Author Topic: Ann's February Challenge Feb 8th thru February 29th  (Read 3879 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Ann's February Challenge Feb 8th thru February 29th
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 03:22:29 PM »
Here is a simple card using a technique called stencil bumping.  I think this could be used with a wide variety of stencils.  Thank you for looking.

So pretty!  I wonder if you need to use paint for this or if ink would do?  Probably paint is what I am thinking...
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 03:27:19 PM »
Also, where do you buy stencils?  I have a few, but both Michaels and AC Moore do not have a good selection of stencils that have small enough designs for cards.  I have a Heidi Swapp one that I like.  I am not sure about the Tim Holtz ones because they are tag size instead of card size. 

Thoughts?
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 04:35:39 PM »
Here is a simple card using a technique called stencil bumping.  I think this could be used with a wide variety of stencils.  Thank you for looking.

So pretty!  I wonder if you need to use paint for this or if ink would do?  Probably paint is what I am thinking...
I didn't start using inks for stenciling until I got more heavily into stamping. Depending on so many variables I continue to find paint provides me with the control I prefer when I'm stenciling.

That said? Those who mostly know inks & papers will do just fine.

Far as finding stencils? Decide what/how you mostly want them for is my advice. But.. Any stencil (including home decor ones) Will work depending on how you use them
Stencils & stamps are our tools; not ends in themselves.
Daniel

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 09:24:57 PM »
Howdyheidi most of the online stores have stencils.  I like the Tim Holtz ones and Crafters Workshop stencils, prima also has some good ones.  The one I used on my card is a prima finnebar stencil.  Look at Simon Says or A Cherry on top, do a search for stencils and pages will pop up.  I have also purchased a few from Amazon....they have just about everything.  I usually compare prices and go with the store that is cheaper when taking shipping into consideration.

I use inks a lot when I stencil but for stencil bump technique paint works best because you want the bottom layer to stay, but you should try it with ink and see what happens.  Maybe use archival ink for the bottom layer and then a very opaque ink for the top.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:26:33 PM by CarefreeSadie »
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 04:58:12 PM »
I created a card with 2 different techniques and 2 stencils. Here is my link.  Thanks Ann for a fun challenge!

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 05:17:34 PM »
Great tips from others...Here's a few other thoughts about buying stencils...

I do not buy stencils larger than 6x6 because the are not proportioned for cards also I feel they would be a bugger to store. Crafter's Workshop makes stencils for many artists and sells them on their website.  Stencil Girl and Artistcellar does the same (they have a range of more artsy looks). 

I have several of Tim's stencils and personally love layering them or using portions of them in random combination with others. Or I think of them as patterns and they can be used to make your own patterned paper--and using the papers as you typically would.  Tim's stencils are easiest for me to look at on
Stamper's Annonymous.  They also provide the shipping date for new products.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 05:45:24 PM by Far North »