Author Topic: "Color It In" challenge 4 (3/21-3/31) Gel Pens!  (Read 1973 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
"Color It In" challenge 4 (3/21-3/31) Gel Pens!
« on: March 21, 2016, 09:48:51 AM »
:smitten: It is time for another coloring challenge!  :smitten:

Challenge Guidelines
1) Stamp an image.
2) Use the prompt of which type of coloring supplies you will use.**
3) Post a photo of the colored image in the gallery and post the link here. You may, but do not have to, make a completed project with your colored image. (Gallery name is HowdyHeidi Color Challenges 2016)

**You do not need to buy anything new to participate in these challenges.  If you *absolutely* do not have the type of coloring medium for the challenge, please just play along with the coloring medium of your choice.

**The Prompt for this challenge is GEL PENS!!  You can use them to color the whole image, or for a coloring accent.  So use those GEL PENS any way you can think of to color your stamped image!  You can use additional coloring mediums for this one, but also use the gel pen.**

Please ask any questions below and have fun!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: "Color It In" challenge 4 (3/21-3/31) Gel Pens!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 11:00:39 AM »
I have an idea for this one! I don't use my gel pens often, so this will be a challenge!

April :smile:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 11:03:11 AM »
Great, April! I had this idea to include this as a color challenge when I saw gel pens being sold with a coloring book for the current adult coloring book craze. I was surprised, but thought it might be worth a try!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 07:06:13 PM »
Great idea Heidi!  I hope to give it a try.  I usually just use them to accent.
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 07:40:52 PM »
I will have to check and see if they have dried up or not, they seem to go bad on me easily!

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 01:58:50 AM »
Gel pens seem to know when I am in the middle of a project and they totally stop writing at the worst possible moment.  Now I use them only for special accents. But then I have a hard time capturing the glimmer in the photo...unfortunately that happened in this project.

But the best news is I used a stamp that I haven't inked in 5years...and I still love it!

Here is the gallery link for this challenge.

...Jan
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 02:02:00 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 06:42:54 AM »
Jan, your egg stamp is lovely!  Thanks so much for playing along.

I heard from the Frugal Crafter that any gel pen will stop working well if you don't use them regularly.  She said this is one item that you only buy what you will use because they just don't store well.
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 04:27:00 PM »
Jan, your card is so pretty! Well, I have a story about my gel pens! All of my regular color ones were dried up because I have not used them forever. I had purchased some metallic colors of gel pens about a year ago. They colored great BUT the gold in the pens took over the colors ( even though I shook them up well) and I ended up with gold and copper flowers instead of red and blue metallic! This happened both on white and black card stock. That's okay, but when you are expecting colors it is strange! I made a card with the flowers on black and also showed how they look on white.

I had another idea using my white gel pen to accent on black stamped images, but my white gel pen had dried up too!

Here is my entry --

April

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2566#top_display_media

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 10:15:38 AM »
Oh April I hear you with the dried up pens. I agree it is best to use them regularly but I find that doesn't happen for me...just too many other coloring product choices. After experiencing short lives with many, many gel pens I find for me that a white gel pen and a clear gel sparkle pen are the only ones worth keeping on hand.  Others are not stocked in town and shipping in the winter is not practical since I have received them frozen and I am unable to recover them.  But I hope our color book lovers enjoy using them regularly.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:20:46 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 03:48:15 PM »
April, that is a bit odd with the gel pens only looking their metallic color.  I have had an issue where my orange carnelian colored embossing powder only looks copper on colored card, but orange on white, but at least it is different depending on the cardstock color.

I do think your card still turned out great!  Thanks for playing!

I do also like gold and silver gel pens to write with inside cars, and signo uniball has a set at staples that is their white, silver and gold. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 10:17:22 AM »
Here is my entry for the gel pen coloring.  I was pretty happy with them. I got a set for Christmas (plain set) and I find that the sparkle ones blend better.  I just blended by applying the lighter color, a little darker color and back over with the lighter.  In very small areas it works just great.

I did not post this, but I also messed around coloring first with a marker and then going over with the gel pen and that was a very nice look too!

I probably won't use them a lot, but this went better than expected.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 10:26:16 PM »
I needed a cheer up card, so I stamped flower, embossed and colored it with gel pens.
Good thing I am old enough to remember that if you heat the end of pen with lighter you can get the ink to flow again, cause they didn't want to work for me.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 06:35:09 AM »
Love your cheerful card, Yankee!  I am glad you got your gel pens to work again!  Thanks for playing along.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 07:51:49 PM »
bummed I never got around to this challenge, been so busy