Author Topic: Doubling up with Embossing Folders  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Doubling up with Embossing Folders
« on: August 03, 2015, 11:42:41 AM »
As I continue to explore possibilities with can metal, I have begun to play more with my embossing folders.

For one piece I used both sides of a single folder--a floral--to create a BG on a diecut. The result was still very identifiable as floral & looks good with the butterflies I stamped, fussy cut & attached to it.

For another piece, I used 2 different folders. I embossed first with a small checkerboard pattern & then embossed it again with a strong leaf pattern folder. Again, the results were pretty good.

Although I'm working mostly on metal, I'm wondering how others may have used a single or multiple of folders on BGs & even focal items.
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: Doubling up with Embossing Folders
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »
I have made some backgrounds using 2 or more embossing folders. I looked through my stash and found a few. On the first ones I embossed on top of each other and used 2 different colors of ink to enhance the patterns. I noticed that the flower background is upside down!

On the second backgrounds I used 3 different embossing folders apart from each other.

Stampwilly

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1853#top_display_media

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1854#top_display_media

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 09:26:23 AM »
I saw a tutorial on Splitcoast  (I think) where they used an embossing folder one way (embossed) and then flipped the paper and used the same folder to deboss.  I thought that was a cool idea. 

I love your samples April!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 10:42:18 AM »
TY for the shares, April! Especially the narrow folders. I have several of those & will see how they work on what I'm doing.
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:37:38 PM »
Heidi that technique sounds neat. I think I will try that to see what happens.

Stampwilly

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 12:37:43 PM »
Heidi. That 'flipping the EF' is what I did for one of my pieces. Do you have a link to that tutorial? Thanks for sharing what you saw, pal!
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 06:56:44 PM »
Daniel, it took me a little bit to find the tutorial, but here it is!  Let me know if what you did was similar. I have not had a chance to try it yet. 

http://rainy.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/2011/06/27/in-and-out-embossing-2/
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 10:44:11 AM »
April I really like your example with narrow EF.  Unfortunately I have only 1 or 2 narrow EF.  I don't see them in our stores locally...is there a specific company selling them?  I find it very difficult to purchase EF online because so many of the pictures are not clear....also many people don't identify EF when they post projects.  Consequently I find myself using stencils more than my EF for combinations. 

Most of my combos with EF are either smaller portions of folders or like Daniel described a background and embossed die cut. 

Thanks Heidi for the technique link!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 10:46:05 AM by Far North »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 02:33:18 PM »
Thanx for the link, Heidi. Yeah. My doubling up on EFs is 'kinda sorta' along those lines. Using both faces of the same EF is very interesting, but combining different EFs is equally so.

I hearya on finding the narrow EFs, Jan. Good luck, pal. What I really find challenging with narrow EFs is that you can 'lose' some of the embossing when you make multiple passes thru your embossing machine. Not sure how to overcome that aspect.
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 12:19:04 PM »
Take a look, Cindi used this double embossing in the invitations she used for her daughters wedding!  How pretty!

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastcom&cat=0&pid=1863&msg_id=8799&page=1#comment8799
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 07:37:50 AM »
TFS, Heidi. I like the embossed & debossed trees on the invitation.
Daniel

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 11:12:46 AM »
Thanks for linking up the wedding invite Heidi!  I just now found this discussion.  Off to see what everyone else has linked.
Cindi