Author Topic: Creative Challenge - Partial Stamping with Background Stamps. 4/6/2020 4/12/2020  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Hi homebound peeps! 

It is my turn to host the creative challenge to help you stay creative and sane!  Sorry I am posting early.  I might be gone much of tomorrow.  MIL has an eye appt for her macular degeneration in an office that posts a sign that says expect to be there, I think its 2-4 hours.  Ugh!!! 

On to the challenge : Partial stamping with background stamps

Please take one of your backgrounds left over from previous challenges or play times and do some partial stamping on it.  I was motivated to do this challenge because in the Virtual Card Making class that I took a week ago, we did some partial stamping over a brayered background.  I wasn't happy with my partial stamping!  We spend so much time trying to get perfectly stamped images, that it goes against the grain (mine anyway) to stamp something incompletely!  So I need practice with the partial stamping technique and maybe you do too?

Here is a video showing what I'm talking about.
Stamping with Background Stamps - Inky backgrounds

In the video Christine of ScrapTimeVideos shows how to ink a background stamp and kind of roll it on to your background so you get a little pattern/texture here and there.  If you can't see the video, let me know and I'll try to describe it to you.

That method works great if your background stamp is unmounted.

If your background stamp is wood mounted (or you just want to try a different method)  I have another suggestion.  You can ink your stamp completely, then wipe away random areas with a baby wipe.  This gives dark and light areas, and maybe if you clean well enough, some vacant areas.

If you don't have any pre-made backgrounds lying around, ink one up quick with any method you choose.  ScrapTimeVideos just did an inky background series in March.  I'm sure you can find some ideas there.

Don't worry if your background isn't perfect!  It's supposed to be that way, and it's a background ... cover up what you don't like, ha!

I hope you have time to play with this technique and use one of your backgrounds to make a completed card, ATC, bookmark, whatever.  If you remember, please take a pic of the background alone, and another with the completed piece, and link up here.

The first two pictures show some backgrounds I made where I don't particularly like the partial stamping I did.   In class she demoed only partially inking the background stamp, but I got harsh lines that way.

The next picture shows some better examples.  The two pieces on the left show the baby wipe technique, the two on the right show the flex your unmounted stamp and roll it on technique.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 09:12:17 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Looks like fun technique, I think I have a couple backgrounds left, that might work for this :)
I have seen where you use your finger dauber and just add ink in random places before stamping and you don't get as harsh lines that way

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Great tip, Connie!  That makes sense.  When I inked with an ink pad I got a definite line of demarkation.  If anyone tries this ink dauber technique, please share here!  Maybe I will get a chance to try it as well.
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Great challenge Iring!

This technique can actually be done with any sized stamp...smaller stamps are much easier to handle.  Also inking with small inkcubes makes it easier.  I liked that Christine focused on these stamps in the background as texture images not a specific support to the focal image.

...Jan
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 03:39:09 PM by Far North »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
This looks fun! I have tons of backgrounds so I will get to work! :smile:

April

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4863#top_display_media

I used a background I did with alcohol inks and stamping and embossing then , adding more alcohol and running it through die machine to make a print.  Lots of fun!  It was on Jennifer Utube channel.
I stamped three different stamps in three different colors ink.  I was trying to make it look like a barnyard with scrubby grass and small rocks.  My focal is a pig that was gifted to me.

Jennifer called Background alcohol ink lift. On her utube channel.
She does good demos and I can usually get good results.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 05:11:59 PM by Yankee »
Born on the fourth of July

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Here is my card entry and my backgrounds are below. I had a hard time selecting which background I wanted to use. I liked all of them! I just pulled out a few bgs that I had in my stash and used this fun technique on them. Thanks for the fun challenge!

April :smile:

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4864#top_display_media

Offline Iring

• Stampers
I'm glad you had fun with this, April! 

In her gallery post, April said, " So keep those bgs that you don't like because you never know when you can use them later.", in regard to taking backgrounds she was not so fond of and getting something she liked.

So true!  The owner/teacher at my LSS says something similar in her art journal classes.  "If you don't like what you made, you're just not finished yet."

I'm glad partial stamping was the finish you needed!  Your card is wonderful!  I love the way the black and white bird stands out against your bright background.  You always find just the right embellishments.  The yellow flower on the bird and the sequins are just right.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Great challenge and I need to get working on it.  It has become clear that I must craft best when I am alone in the house. And I haven’t been alone in the house for about 4 weeks now.  Still need to figure out how to get some crafting done!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Your backgrounds all look great April.

Heidi you don't have a craft room do you?  I didn't realize how much I didn't mind hubby going away for work until he has been working from home, he has his work space in the living room, which makes it hard to watch tv in the evening if he is having to make a lot of phone calls but I am thankful that I can go away into my craft room still, just like I use to before and have my crafting time.  Is there anyway you can put a small table or something up in your bedroom that you can shut the door to everyone and get some crafting time in?

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Heidi I was so sorry to hear on the morning news that PA has determined that school will remain closed thru this school year. I hope you can work a regular break time into each day.  Perhaps that would be "the guys time without you being involved.  Are you teaching the boys how to cook? Wow that would be a great practical skill to teach them over the next months.  Please take care of yourself...Your deserve some quiet time
each day. Sending good thoughts and prayers...Jan
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:29:30 PM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
I know what you mean, Heidi! 

That is part of the reason I signed up for the Virtual Card Making class.  I need "me time"!  I put out my supplies on the dining room table ahead of the class time and I make it obvious, I am taking a paid class.  In other words, "do not disturb"! 

Uh oh, just realized, last time class was from 6-8pm.  This time it is from 4-6pm.  DH has been working at the dining room table.  Tonight he finally quit around 6:15.  We might have to fight for space, haha!  Hmmm, I might have to relocate or spend the day clearing space in the craft room. 

I made 2 ATCs playing with partial stamping and my new Paper Artsy stamps.  I've been looking at them for a day or two and finally I decided I needed to dangle a carrot over her head!

ATCs

Cindi

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
Here are two samples of the BG pieces I used for this fun challenge. 

Nora S

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4867#top_display_media

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
Here is one of the cards I made using the blue BG.  I almost thru this BG away, as I thought it was rather bright. 

Nora S

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4868#top_display_media

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
Here is the other card for this fun challenge! Thanks for the challenge!

Nora S

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=4869#top_display_media