Author Topic: Alcohol Ink Challenge Series  (Read 28939 times)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Re: Now Open--Alcohol Ink Challenge Series
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2015, 04:47:16 PM »
Well, I think I got the first 3 challenges or at least the backgrounds made.  I haven't made any cards yet with these backgrounds.  This was fun.  I used Canon photo paper because I ordered glossy card stock but it hasn't come yet and I had some time and wanted to get started on the alcohol ink Challenges.

Agate Background

Challenge 2 a place to stamp.

Challenge 3 Backgrounds- Stripes.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2015, 08:44:37 AM »
I received my alcohol inks last evening!  yeah!   :D  and I do have a question---to double check---

For week 1: are we to do all 3 challenges?  or are those 3 challenges you list for each of the 3 weeks?
~~Melissa :)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2015, 08:45:44 AM »
lol!  oh wait---I see now after I posted the question---I see Sadie's examples of showing each challenge for this week, lol! 

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2015, 12:27:25 PM »
I am really enjoying seeing what is in the gallery.  I have been busier than normal this week so I have not been able to complete the challenges yet, but I plan to.

~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2015, 01:47:38 PM »
Here is my first piece: first attempt and final BG

I am wondering if the felt surface can change the outcome....I tried a few different felts I have that felt different to my fingers at least, and I noticed that some of the shapes I saw showing up on the glossy CS resembled the shaped the ink made along the FIBERS of the felt....it seems when I add AI to my felt, it doesn't make the nice circle like in the videos below---it makes more of a "lake" shape. 

Have you noticed this with your felts Jan (or others who use homemade felts)?

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2015, 01:51:27 PM »
Here is my piece making stripes---I liked how it faded so I left it as-is:  striped AI piece

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2015, 01:59:48 PM »
Here is my second attempt---the stripes were my third attempt--and I included photos of what it started out as and then finally ended as:
second attempt at agate BG

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2015, 02:05:38 PM »
Lol, Jan--I suppose I should had done this all under one posting:  but here is my final attempt and one that I think looks like agate---oh the others I show kinda do to, but this was the first one I did that I didn't have to add more to like the other two attempts:

agate BG

I should had reread the challenges one more time before going forth inthe craft room, b/c I didn't make a BG where I used the BF to clear an area for stamping--so I'm off to do that now!

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2015, 02:59:29 PM »
Oh Heidi I hear ya' life is busier here too than I anticipated...but I to am enjoying all the new pieces in our gallery!...it is so colorful  :smitten:

Melissa, I see you did fine with trying the challenges...this week is all about getting comfortable with ways to use the products. The backgrounds will look a lot different once they are stamped and perhaps even cut down or diecut for on a card. If you are using the stiff sheet of felt you may want to switch to softer material.  I am using yardage felt and it is very soft.  Would you kindly provide the names of the individual bottles...since once the package is tossed it is not identified as such on the label.  I bought many individual AI bottles before they were ever put into sets...Now I have a hard time connecting to the set names...thanks!

Sadie, great pieces in the gallery!...so glad you are playing in spite of not enjoying "messes"!

Stampwilly thanks for the info on the rubbing alcohol.  I like your new ink colors...and your combinations!  Thanks for adding more to the gallery!

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2015, 03:03:42 PM »
If you agate backgrounds are darker than you would like, you may want to try cut back on the ink by 2 less drops of one color and use a tad more BF.

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2015, 04:34:12 PM »
Lol!  Jan--sorry about leaving off the names---that totally makes sense that kit names don't tell the color names--duh, lol! 

My kit has the colors: Slate (grey), Currant (red), Meadow (green).

Some of my examples look like I used blues!

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2015, 05:18:54 PM »
Well, I went totally crazy at Joann's today! LOL. Drove hubby to work and had 3 hours to kill. Joann's had all the alcohol ink stuff on sale but not much in choices. So... I got gold and silver mixative in a package, and the AI's came in a package with Indigo, Mermaid and Teakwood.

Everyone's backgrounds look so awesome! i am hoping to have time either this evening or tomorrow after work to try some out!

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2015, 05:31:19 PM »
Ok I got this posting to have both my Challenge 2 examples   ;)

First one: currant and slate with birds

Second one: meadow and slate with tree

I noticed that on the back of some of my examples, there is color starting to come through (like the currant color for example)---is that "ok"?--meaning does that happen or am I using too much AI or BF??

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2015, 06:37:16 PM »
Oh Kathy sounds like being the chauffeur paid well today!  Now I hope you get playtime today.  And thanks for sharing about the sale, others maybe interested.

Melissa, yes if the ink is actually leaking through your glossy cardstock you may want to try using a little less.  I do have some ink on the back from ink getting onto the  craft sheet. While discussing such details I wanted to mentioned that AI can capture your fingerprints on the edge of your paper as you turn it (including showing your the actual rings).  I never saw it until I put it on my blog... :laughhard:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:00:41 PM by Far North »