Author Topic: Creative Challenge - Ombré  (Read 1521 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Creative Challenge - Ombré
« on: March 30, 2020, 08:03:26 AM »
Ombré Challenge

My challenge is to make an ombré card.  You can use whatever ombré technique you like, but it must be light to dark in one color family, (not multicolor or rainbow).

You must have image stamping on your card. 

You may combine with any other challenges.

If that is too broad of a challenge for you, feel free to use one of the two techniques I used in my sample cards.

Sample one: Ombré stamping
Use the same stamp to create a background with light, medium and dark colors.  For mine I used 3 different blue inkpads and a border stamp.  Lots of stamps would work, it doesn’t have to be a border. 

Sample: http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4838#top_display_media

Sample two:  Ombré watercolor wash
Using any watercolor paint (or reinkers, etc) on watercolor paper, start with a rich color on the top, then keep adding more water to the paint to get a lighter and lighter color as you go.

Sample:  http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4839#top_display_media

Video resources:
The Mind of Watercolor:  https://youtu.be/R8qhw4EXb08
Note that he is using tube watercolors and his table is setup at an angle so gravity helps him.  I prefer to tape my paper on a board so I can tilt it while painting. Also you can get a nice white edge that way. 

Kristina Werner: https://youtu.be/iYyucQJM82s
She shows a little less fussy way of doing this with a big flat brush.

I also want to say that you don’t have to do this perfectly to get a great background to stamp over. I think it is pretty forgiving.  Streaky is a nice look too! It doesn’t have to be flat.

I am really looking forward to what you will share!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 08:20:54 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Creative Challenge - Ombré
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 08:24:25 AM »
Here is another example from last summer where I did the ombré watercolor background.

http://mylittlestampingblog.blogspot.com/2019/08/ombre-watercolor-background.html

I had an easier time controlling the paint when I was using my pan watercolors. It is probably just practice as I am still not used to the richness of the tube watercolors I have been using lately. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 09:08:19 AM »
Thanks, Heidi. I have an idea for this. Your samples are wonderful.

April :smile:

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 11:58:07 AM »
Yep, I'm hatching a plan too!  Thanks for the challenge and the lovely samples.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 03:44:01 PM »
I really wanted to work on your challenge this afternoon, but I can't find my roll of watercolor brushes  ???
What I did find was a BIG #30 round watercolor brush, so I made some BIG ombre backgrounds!  8 pieces of 5.5 by 8.5 Canson watercolor paper!  I used Cotman tube watercolors from a class I took way back.  Some look better than others.  I have lots of backgrounds to play with now!

Not a great picture ... I was too lazy to climb on a step stool to get the whole scene without a shadow.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:54:02 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 06:03:59 PM »
Wow, those are so pretty!  They look like Easter egg colors to me.  Now you need to decide what to stamp on them!

Thanks for getting started so quickly!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 07:15:25 PM »
Thanks!  I was going for Easter colors.
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 09:42:51 PM »
will have to give this a try tomorrow :)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 09:53:16 PM »
Thank you for this challenge Heidi.  I hope to play with my backgrounds all week!
I watched The Mind of Watercolor video you linked.  I really like his videos.

In a way I did combine this with another challenge ... April's.  I got this dog stamp out last week trying to use her rub on watercolor technique, but I wasn't having any success so I just stamped and watercolored it "the Art Impressions way".   It was just waiting to be assembled.

This dog reminds me a bit of my sister's new puppy.  It will be her Easter card this year.

Easter dog
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 08:00:51 AM »
Well done, Cindi!  Thank you for doing my challenge!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 01:49:24 PM »
Here is my entry. I used some cheap watercolor swatches that I mounted inside a small book. It is portable to take places. A stamping friend and I bought swatches together at a stamp show, cut them in half and made our little books many years ago! I can't remember what stamp company had these.

April :smile:

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4842#top_display_media

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 03:09:14 PM »
That watercolor resist pad is a neat product!  Love your card, April, thank you for participating!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 09:10:07 PM »
April, were those Peerless watercolors?  I split mine with a friend too! 
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 04:03:38 PM »
Cindi, they could be Peerless watercolors. They are flat swatches with color on them. You use a wet brush to activate them.

April

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 10:13:28 PM »
April, I bet that's what they are.  I took mine to Denver in February.  Easy for traveling.
Cindi