Author Topic: Coloring with Sharpies on non-porous materials  (Read 4935 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Coloring with Sharpies on non-porous materials
« on: July 29, 2015, 12:55:47 PM »
As I've shared, I have been playing with stamping (& colouring) on beverage can metal with an eye to making saleable items.

Although I have a good range of StazOn colors for the actual stamping, I've been using (mostly) Sharpies to color both images & backgrounds since they are readily available @ reasonable cost & work on non-porous surfaces such as metal, glass, (glazed) ceramic & various plastics. My greatest 'problem', however, has been getting a non-smeary look to the marker-coloring--especially in larger areas.

One thing I have discovered (rediscovered?) is that when I color with alcohol markers on non-porous materials, I keep a paper napkin/towel in my 'free' hand. That way I can blot off the marker ink as I go to avoid unwanted dots & smears.

Has anyone else done this? And...Do you have tips to share about marker-coloring on non-porous materials?

While I have done 'mad scientist' mode for quite some time, I would really like to be able to load & stamp with my alcohol markers. I've done a bit of net search to see if anyone has conquered this, but doesn't appear that they have. My current thinking is that for this to work, you'd need an 'activating' something. Not sure what might work, but may see what I can come up with.  ;)
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Coloring with Sharpies on non-porous materials
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 01:44:31 PM »
Hi Daniel. I have often wondered about loading stamps with alcohol based markers and then misting with alcohol and stamping.  I really think it would work, but it might be a big pain.  I wonder if you could blend your marker spots with a q tip with a tiny bit of alcohol on it? I think it would leave a textured look, but maybe a pleasing one. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 05:31:57 PM »
Yup been using Sharpies for years...particularly on non-porous surfaces.  Permanent markers that contain alcohol like Sharpies will behave similiar to alcohol ink. When touched with rubbing alcohol or blending solution the ink will likely run, mix or blend.

The really testy coloring occurs when one is adding a 2nd layer of color to area that is already dry.  Since the new color contains wet rubbing alcohol it will dissolve the 1st color often making a muddy mess and also discoloring the 2nd marker. 

To recover the marker-run it over scrap paper until the messy color disappears--waiting too long is not a good thing.  To avoid this issue try not run your markers over an already colored area.  If an area needs recoloring use rubbing alcohol to remove first layer. 

Misting rubbing alcohol on non-porous surface colored with AI will result in a textured and blended piece....also nice on clear acrylic pieces.

I suspect trying to stamp with AI markers after misting with rubbing alcohol could led to a very messy adventure...not one I want to try.

Other things to play with on metal-embossing with cuttlebug; heat embossing.   Other surfaces-light plate switch covers.

Daniel hope you share your results with us!  Have fun!....Jan

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 01:34:13 PM »
Good discussion. I have had problems with Sharpies too for the same reason. Not sure that can be remedied.

I just tried coloring with my Spectrum Noirs on a solid stamp and spritzing lightly with 91% alcohol. My first try didn't work because I spritzed too much. I LOVE how the second try turned out and I got an added plus of having a very clean stamp afterwards! I then washed it off again with the baby wipe and dried it because I do not know what the alcohol might do to the rubber.

Anyway here is the link to my pear that i did on a scrap of card stock. I love the marbled effect sort of like we get on glossy paper.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1848#top_display_media

Stampwilly ;D

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 03:20:25 PM »
Now you've gotten me on a roll! I stamped on glossy card stock using alcohol markers and love it! here is the link.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1849#top_display_media

Stampwilly ;D

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 05:23:40 PM »
Way to go, Stampwilly!  You tried it and it worked so well!  Super cool!
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 11:00:28 AM »
I haven't used Sharpies on stamps but I have used Faber Castell Pitt pens.  They work really well.  They seem to stay wet long enough to stamp.  They are supposed to be made with india ink.  I will have to try my sharpies and see how that works.  Stampwilly's stamping is just lovely.  It seems to be a totally different look then waterbased markers or pitt pens.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 11:26:53 AM »
Happy to see all the posts on the topic. TY!

I looked up 91% alcohol. Might try to get some & play with it. Great tryouts, Willy!!! TY! Your method of spritzing is very much what I'm thinking of when I say using an 'activator' on non-waterbase inks. I'm wondering if acetone-based polish remover might also 'activate' alcohol inks? Might just see if I can find a bottle of that, too.

I finished embossing & coloring the dragon. It's not bad looking. I did some marker blending, as well as tip 'thumping' on it to get the look. And I'm experimenting with tooling the metal both before & after coloring. It produces different results. Ditto for tooling the face & reverse of the metal. But that's not really 'new' to me--done it for some time previously.
Daniel

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 11:35:05 AM »
I thought it was dangerous to spritz alcohol ... any thoughts on that?  I'd worry about the acetone too.  Be careful out there. 
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 11:06:10 AM »
I just got a product called GlazOn.  It is intended to be used with StazOn inks which are solvent based.  The idea is that you apply a coat of this stuff in between layers of the ink.  I am going to try it a bit with Ranger alcohol inks, but I bet you could put it over a stamped image (with StazOn) and then color over that with sharpies.

Another idea would be to apply the sharpie first in general areas and then stamp over it. 

If I were spritzing alcohol, I would do it by an open window and try not to inhale any of it directly. I do not think it is a huge no-no, but some people like to be very very safe. 
~~Heidi~~