cards in the gallery.  Beautiful, beautiful work! 

Heidi, what brand white pigment ink did you use that didn't dry overnight?  I think I'll stay away from that one.

Also, I saw Cindi's card again, and I really think it qualifies for this challenge.  She used the VersaMarker on the inside on the image instead of the outside--a terrific variation, I think--another way to highlight the image with a VersaMarker.  I think that's a bit harder than outlining since you have to be careful to keep the width of the line the same throughout.  Otherwise, you would lose the lighter bordering areas. 

Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2014, 10:51:54 AM »
Nora, Heidi, and Cindi:

Please edit your gallery post and put in the keyword for this challenge:  TSKINF14.

Then your cards will show up with the other ones HERE.

If you don't do this, they will still count for this challenge, but they won't show up in that gallery and they won't show up in a search using the keyword.

Thank you to everyone who has participated.  We still have one more day to go.  I haven't done any of the challenges yet (except my own sample cards).  It looks like it's the Second Chance Challenge for me!

Daria

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2014, 11:05:39 AM »
Ok, here is my finished card... well except for a sentiment which I always leave off until I decide what to use the card for.

Shadow Daisy

I stamped my image with white Brilliance. Then I colored it with Inktense pencils. Added the dotted lines around the outside then rounded the bottom corners.

I thought it still needed something so I found my gold sticker bee and added it.

This was a fun challenge!

Edited! I had another thought on my bee! So I am changing my card yet again. When it's finished I will replace the picture. I am putting the bee on acrylic and fussy cutting him, then bending and making his wings stick up.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:32:59 AM by SWLady »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2014, 11:48:19 AM »
Daria, I used Avery Elle white pigment ink.  It actually dries quickly, but my Versamarker must be really juicy because if I got it on the white ink at all, the ink rewet and stuck on the tip of my marker.  That is why I just drew that off on my hand.  I actually like my Avery Elle inkpad better after this challenge.

And TY for letting me know I had the code wrong fro your challenge.  I fixed it and it shows up now.
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2014, 02:03:15 PM »
Edited! I had another thought on my bee! So I am changing my card yet again. When it's finished I will replace the picture. I am putting the bee on acrylic and fussy cutting him, then bending and making his wings stick up.
Kathy, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this sort of thing!  I love the card you've already posted.

Thanks for updating the keyword, Heidi.

Daria

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2014, 02:38:47 AM »
Thanks Daria for hosting a terrific challenge!  I finally made time to see your other posting of your individual inspiration cards for this challenge.  It was great to see how much the backgrounds changed the feel of each card.  TFS!

I finish a card for this challenge.  It was lots of fun!  It can be see here.
Thanks!...Jan

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2014, 11:32:30 AM »
Jan, when I saw those birch trees, I thought you'd used the stamp I've picked out to add to my Wish List--by Taylored Expressions.  I was surprised to see that you'd used a stencil!  Great job with the markings and shading.  Thank you for that tip to prolong the life of the marker's tip.  I'm glad it enabled you to finish outlining the moose.  I always think of you when I see images that make me think of Alaska's wildlife. 

Thank you for playing.
Daria

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2014, 11:33:15 AM »
I wanted to show my card here, but it doesn't qualify b/c I made it combined with Heidi's challenge.  I'll post it just as an example for others etc.

whale and lighthouse card

Back with my "real" challenge entry in a second….
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 11:56:30 AM by yellowcherrios »
~~Melissa :)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2014, 11:39:32 AM »
Here is my real entry for the shadow challenge:

birdie card

I enjoyed this challenge Daria and your cards really gave me inspirations for finishing off the stamp/die-cut.  TY for a fun challenge and also another idea for the Versamark marker!

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2014, 11:42:39 AM »
I am so glad we have tags, b/c when I first clicked on Jan's link here in the thread, it took me to her acrylic swirly mixed media card; then just now it took me to her ATC challenge card!  I was going to ask what her card looks like so I could look for it, but then I remembered the tag assignments!  and I searched in the search box for the tag name and it worked!

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2014, 01:35:21 PM »
Melissa, thank you for sharing both of those cards.  I couldn't see the outlining on the whale card, but I could see it on the birdhouse card.  Is it fairly obvious on the whale card in real life?  I haven't tried the technique on anything that dark yet.  Both cards look great.

I know what you mean about the keywords.  Being able to search for those in the gallery is a huge help.

Thank you for playing.

Daria